Triple monitor vs large HDTV setups

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dsuspense, Jan 22, 2013.

1. dsuspense

dsuspense Registered

I currently run rF2 on a laptop with HDMI out to my 32" HDTV as my monitor (sits about 18" in front of my wheel).
    I guess if I had a PC tower with a video card that supported 3 HDMI/DVI outputs I would try triple monitor setup, but I like the quality and look of HDMI out to an HDTV instead.
    May eventually go up to a 37" or 40" HDTV at some point.
    Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on playing rF2 on triple monitor vs large HDTV setups...

2. Bart S

Bart S Member

I think 3 screens are superior to a larger single screen its just alot more immersive especially when you start wrapping them round you.
    A smaller screen is just as good as a larger screen if you bring it closer to you suddenly a 24 inch can feel like a 46 inch.
    This may be an intresting read for you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HDTV_viewing_distance

3. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

triple screen is the way and it isn't even close! before I had a 42" fullhd then I switched to a triple screen setup and my simracing life is changed! I will never go back to a one screen setup!

[​IMG]

4. Golanv

Golanv Registered

I have 42" LG that I bought particularly having gaming as priority. Low input lag and 50hz technology. I have it right in front of my wheel and the hight adjusted so that I get realistic FOV, I just wish it would be wider with wider resolution.
    I'd say that good big tv or projector, is a good choise if you wanna use your money wisely and want to use that screen for other stuff properly aswell, like movies, tv etc... viewing. 3D is something to think about aswell since its improving as we speak and is totally viable in sim racing these days.
    Picture ratio of 16:9 is not really the optimal for sim racing because of our field of vision and more importantly the view out of a car is also only as good as its windows allow, even in open wheel cars its the car that blocks the vision downwards and whats up is not important.
    This is where the 3 screen system comes to play, and it is atm. from affortable wider than widescreen systems probably the most common and easiest to setup. Its not cheap tho, 3 monitors of lets say 27" and a graphic card or two that can run that kind of resolution with satisfying results, is not cheap. Another plus that can be said about the 3 screens is that you get to set them so that turning your head like in a real car is the way to look out of the driver side window for example, and that brings another step towards realism. If I would have the money, I would have invested into this kind of system a long time ago, but I know that I wouldnt want to compromise in the looks of the games as much as my wallet gives, so I stick with tv for now.

To get a wider field of view for sims, is possible with other ways than 3 screen rigs. For exampe theres projectors that you can have what ever kind of field of view you want and the size is much greater, at its best bringing it to 1:1 with a real car. Also curved screen can be worked out with a projector.
    Problem with a projector is that you dont just set it on a table or a rig if you want a realistic FOV. Setting it up takes extra space and getting your rig so that the FOV is good, can take some doing, but the end result usually is top notch and worth it in a long run.

There is also tvs that are wider than the regular widescreen tv.
    Phillips (discontinued) and few other brands has 21:9 ratio (cinema picture ratio) tv's, but they are quite expensive usually and with that money you can get a bigger and better with projector, or aquire the stuff needed for 3 screen system. Then again these 3 screens arent really that great for other uses than gaming. Theres curved screens aswell but I cant say anything about them, other than looks cool and probably expensive. This most likely becomes more common when OLED technology evolves and becomes more consumer friendly.

With all these wider screen solutions you have to remember that the resolution needs to be higher than the regular "full HD" 1920x1080 so the picture ratio is correct and it doesnt get distorted when streched for fullscreen, and that takes more juice out of your pc, which is possible with more money.

5. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

I used to play in a 26" monitor and tryed triple screen.
    For no matter reasons had to go back to single screen and what i can tell is i can't play no more with single screen.
    I read some where if you go to build a sim rig, triple screens are essential.
    In order of priority (where i put money first) to me in a sim rig today:
    1. Triple screens
    2. Steering wheel/pedals
    3. Gfx/processor
    4. Custom h-shifter
    5. Somewhere to sit

6. Luc1gnol0

Luc1gnol0 Registered

imho 1 tv40" > 3 tv23"

i create my playset for buy a single big monitor...

this is the result... (sorry for the game xD)

7. taufikp

taufikp Registered

[​IMG]

Buy one small LCD screen such as pictured above (5.6 inch), buy two 5x loupe/magnifier pocket lens, buy a cheap ski goggle, combine them with a head tracker device such as Razor Hydra, put them altogether, install stereo 3d driver (such as one from TriDef), and you'll get an HMD with 3d effect and head tracking similar to Oculus Rift. :)

8. polepositiondriver

polepositiondriver Registered

I've always found more screens help to emerse you into the game more by wrapping around you.

I run 3x 23" screens and while 27"s would better I would prefer 3 smaller screens than 1 big one.

I also like the screen to be as close as possible to me, a screen up closer looks bigger :)

[​IMG]

More details on the rig can be found here:
    http://www.polepositiondriver.com/2013/01/03/the-new-test-sim-rig-is-in-progress/

9. ccjcc81

ccjcc81 Registered

I use a 40" hdtv and I don't think it's enough. I intend to buy 2 more 40" hdtvs when I can.

10. polepositiondriver

Nice setup you have there. I love it.

11. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

I like the close TV setup, will probably do similar for mine rig.

How does it affect on the eyes?

12. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

Triple screens show much more than a big screen.

[​IMG]

13. Luc1gnol0

Luc1gnol0 Registered

no problem, absolutely ...

14. Golanv

Golanv Registered

I havent noticed any problems with my eyes from having the tv close up. I have it as close as I can, the wheel prevents it from being any closer. I even watch tv mostly from quite close range, 1.5-2 meters.
    Obviously the bigger the tv, larger the pixels are at 1920x1080 which eventually can get too large, which in graphics wise is in favour of 3smaller screens.

15. Golanv

Golanv Registered

I want your rig.

16. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

There are a number of pro's and con's for single and triple. There are even a couple of pro's for a 5 monitor setup if you look around a bit.

Let me sum it up for you:

Money - Single large TV costs less than Triple Monitors which cost less than Triple projectors. Single Large TV can be run on a single graphics card, Triple monitors can be run on a single graphics card with some things turned down, Triple projectors can be run on a single card with some things turned down, Triple monitors with a resolution higher than 1920 X 1080 will likely require at least 2 graphics cards and maybe more.

FOV - Single large TV at best can give you around 90 degrees of horizontal FOV, Triple monitors can give you up to and more than 180 degrees depending on size and how they are positioned, Triple projectors are capable of wrapping around you for nearly 220 degrees with the right hardware.

Clarity of Image - Single Large TV will have large pixels and will look grainy when up close, Triple monitors are smaller so have smaller pixels and look clearer, Triple Projectors have a larger size usually so will look grainy as well.

Space Required - Single Large TV requires the least amount of space, Triple monitors require quite a bit of space and usually special mounting hardware if not setup on a desk of some sort, Triple Projectors can take up a huge amount of space depending on what you want to do for your screen.

Finally there is one thing that triple monitors can do which really puts them over the top for me. Triple monitors are capable of much higher resolution than any other option with monitors capable of 2560x1600 and the other options won't even get close.

17. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

TWO PROJECTORS...

There I said it. You would need blending software but that would be my ultimate. Not TOO expensive and big enough to be insane and wrap-around.

18. Golanv

Golanv Registered

19. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

The second videos appears to that the screen is too high and far from steering wheel.
    The first one seems to me a better imersion but itsca little distorted.
    Still prefer triples like flatspotter rig and hoping oculus rift do what i imagine it can do in near future.

20. polepositiondriver

If you are considering running triple screen, most new graphics cards will offer triple screen Eyefinity support.

The only thing i've noticed is that there aren't many triple screen mounts around, and most of those are quite expensive.