Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

it's ISI's software so it's ISI's decision, if it was my decision I'd put clouds (or what ever) on hold & be trying to get it out as a very high priority
    (then I'd be posting about 20 vids on YouTube!) & maybe with an official "rf2 work in progress" & what's coming update
    sometimes to much silence can be damaging -not referring to ISI dk2 support here as Tim reaffirmed yesterday what's happening with official support & it (sadly) sounded fairly firm.

p.s yes makes a lot of sense to get in early as less work later on for GOOD implementation,
    as anticipation builds for the cv1 (& the marketing machine starts) which will no doubt start happening in about 3 to 4 months time -people will be looking at software title options too

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014
  2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I realize this all, haven't said otherwise. :)

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yes but doesnt the video represent the full image of the Rift?

4. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Today made a promise to my girlfriend (silently inside my head) that I'll order DK2 on the very same day ISI releases rF2 with direct Oculus Rift support! :)

5. Minibull

Minibull Member

That's the best kind of promise man, nice one :D hahahaha

6. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Good to hear Tim then all is clear or :)

7. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Little off topic:
    Tried Project Cars with the DK2 and I am sorry that I have to say that the low resolution/pixel problem does still exist and I am a little disappointed - you cannot see clearly far ahead - maybe 5-8 meters around the car is ok. Used the full 1920x1080 resolution. Did not have the DK1 so cannot judge the difference. Maybe its the gfx from PCars (as RF2 is) that is very good without the DK2. I think we are not there for the full experience, the different demos for showcase are ok and immersion on those are really good but gfx quality games- I still prefer using 3D Vision a lot over the DK2.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2014
  8. PaulG

PaulG Registered

It does, but it doesn't. Those videos with the phone cams always make the pixels look smaller than they really appear. Because when it's on your head, everything gets blown up.

I was playing Half-Life 2 yesterday and it was funny. Every time the game would pause at a loading screen, the image would appear to be this small round image viewed through a port hole. And then when the scene loaded back in, it would totally disappear and seem huge again. You really can't make any judgements by videos because it just gives a bad impression. The image appears huge when everything is working as it's supposed to.

I had a horrible first impression with the DK2. Had quite a few negative things to say about it (especially compared to 3D Vision). But it's quickly evolved to the point where I think it blows it out of the water (resolution be damned). Haven't tried Project Cars though. I'm actually skeptical. SMS is a console developer at heart (SHIFT, Ferrari Legends) and their render engine in not responsive at all. It's one thing to have 100ms render time on consoles (where it's the norm), but their games are just unresponsive compared to PC games. So I'm guessing it's a large reason people aren't having as good as an experience as with LFS (despite the much better graphics).

And yeah, the resolution is the major issue with DK2 at the moment. Nobody can deny that. But as I said, for racing, I'll take even DK2 over 3D Vision at this point. After a couple hours, it gets its hooks in you and you don't want to ever play any other way again.

Basically, if you're coming from 3D Vision and aren't immediately blown away with how good 3D can really look, it makes a lousy first impression. So if you're predisposed to wanna dislike it, there's a lot of reasons you'll find to dismiss it. But I honestly believe if you can give it a couple hours with an open mind, it'll eventually turn almost anyone.

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hazi

hiya
    I don't have Pcars but try these settings with LFS :

in nvidia:
    AA set to multisample
    clamp
    high quality
    (everything else application controlled no forced vsync, shoot for best quality I'm other settings)

in LFS

put the mipmap sliders close as poss to low (up a tad so no flicky lines)
    no vsync
    no frame cap

if your not getting sky high fps then reduce graphic settings slightly

I've got everything looking pretty darn good & very happy
    when I used triple 3d monitors i had to use 720x3990 res with some graphic settings down so I'm use to lower resolutions
    -I never have gone with the max resolution on the monitors I've had, plus with the rift I can have all the eye candy switched on

I did read in Pcars you need to turn off the inbuilt head wobble thing otherwise you may feel a tad sick

10. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Fair enough, btw this is the first clear answer about Oculus and ISI afaik, I dont remember seeing it before.

