Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

a very nice VR experience & unique

at last I have something to show my mum & girlfriend on the rift,
    the demos are just starting to get better + work 1 time too

http://www.vrapps.co/game-760-senza-peso.html

also grab the matrix VR , again a nicely polished & effective use of VR

things are getting better

p.s although rf2 frustrates me in some ways with the semi compatible (on my setup) dk2 patch I'm loving it

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2014
  2. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

Adrian, are you using vorpx to get rf2 going in the DK2?

I bought the nthusim HMD drivers, same as vorpx, but that company has dropped the ball and no sign of dk2 support in the near future. I would think about vorpx, it's a lot to pay to get one game going.

Are you getting a smooth experience like I am used to in LFS?

3. crz

crz Registered

vorpX gives me the best rF2 experience with the rift. Coupled with the head tracking plugin from vittorio it comes very close to LFS.

I just tried it yesterday since I had the driver anyway. I was surprised how well it worked and I found it looks way more natural than with TriDef. Afterwards I found out that vorpX has no geometry 3d support for rF2 yet, just Z-Buffer mode. Honestly, I didn't notice any downside but maybe I'm not experienced enough with 3d.

Expensive driver yes... then again it is not sure if TriDef will support the DK2 at all since there is silence about it from the devs. vorpX hast good DK2 support (especially colour correction and no black smearing work nice).

I'm thinking about integrating some kind of water cooling for my head :)D) because it got very hot after 3 laps with the EVE F1 around the Nordschleife. Did anyone go for a decent length race wit the rift yet? At the moment I can do no more than 30 minutes.

4. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Holy sh** vorpx does work with rF2 and vittorios plugin !??

5. svenh007

svenh007 Registered

I didnt get rF2 to work with VorPx. I am using Virtual Desktop with Curved large screen and the plugin.
    I think I read in vorpx forum that it is not supported yet

6. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

7. svenh007

svenh007 Registered

Looking forward how crz made it happen.

@crz
    Would be great if you could explain ?

Virtual Desktop is a good interim, but if vorpx is able to do that, then I woulf certaibly try that

8. crz

crz Registered

I can't remember doing anything special but It was already 2 AM so don't count on my memory... I had vorpX installed for some weeks, just fired it up and then tried to start rF2. I corrected the IPD, fixed chromatic aberration and black smear in the vorpX menu and off I went.

@svenh007
    Did you get an error message when starting rF2? There was a vorpX update some time ago, maybe that has helped. I would give you my configuration but as far as I remeber there is not much to configure in vorpX.

9. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

I just tried VorpX and it runs but I can't get any stereoscopic 3d, not even z-buffer 3d. I might be doing something wrong. Skyrim looks great with full geometry 3d though.

10. svenh007

svenh007 Registered

@crz, need to try it again. I think I just got it to work on the main screen, even if the rift was defined as primary anf extended mode.

you might want to explain your setup.
    And if I remember correctly, I couldnt see the whole rft2 menu to choose as well

- how to setup monitor and rift
    - how to setup rf2, ie window mode
    - order of launching the programs, choosing cars, track, definition of race settings etc

11. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

To make VorpX run rF2 I have the rift set as main display (landscape flipped, extend these displays, in Windows), extended mode in the oculus config. In rF2 you can switch to a UI friendly view by pressing your middle mouse button. This allows you to look into the corners of the screen (a bit like the virtual desktop curved screen mode).

rF2 is quite comfortable in 2d mode, it is like you are using a simulator with a massive curved projection screen. But I think I prefer 3d so I'll keep using Tridef despite its flaws.

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Does vorpx fully work with rf2 ?
    What problems does it have?

-I get 3d in tridef but other problem

13. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

Tridef works but the aspect ratio of the image is slightly wrong, this seems to make me a bit nauseous when I move my head (it becomes obvious if your head tilts at all). Chromatic aberration is not corrected. Also the image becomes very blurry if you increase the output field of view to fill the rift's screen.

How do you get 3d rF2 in VorpX?

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

cheers for info

re.tridef -vittorio has done an excellent job with the best of whats available,
    his tracking patch works fine for me but I don't get some vorpx options thus I use rf2 with a black border letter box view & low res looking visuals ( much less clear than LFS & demos etc), but some others are getting better results than me
    I'm away for 5 weeks from next week so hoping vorpx gets inbuilt support for the dk2 during that time

edit: the 3d works fine for me in tridef -try configuring two keys & turn it up to about 50%
    if you can

roll on ISI VR support with no plug in delay !

15. crz

crz Registered

This is what I did to get it running:

- Extended Mode in Oculus Rift configuration utility
    - Rift is my primary monitor (90° flipped to landscape mode as always with the DK2)
    - "Do not use an Oculus Profile" in vorpX configuration utility
    - Start vorpX
    - Start rF2
    - Press mouse button 3 (usually your scroll wheel) and get familiar with the way this allows you to look around the menu
    - Open vorpX ingame menu ("Del" key) and check especially page one and two

This way I thought I had 3d, at least I can look around things and they seem to have some depth. Turned out I was wrong, it wasn't even running in Z-Buffer mode. The only option I have is "3d Reconstruction: Off", sorry guys. I fired up LFS today and you can clearly see the difference... :D To me it looks definitely different than a 2d screen however, worth trying it at least. Combined with vittorios plugin I think this is really great anyway :) I prefer this to TriDef because of the stretched image TriDef gave me. This made driving on the limit impossible for me.

vorpX already has proper DK2 support. Can you make screenshots of the first two vorpX ingame settings pages? You said you are missing options in vorpX, which ones do you miss?

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

got the options at last so fiddling -putting in vittorio's settings

keeping pressed the scroll wheel isn't doing anything for me

17. crz

crz Registered

Hmm by clicking once it should zoom out and you should then be able to look around the menu. It worked for me out of the box, did you remap that key by accident maybe (not sure if and where you could do that)?

18. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Hi folks it seems that a Oculus Rift DK2 solution is maybe not so far away because vorpx (a third party driver like tridef) is still under development and a first beta version for the DK2 is since August released.
    I think it could help if all DK2 owners which are interested to have rF2 in the rift with 3D do a small nice post here:
    http://www.vorpx.com/forums/topic/rfactor-2-and-dk2/
    Ralf (vorpx developer) is daily online in the forum and he is aware of rF2 and he had posted that he will look into (as you can see in this thread)
    So we have the plugin from our "genius vittorio" we know vorpx is able to run rF2 but ATM only without dedicated 3D support
    and as I understand (that means not very much :p ) the integration of dx9 games/sims to DK2 seems to be not so complicated as other titles with dx10 or newer engines.

maybe it's possible we will see.

19. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

New version of Vireio has been released (alpha build). Might have a go to see if any luck with rF2 :)

20. crz

crz Registered

Thanks, got it running but I can't be bothered now to set it up properly (not sure how to do that anyway). I think I'll have a go tomorrow. Can't really comment on what I've seen because the FOV was all wrong, the image too far away and I had a major fisheye effect. rF2 isn't on their compatibility list so no high hopes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.