Game will not start: Crash

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by djvicious, Jan 30, 2013.

1. djvicious

djvicious Registered

I don't want to sound like a broken record but a moderate search of startup crashes has turned up few results and no solutions.

I had rFactor 2 working fine before, but I have recently replaced my hard drive and reinstalled everything fresh, including rFactor 2.

DirectX is up to date.

The first issue I noticed is that the game wasn't saving my configuration settings. Every time I opened up the config console in the launcher it was back to the default 800x600 resolution, language: Deutsche settings, etc. There was no config.ini file in my User Data folder either.

When I went to launch the game, in Single Player, Online, and Dev Mode, there was a brief splash screen then the windows error crash.

What's going on?

Specs:

Amd Athlon quad core 940
    Asus M4A78-E mobo
    4gb OCZ DDR2 1000 RAM
    Sapphire Radeon HD5850
    Western Digital 1tb sata
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64

(Same specs as before, except I was using a Seagate Barracuda 1.5tb HDD)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2013
  2. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

If settings aren't saved it probably means you have installed in protected folder like default C:\Program files... You can run rF2 as administrator or reinstall it to some other location where you have full write permissions.

3. chrisdelta

chrisdelta Registered

I have a problem opening the rfactor2.

Yesterday everything worked fine. This morning I updated the ATI drivers to version 13.1 and no longer works rfactor2 me.

The screen stays black. and to give to enter I get this error:

I get this message: "Error creating standard default shader"!!!

I need help!!

Sorry if my English is very bad

4. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

You can try:
    -open rF2 configuration and set your graphics card again
    -uninstall and again install latest version of the AMD drivers
    -uninstall and install older version of the AMD drivers

5. chrisdelta

chrisdelta Registered

I've done a system restore but the problem persists.

Black screen ....

6. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

System restore is not the same. Try it anyway. You can also try to reinstall rF2.

7. fastorro

fastorro Registered

Awaiting info, same problem for me with new ati drivers

8. djvicious

djvicious Registered

Strange. I reinstalled the game but set the data folder to elsewhere on the computer. Unfortunately I forgot to specify I wanted the data in an rFactor 2 folder. The game worked, but I could not for the life of me change the data folder to the rFactor 2 folder I had created using the launcher settings. So I reinstalled the game again, putting the data folder into the default My Documents location. Once again the game crashed without me changing any of the config settings before hand. I turned the windows firewall off to see if it was an access issue, but to no avail.

:EDIT: I have the game working now. Once again I reinstalled with the data folder in a different spot and correctly labeled. There is either an issue with windows blocking access to my 'my documents' folder, even with the firewall off, so maybe a UAC issue? Or, that my windows username is CÆMERON and it's having an issue recognizing letters. Thank you to the above suggestions, they helped, but I would like some further input on the root of the issue, and I'm talking to you ISI :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2013
  9. MJP

MJP Registered

It's your windows username, tbh I thought this problem had been fixed ages ago but I've just tried a B134 test install and the problem still exists.

edit:- Oh dear something else that I'd understood to have been fixed..... 'Change Data Path' in the advanced launcher tab still mangles the data.path file.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2013