[OT] Remember when? OLD racing games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Richard Chmielewski, Jan 24, 2013.

1. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

haha

No you heard right.

2. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

I would hate to know how many hours I pounded around Indianapolis in Indy 500 on the A500 with a joystick.

Surprised no one has mentioned (or maybe I missed it), Stunt Car Racer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjuVBnvA1EI

3. JGraf

JGraf Registered

4. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Long time ago. I think it was between 1995 and 1996.
    Me and a friend the hole weekend many times with grand prix 2 from MicroPose :).

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

:cool:

Paper golf was better you had to flick in the hole and out of bounds was one stroke. p

6. Richard Chmielewski

Richard Chmielewski Registered

MY brother and I made up our own game.

We would carve a race track into the dirt, dragging out feet along the gravel to make the corners.

Then we would take turns flicking a bottle cap along the racing circuit.

7. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

A bottle cap?!? Lucky! Mr. La-Di-da had a bottle cap! We had to play dirt racing with a dried-up beetle and we didn't have dirt, we had mud.

:D

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

This thread is OK. We don't have an OT section to try to minimize it being posted here (I don't want to have to moderate someone elses product discussion or whatever Snooki is doing right now). ;)

I've never had a console, started with a Commodore Vic-20, then a 64, then an Amiga 600 (first computer that was "mine" rather than "for the family", then an "IBM PC" (I still use the Windows 3.1 keyboard nav commands every day). I played the early ones like Stunt Car Racer, Nigel Mansells World Championship, Days of Thunder, Skidmarks, F1GP, etc. Pretty much all of these. First wheel I had was a Logic 3 on the Amiga. F1GP and F1GP2 kept me busy for a long time really, as I would use the editors to update each season, and work out the strengths according to real results (same method I used with the rF2 F2 AI). Then I went the Papyrus route, NASCAR2, ICR2 were two I stuck with again for a while. Then GPL, which was huge for me, and still is, even though I haven't run it in years. Then N2003 and F1C replaced that. Then iRacing and rF replaced those, and now I hardly race anything as typing gets in the way of racing. ;) But when I do, I do rF2. :D

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

When I was a lad, we used to have to get up half an hour before we went to bed.... :)

10. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

You know Max, Revs and Revs+ was my first experiences for simracing back then. I have driven thousands and thousands laps around Silverstone and Nurburgring with that F3 car... :)

Btw, I'm building Crammond's Stunt Car Racer - inspired track (variation of infamous SkiJump) for rF2. It's still very early stage, but driveable. It is fun to try balance car's on-the-air flying to landing zone after 200 meters long jump...:cool:

Cheers!

11. Minibull

Minibull Member

First racing game would have been Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco Grand Prix 2, on the Sega Mastersystem II of course XD

From there, it would be to the PC with Microprose Formula 1 Grand Prix, and eventually Indycar Racing 2

And then to the PS1 with Gran Turismo, Toca 2, NFS Porsche Unleashed (bloody great game IMO) and Total Drivin'

Proper simming started with GT Legends. Drove it with a joystick for the first few months...boy oh boy...
    Then through all the Simbin titles. GPL, RBR and now to ISI and where we are now XD

12. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Indy 500 The Simulation. On 3.5 and 5 1/2 floppy. Still have them.

13. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

I just remembered something about my first PC sim. I didn't have a wheel but I had a fairly nice joystick so I played (and destroyed) the AI at TOCA that way. Somehow it worked for me imagining the car as a fighter jet that flew in 2D.

Well played, sir!

14. Flaux

Flaux Registered

PC
    First sim: Stunt car
    First modding for: gp2
    First online race: Gtr

Console:
    First racing game: Ferrari Grand Prix Challange

15. Jos

Jos Registered

16. satans_pet_penguin

satans_pet_penguin Registered

Wow, that one brings back memories! It was the first ever PC racing game I played. I got my first computer at 12, complete with a copy of the amazing Windows 95 and selection of DOS games. Go Fishing, Interior Designer, and Network Q Rally...good times...

17. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

God! I feel old after watching this topic.
    Funny thing is, I still have most of those titles.
    I don't think I've ever thrown away a racing game.
    I remember when I got my first 3DFX card. Suddenly F1RST became the cat's meow.

18. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Oh btw Tim here is an on-topic video related to rf2's possible podium sequence...

Ubisofts F1 Racing Championship. (anyone remembers this piece of software?)

19. SVO

SVO Registered

I bought 2 3dfx cards (and still have them) specifically for Red Baron 3D. I logged in thousands of hours flying that.

20. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Same here. One rainy day I'm going to install Win98 or XP one one of the PCs I have laying around and pay a few of them again.