[OT] Remember when? OLD racing games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Richard Chmielewski, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Richard Chmielewski

Richard Chmielewski Registered

So what are some of the oldest racing games you can remember playing? I have noticed that so many sim racers got their start in games like Forza, or perhaps one of the Gran Tourismo series. But those games are fairly mew. Not that I am that old, but I can remember games from way before that.

Stunt Driver
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0zVP7jxVJ4

wow, this brings back some memories. The PC I had back then could barely play this. It was so choppy, but it was so real back then! In this one, you get to driver a mustang, and race around a few stunt courses. With loops, and corkscrew jumps. Yeah that's awesome! And the best part about it was you could build your own tracks!

Viruta Racing Deluxe
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kBsIu0ZRt8

I can't believe how much money my mom spent on a 32X for my Sega system. And then I couldn't play it cause my TV didn't have an RCA input jack! After buying the proper cords, I finally got to race what seemed like the most realistic thing ever. 3d race cars, on 3d tracks. You could even switch from different views, including an interior cockpit view! 3 different cars that handle differently. This is something that was kind of new to racing back then. Sure it looks dated now, but boy I had many good hours with this one.

So what are some of your old favorites?

If this thread needs to be moved, please do so, or if it is inappropriate, it can be removed.

2. spider19462000

spider19462000 Registered

One of my favs was monaco Gp on the mega drive,,also known as genisis

3. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

My first PC racing game, ( the vid) I had one friend who had a computer with this game on it we used to take turns driving with the keyboard.... aahhh the good ole days..@ Spider I remember Monaco GP as well loved it!

4. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

I am old. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revs_(video_game)

... and, you can believe me or not, i had a flash in real life, when i had an accident with my car, crashing in iced highway against the guard rail, losing the front left tire, with the open bonnet covering the windshield, trying to keep the car straight on the road.
    The flash was -wow, it is just like in Revs- :)

5. spider19462000

spider19462000 Registered

Not forgetting the one and only TOCA 2:D on the ps1

6. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Thats how I was persuaded to enter devil pc world.

next step was a Microsoft Sidewinder :D

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2013
  7. Jan Cato Larsen

Jan Cato Larsen Registered

8. Novis

Novis Registered

I would have been either a Sprint variant

or Night Driver

9. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Revs on a BBC model b, I also have vague memories of something on my ZX81 typed in from a magazine...

10. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

this thread is bring back lots of memories I remember that Atari game from way back

11. Bouillabaise

Bouillabaise Registered

1st contact : Vroom (on Pc, not Amiga)

And only 4 years later : Monaco Grand Prix Racing Simulation 2 (always on Pc). A big slap in 1998 :rolleyes:
    This opening :eek:

12. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

Wow. I feel pretty young when my first real memories of racing games go to indy car racing, nascar racing.. i remember my buddys comp had not enough ram to display more than a couple of stock cars with textures, the remaining were just colored polygons.

Still had great times playing those with my buddy via serial cable lol those were the days..

13. Novis

Novis Registered

When I bought my first computer a Commodore 64, I remember Pitstop 2 (1984) as being the best. You had not only to drive but control you crew during pitstops.

After that came one of the greatest racing games of all time; Formula 1 Grand Prix on the Amiga (1992). I played that game more than anything before.

14. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Stunt Driver, my goodness that game was so fun in that time. So nice memories :D

15. Novis

Novis Registered

My first racing game on the PC that was a clear step from F1GP was Indycar Racing 2 (1995). I had to buy a Rendition card just to get the 3D accelerated version. About here I also got my first steering wheel. The Thrustmaster GP1 with analog paddles.

[​IMG]

16. satans_pet_penguin

satans_pet_penguin Registered

I remember my first racing game well. I was around 8 or 9 and I got a Sega Megadrive for Christmas, and the extra game I chose to go with it was Virtual Racing. I thought the 3D graphics were amazing at the time...it was such a blast pretending to be an F1 driver.

17. Spadge

Spadge Registered

Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge on the Atari ST. Split screen player vs player, heck yeah.

lotus-esprit-turbo-challenge.png

(screenshot might be from Amiga version)

18. Novis

Novis Registered

Yeah! GP2 was the first time I played against another player connected (serial).

19. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Remembering? I am still hotlapping in Stunts (or 4D Sports Driving) :D

20. Sam Moss

Sam Moss Registered

First racing games was Vroom and Microprose F1GP for the Commadore. First PC game was GP2, Toca 2 and Powerslide.

Powerslide was an ace offroad game with very hard AI and some cool music :cool: