Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

sometimes it is good to be in the first row. I think the vr aproach from oculus with the rift has a big future not only in the gaming and sim department also for watching movies.
    Since we know that ISI got a order to integrate VR support I have to agree with Mrslfrsl.

2. Depco

Depco Registered

If the groundwork is not laid using the dev kit then when the CV1 kit drops their (ISI's) software won't be ready for it. In order to make sure the software is ready for prime time you should release it to the early adopters to test and work out the bugs. At least that is what ISI did with their work on rF2. In fact, people paid for the privilege to test the sim while they worked on it...

Just because you don't see a reason to jump on the bandwagon doesn't mean that they shouldn't anyways.

3. PaulG

PaulG Registered

If you're getting your ass kicked, it's not going to be because the screen door. Sorry. Now maybe you don't want realism in tintops and don't want to deal with blindspots that occur in real cars, but any short comings are not going to be because of the screen door effect. So I'm not sure what in the world you're talking about, but you do seem like a contrarian on everything, so I'm not surprised.

4. samuelw

samuelw Registered

I received my DK2 a couple weeks ago. Even though the DK2's resolution could be better the DK2 has replaced monitors for my sim racing. With DK2 I no longer sim race while watching a 2D scene scroll across my monitor. Instead I now race within a 3d world. Some examples why. Previously I hated low speed tight corners. They just did't feel real. DK2 cures that. Sometimes car slides didn't feel realistic which I attributed to a physics flaw. With DK2 the physics are spot on. I believe I drive better even with the current limitations of the DK2. I judge distances better, I place the car better, and I catch slides better for a few examples. My prediction is that Oculus Rift and VR will change everything including gaming and simming. (Think remotely operating heavy equipment while you sit on your couch) I agree no one will buy rF2 because it supports Oculus Rift but soon no serious sim racer will drive a sim without some form of VR.
    SW

5. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Well this is all just assuming that ISI isn't working on it in the first place. A regular user around here should have noticed nothing is written in stone and you won't get any hype train from ISI other than a blurb two or three weeks before release.

Anyway, I just don't see a difference in a month or two of development now,just a complete guess on time here, or a month or two of development when a consumer version is released. This isn't a mainstream game that relies on the PC Gamer review and the current dev kit 2 users scare tactics don't really hold much water IMO.

6. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Do you have any difficulty to find yours shifter and shifting with it?
    Is it possible to do lung endurance races with it, 2-3 h of race?
    Is the final product going to have a better resultion?
    Thanks

7. stonec

stonec Registered

It's also a question about investment, you have to be really passionate to buy an expensive product that is obsolete in half a year or so when the release version is out. I also think "serious" sim racers will do just fine without a VR for a long time, for example triple-screen users are a small small minority in our league which is one of the best in world (reading these forums it would seem like every second user has triple screens). As long as it doesn't provide a competitive advantage, it's more of an immersion thing for those who really care to invest.

8. stonec

stonec Registered

Doug: What about new technology with the virtual headsets? Any updated news to report?

Gjon: We did some work on it with the original Rift device. We already had some of the basics in there from earlier products and the Rift work enhanced this further. At some point soon we will carve out time and finish this up for not only the Rift but for all devices of this class.

9. Miro

Miro Registered

No.
    Once u get used to it, yes.
    Yes.

10. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

The only advantage of the Oculus Dev Kit 2 support right now is the free marketing by different venues using different gaming genre to showcase the experience. Live For Speed was big since it is publicly available and not too expensive, pCARS was used when possible given the eye candy LFS lacks being from the last decade and a bit. It's difficult to see rF2 getting any coverage or hype given that "it's already been done" with DK1 on LFS and pCARS. Even Assetto that has the support now doesn't have videos popping up everywhere especially not on digital gaming venues.

The ship has sailed on that front. No point pushing it.

11. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Guimengo.
    Do really think the proper integration of vr is a two day job ! ^^ If you begin with the development at the same time as a customer version is released you are perfectly to late. What do think is the sense behind a development kit ^^?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2014
  12. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

I don't seem to be any slower in the dk2, in fact I am not. As far as competitive advantage, I mostly hear people saying how it has improved things. The most common one I hear is recovering from slides. You can sense your car sliding in the rift earlier than you can on monitors.

Sim racing in competitive to some people. Not all people. Some people will gladly give up some speed for the extra immersion. This happened for DK1 but it seems it is not the case for DK2, you can have your rift and keep your speed too.

At the moment the sims that do support the rift also have healthy competition which is something I see lacking in RF2 with a lack of leagues adopting it.

If rf2 really the place to be at the moment if you want the most competitive racing available?

13. Jamie Shorting

To each their own I suppose. I know if I was looking through a screen door and reduced my resolution by half I'd struggle with seeing very far into the distance. Almost all of the Oculus fanboys over at iracing said they were much slower and struggled around traffic as well.

As far as DK2 being the key to making millions for ISI I think that's just a bunch of scare tactics hogwash. Also like I said, for all we know, ISI is currently working on it and when consumer version is released rF2 will be compatible from day one and then rF2 will explode in popularity. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2014
  14. stonec

stonec Registered

Too late for what? As ISI stated, they will at some point finish the code necessary for all types of virtual headsets. Then probably simple plugins will be able to handle more specific support for Rift.

15. 7xu5

7xu5 Registered

Lol. isi has demonstrated its lack of vision in the oculus matter. In my opinion the decision in this matter is wrong, but time will give us the answer.

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

think this has been posted before, hand/finger tracking with no gloves, I really hope this catches on too
    ( & the SDK is easy to work with for devs etc ) if it does I bet it will eventually also be included in our favourite sims

http://youtu.be/7qCoOo9Agjg

a lot of dk2 users on the Iracing forums are claiming it's making them faster, for me I think about the same but so very much more of an immersive experience + better spacious awareness thus hopefully less incidents ( I'll know this season lol )

17. Depco

Depco Registered

The simple fact of the matter is that ISI needs to do SOMETHING. rF2 is dying. Online numbers are abysmal. rF2 is unquestionably the most full featured, league friendly Sim. (iRacing is in a different category as far as I'm concerned) However, a league is no good if they don't have any sort of sizable grid. rF2 has been loosing players to AC; that is undeniable. The most successful leagues have decent numbers but there are maybe 4-5 leagues that have a passable grid during their races. AC has people playing it, online numbers are very good, with active servers always up and running. For this reason alone our league is finishing its last race in its current series and then moving to AC as its preferred game. rF2 may be a secondary, off week, option, but that has not yet been decided. I see other leagues moving on from rF2 as well.

The point of this is that ISI needs to get on the Oculus bandwagon and do other marketing type activities if they have a prayer of keeping rF2 relevant and popular. Simply relying on the community to fill the obvious void in content and development is no longer working and it shows.

18. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

I've totally forgotten that you are a dev. sry ...

19. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

'rF2 is dying'...?

What, because the servers at AC are full of kids ramming each other..? Sure. Oh yeah... :rolleyes:

Saying that rF2 is dead is the new black, it seems. Nonsensical sure, but it's oh so cool nonetheless. :D

As a matter of fact, this Saturday I couldn't choose which server I should join. I haven't seen as many people online in quite a while, but the numbers are growing.

There is more and more official content, more and more brilliant third party content. EnduRacers coming too. Oval racing in the near future.

But yeah, rF2 has really gone south, I see what you're on about... :D

20. Jamie Shorting

pick up/pub racing has never been popular in rF2 as far as I can remember so saying "rF2 is dying" doesn't really make a whole lot of sense since it was never really "alive" in the first place. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.