Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

My rift is now "processing"! :D

2. Major_Parts

Major_Parts Registered

I can't get rf2 to work with the OR. Followed all the tridef instructions, all the plugin instructions....everything. rf2 just starts as though I'm running it normally..no dual side by side images, no tridef OSD, nothing! I even get a message sometimes telling me that rf2 doesn't use direct3d 9 10 or 11 and may not be compatible, but not always.
    Shouldn't be this bloody hard, especially when searching everyone says how wonderful it is straight away.

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

some can get it to work -I can Partially but have ran out of energy even fiddling to do it each time,
    I'll come back to rf2 when integrated support is sorted & look forward to that.
    in the meantime ....Iracing! ( when their site is back up lol )

4. Major_Parts

Major_Parts Registered

I wouldn't mind, but nothing works with this tridef thing. I managed to get left 4 dead working with vireio but it was ****. Half Life 2 works through steamVR. Nothing at all works with tridef and it's as though tridef isn't even there. Something that has a 14 day free trial shouldn't take 15 days to work!

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I'm not going to fiddle or use anything in the future that dosnt have good integrated support as I realised without it just starts to spoil what I think is otherwise an amazing piece of hardware & a step forward in visual tech

rf2 is my favourite sim & ISI have stated support will come, so I'm happy to wait until then, in the mean time I'll be at Iracing
    ( assuming their dk2 support is good .....their still updating, will try it tonight )

edit yes I brought tridef ....sigh )-: ...foolish of me

6. Depco

Depco Registered

Remember that DK2 stands for "Developers Kit 2". It was not meant to be in the hands of the average computer user. However, I am sure Oculus is very pleased with the hunger for their product. I myself am waiting for the consumer release even though I want very badly to get the DK2. I simply dont have the time to fiddle and adjust and tweak. I want something that works out of the box. Of course, that is completely on Tim and the team to implement the Rift SDK into their software. And judging by their relative silence on this matter I suspect they dont see a need or are too busy with 3rd party developers doing other projects.

7. vali

vali Registered

I find myself in the same situation (even as I like the tinkering).

8. Miro

Miro Registered

That is so true.
    I got it to work in rf2 but I get a bit dizzy because the tracking is not working 100% spot on and the dimensions are just a bit of. I just get dizzy if everything isn't working 100% with the rift.

Otherwise after a few days now I really think that ISI has missed here an opportunity a bit. I think that rF2 could work amazing with the rift if everything is spot on. Had some moments where you have to stop on track and just smile and look around. The cockpit lighting in rF2 is unmatched IMO. At times you can barely see something because there is so much going on in the cockpit lol. Nightracing, cloudy weather, some special times of the day.... a lot of stuff looks very very nice in rf2 with the rift.

Sadly this showcase was missed here, meanwhile all the major sims have WIP support. Some more advanced some less but at least you can use it.

9. Major_Parts

Major_Parts Registered

well, I got it to work eventually...something to do with win7 only having dx11. Saying that though, it doesn't work 100% yet...head tracking decided not to work afterwards and sorting out convergence stuff is a bit of a mystery.

10. stonec

stonec Registered

ISI is a small team and they probably have priorities elsewhere than to get support for some developer product. It's a nice PR move to support it but it won't have any impact for 99% of users, so why waste time on implementing support for different dev versions if it can be implemented once, for the final consumer product.

11. Miro

Miro Registered

Small team or not it doesn't matter really TBH. There are bearly big simracing dev teams.

With the rift you can hook up users as it showcases rF2 really good and with the rift you obviously spend more time with the sim than just 10 laps. Also most people with the Occulus Rift in the simracing scene are more or less die hard simracers, so it wouldn't be a bad move to get those folks onboard. I do not belive it is a hard task to intergrate it anyways.

I don't see it as a waste of time at all, actually at this moment I can't see the time better spent. Later on when every body has it....well yeah rF2 users might get the kiss too. The DK2 doesn't differ from the CV version regarding implementation at all, that was said by the Oculus team. But yeah, who the hell cares. Don't implement it at all, it is a waste of time anyways like all the peole talking about it, buying it, spending time with it, it is all a waste of time anyways.

I am not sure you got that percentage number right tho.

EDIT:

Sounds a bit frustrated maybe. But it made me frustrated really. I even had an iRacing race lol yesterday which would have never possible without their rift implementation. And I bought Spa just to compare it to AC. They have improved a lot but still the FFB on the limit is useless. I have spent the majority of my simracing time in AC since I have the rift and that isn't either my sim to go.
    It is just rF2 where you shall not have it because whatever. The time spent now would effectivly have been better on the implementation than later on I belive. If the new UI is some sort of hurdle I don't know.
    It is indeed frustrating but I'll cool down eventually again lol.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2014
  12. Depco

Depco Registered

At this point Oculus has stated that their SDK is representative of the final consumer product and that software developed with it will be compatible with CV1. The fact that this thread is 63 pages long shows more than just passing interest.

