[OT]Logitech in big financial troubles....sim-racing world in big troubles?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTClub_wajdi, Jan 24, 2013.

1. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

That means , no G27, no DFGT....??!I think that 80% of sim-racers uses Logitech steering wheels! I don't think that every one can afford to buy t500rs or Fanatec products that cost too much specially with economic crisis affecting the global world!

2. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Thanks for the heads up, interesting development indeed.

'Happy go lucky' might say that since G27 and DFGT are having such a big piece of the market pie, it might be something they would continue to manufacture. Maybe putting the development of the next generation into hold would be the money saving action, but to kill an established production line of still strong selling product would be unwise.
    "company to focus on PC-related products and maximize profitability" Would suggest that there is no plans to cut pc-related projects.
    Maximize profitability is a term that can affect quality, development, manufacturing, but then it would mean that the competition would take over parts of the market previously Logitech dominated which is not a good business manover.

I wouldnt be too concerned about this news as a pc sim racer. Obviously time will tell how things playout, but for now in my opinnion 'happy go lucky' attitude is the way to go.

3. Axly

Axly Registered

Interesting to see if the wheels are placed in the "game console peripherals" or "PC-related products"...
    Sounds a bit risky though.

4. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Logitech has a wide range of products, I think this keeps a company alive for quite long, they are really late for G27 replacement though..

5. Jos

Jos Registered

Makes sense, they give their products away for free, they gave me free replacement g27, that was worth 300 e at the time !!

6. Richard Chmielewski

Richard Chmielewski Registered

They did something similar for me with 2 Driving Force Pros. They stopped working properly, so they sent me new ones. The second one they gave me money towards the G25 I am still using. They even encouraged me to give my old "broken" wheels to my friends.

How a company can continue to function in such a way is beyond me. But I am not a business oriented guy.

P C related material? Mouse, keyboard, webcam.....hopefully wheels and game pads stay on that list too. Although I am not sure of what they make for console based systems.

Well, if they start selling existing product at steep discounts, I guess it will be time to buy!

7. spider19462000

spider19462000 Registered

Guys,can i have your advice please,looking at picking one of these up tommorow Logitech Driving Force GT Steering wheel by Logitech
    I am resticted with my budget,this is costing £99.
    Its the only way to get the force feedback for the money,,are these any good,a bit off topic i know:D

8. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

go for a second hand g25 spider, they are very well made, totally different class.

9. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Everyone I know who has one LOVES the wheel but say the pedals are cheap.

What are you using now btw? I'll tell you what to get. hahaha. I love spending other peoples money. :p

10. spider19462000

Promise not to laugh,but i am using a Thrustmaster Ferrari GT Experience Racing Wheel 3-in-1 (PC/PS3) .

11. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Beat that thing with a stick and it won't break. Fantastic wheel as well but the only drawback it isn't 900 degrees. Yeah, if you have the cash to upgrade to a DFGT go for it. I'd much prefer a brand new DFGT over a used g25/27 any day of the week. I'll put my own ball sweat on it thank you.

12. spider19462000

I'll put my own ball sweat on it thank you.

God,, thats a mental picture i never whant to see again,lol
    Thanks for the advice,,and thanks to nickos as well

13. Golanv

Golanv Registered

The man with disturbing metaphors is correct.
    It is a great wheel, I had one and I had no issues what so ever, its still going on my friends wheel stand. Only minus is the lack of the clutch pedal, which my other friend for the same kind of wheel made out of old pedals as a seperate unit.
    The pedal issue people talk about is that they are plastic and theres no resistance on the brake pedal but its easy to fix with a little brake mod I used, that will cost you 3£ max. What you need is a squash ball and little duct tape and the brake becames just as good as in any loadcelless unit out there.

I didnt use the bungee cord at all, and I just used duct tape to keep the squash ball still so it doesnt have change to roll around under the pedal. Works like a swiss clock.

Compairing to G25/27, its alot cheaper, it has more buttons on the wheel which is always good, and I like the rubber grip better than the g27 one.
    It doesnt have a cluch, it doesnt come with a H pattern gear shifter and the build is not quite as sturdy.
    Being a 900 degree wheel and as quality product as it is, the price is more than well worth it and I can recommend that to any sim racer on the budget any day.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2013
  14. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

and then sudenly at hard breaking, ball pops out and hits passing cat at forehead lolol

15. TTupsi

TTupsi Registered

Driving Force GT is indeed a nice wheel but the pedals are rubbish. At least compared to G27. I can guarantee you, do not try more fancy wheels if don't plan to buy them or you'll end up buying one after all :D

16. Golanv

Golanv Registered

LOL, nikos cats are quick learners they know not to come around when you are racing next time :p
    The added mechanical failure just brings another aspect of realism to the equation.

17. spider19462000

Been onto youtube,checked a lot of vids about the DFGT,and have listened to your advice,and have decided to get one tomorrow.
    Thanks for your help guys,will let you know how i get on with it:D

18. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

I'm surprised Harmony isn't a money maker for them. Anyway, I hope I can snag a deal on a Harmony Touch to replace my aging H1 :D

As mentioned above, the G27 is overdue for replacement. Logitech is falling behind Fanatec in terms of features but maybe their strategy is to simply compete in the middle-tier. Financial troubles don't bode well for R&D on a G27 replacement.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2013
  19. osella

osella Registered

I would also recommend searching for used G25 because well, that's exactly what I did. Bought mine in auction for 120euro when it still had 1 year warranty left. Few days ago it celebrated 3 years in my hands (so 4 years total) :D . Except the shifter everything works 100% perfectly. The shifter is obviously the weaker part, doesn't last long at all with slightly brutal treatment, but it can't be perfect considering it would cost few euros if sold separately.
    After those years there's still nothing that beats G25/7 in price to quality ratio. There are better wheels but they are exponentially more expensive and there are cheaper wheels which are usually much worse. People praise DFGT so I'm sure it's a decent wheel but in different class than G25+.

20. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I use the h-shifter all the time, very durable, first time Ive heard it braking is from you Osella, are you sure you didnt hit it with a hammer?