This is really just indicative of Tim and the dev's attitude on their game. "It is good enough and no additional marketing is needed." The Rift is as much a marketing tool as it is a cool piece of kit. There is a reason that numbers online are abysmal. Lack of vision from Tim and the boys. rF2 is a phenomenal game with poor mass appeal, or even appeal to those involved in the genre. It just isn't marketed or pushed in any respect at all. The development team assuming that the success of rF1 would carry them through. Clearly they were wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2014
  13. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Tried AC and it's enjoyable once I got it up and running ,it runs nicely , iracing worked very well to - nice menu but they have still work to do , both had no problem with FPS but both were a little boring after awhile , it surprises me to say that pCars in DK2 is by far the best , it looks the best , it runs the best , it even feel the best IMO , I can only imagine how GSC and rF2 my favoured games will look and feel .

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

been having a total blast in the Iracing radical, I'll be doing that all next season & maybe the one after
    Iracing 1st implementation (for me & generally most others it seems ) is trouble free,
    no cam tracking though but it's being working on right now & update coming (6 weeks are before)
    surprisingly I'm getting no nausea & that's using motion too

impossible for me to go back to a monitor(s) the thought of it is like someone telling me to use an old B&W portable tv for my setup

I'm sure ISI's implementation will be good also & by then rf2 will be even more builds down the line etc so I like forward to that I'll maybe join/start a league in rf2 & use rf2 as my main sim then
    ( hope some workaround for the plugin delay for vibration/motion can be sorted ....even if it's a delayed engine auto start ) + rf2's dynamic sounds would really add to the experience

p.s my PC totally eating Iracing in VR alive ( no vsync etc & totally smooth & no latency noticeable )

[​IMG]

p.p.s to my surprise AC actually didn't feel as bad in VR, but it's gone back on the shelf now Iracing has good support

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2014
  15. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

I've use trackir + dk2 in iracing to get the head forward and back motion , it works prity well , and yes I found radical nice and even better the HPD ARX-01C :)

16. stonec

stonec Registered

That's the problem, it's just a marketing tool for now, big masses won't buy a developer product. I wrote a few times in this thread too, it doesn't mean I'm interested to buy some low-res developer product. ISI has never been a company about marketing and hype (in booth good and bad ways), so it doesn't surprise me that they are not suddenly jumping on a thing like this.

17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

reading here & there in the Iracing forums people are really jumping on the dk2 bandwagon & ordering
    ( & the units are getting delivered pretty quick at mo ) now there's a choice of sim racing titles offering support

now there is a choice VR Support from ISI isn't really urgent I guess & they'll be people sticking with monitors for a while

18. Depco

Depco Registered

Big masses wont buy rF2 either. But those who are passionate about the tech and their sims will be more likely to purchase rF2 if it has DK2 support. ISI's supreme dedication to not promoting their product is part of what is killing its online numbers. Again, if they wish to not promote their product, either through commercials, print ads, or online outlets and distribution companies it is their prerogative. It just will make people who may be uninformed about rF2's wonderful physics and FFB go to another sim (AC and pCars are the most likely for PC).

This really does tie into their complete lack of graphical upgrades. Lets face it, if you don't have a massive machine, and know what "Time of day" to set the game up in, rF2 looks only mildly better than rF1. Ive even seen ISI's current engine called gMotor 2.5. That's not much of a stretch. It is the biggest complaint of rF2. In fact is one of the only complaints with any merit. rF2 has a great physics base. The best in the genre to be sure. In the right hands a superior graphical update can be made using the base already in place. But ISI is likely not going to be the company to make that happen. I don't believe that Tim and the boys have the desire or the resources to dedicate to making the game attractive to anyone but the most hardcore simmer out there.

DK2 support would represent a shift in thinking in ISI I would have to assume. I just don't think they are actually willing to move in that direction. Their company and game will suffer all the more for it unfortunately. I sincerely hope I am wrong.

19. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Yeah, big masses won't buy any hardcore PC racing sim (marketing or not). Assetto Corsa seems to be doing well, but it's all relative. It's doing small numbers by AAA console games (of course, its budget is a sliver of those games too, so it doesn't need to. Which also means it doesn't have to cater to lowest common denominator. Which is why we all prefer hardcore PC sims to console racers in the first place.)

DK2 isn't a marketing gimmick because it already is the superior option to anything else out there for racing sims. The resolution is far from ideal and takes some adjusting to, but monitors are even further from ideal when it comes to the immersion aspect. So it's not about focusing on the shortcomings of one device, and ignoring the shortcomings of the competition.

20. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Assuming people will buy rF2 because it has DK2 support is a bold assumption. If someone has a dev kit now they've already purchased one of the other racing/driving games to experience. Someone who isn't a sim racer owning more than one racing title is highly unlikely.

Sim racing is competitive just like first person shooters and when someone is using a dev kit and getting their arse kicked because they are looking through a screen door and can't see things until it's too late, this tech is useless for said software. I personally don't see the use of jumping on the bandwagon until a consumer(usable) version is released.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.