11. Hazi

Hazi Registered

@PaulG and @Adrianstealth
    Thanks for all the input guys - didn`t want to sound too negative and for sure didn`t want to draw others away from trying it. I am openminded and just wanted it to be good and that`s why i got disappointed. - Will try LFS and your suggestions so. THX

12. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

I don't have the other racing games,just rF1 & 2 and NFS The Run plus some fighting games in the BF series.
    Is it worth getting DK2?
    I was going to get a projector but DK2 seems a better option.
    I have a HD6970 which runs rF2 ok at 1360x768.

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I know what I'd do (dk2) but I realise some want super high res now, best try one or order & sell if your not happy with it,
    either way with the consumer version is due so I'd buy no static screen system
    even if you wait for the consumer & save your monies in the meantime
    you'll need to run at higher resolution than 1360x768 on a rift
    (as the screen divides per eye thus the user appearance is slightly less than half the PC output resolution)

p.s remember the dk2 overall is running at full hd -which you'd not want to run lower than this
    with the consumer version expected to be 1440p (or 4k)
    ( although again you can run at lower resolutions )

pps no rfactor2 support at the moment & it seems not for another year or even more who knows

14. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

I run 1360x768 as it's the TV/Monitors default resolution and other resolutions look blurred,even 1920x1080,which is generally the norm with LCD monitors.
    Full HD as in 1920x1080?
    They are selling on ebay for the same as the retail price and even a tad more for some....

Is there rF1 support?
    What would a game look like without support,playable or unplayable?

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

yes 1920x1080 ( shared between each eye so the res is slightly less than half per eye -for me it's about the minimum I'd go res wise .....but also to me the lower res is only a small point , the other points are pretty positively magical )
    no rf1 support either

when no support -no image in rift, in the case of Iracing there is a dk1 image but it's lower res (dk1 res not dk2 ) & it has black borders & no tracking thus not useable ( although I did a few laps with it earlier lol )

for rf1 & 2 there was previously (for the dk1 ) 3rd party plugins that got it working
    ( but not sure how good they were, here seems to be a big difference between he experience of LFS & Pcars for instance due to quality of implementation ) ......maybe the same will happen for the dk2 -rf2 would be amazing in VR land

to me it's an amazing piece of kit & I'm not returning to static screens
    ( I did only keep my dk1 for about 6 days before selling it as it was to blurry to me to use instead of monitors due to res being to low ....to my surprise there were some early adopters in Iracing that replaced their monitors with it to use 100% of the time as I have now done with the dk2)

16. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

I have had the dk2 for a couple of days. I got LFS like so many others because of it OR support.

When I first put the rift on I thought the FOV was smaller than I was expecting. I normally race with 3x27" screens and 3x42" screens before that.

It didn't take too many demos before I thought this view is a lot better than my triples. Then I loaded LFS and thought right away that triples doesn't compare at all. The comparison between FOV on this and triples is not really valid IMHO. Using the rift is natural, there is no time while racing I thought I needed more FOV, I was never limited by it.

It seems like you are racing in a much larger world with a much larger fog than my triple 27's which I race fairly close to.

Resolution needs to improve but even still, I won't be connecting back my triples soon, I am having too much fun.

I am catching slides far easier, getting better visual feedback wrt this and you believe that the in game arms are your own. It feels like you are there.

The resolution is good enough to read the display on the wheels. Very cool to know I have all the fancy wheels without having to splash out a fortune on a wheel with sli, etc, etc. I already did but good to know I won't do it again :)

17. Ernie

Ernie Registered

These are my thoughts too. Fully agree.
    See which medial boost LFS has got, since it supports the DK2. And i think this kind of DK2-promotion wouldn't hurt rFactor2 too.
    And as officially mentioned by Oculus .... all software developed for DK2 will run without problems on the consumer version. Regarding to software, there will be technically no difference between DK2 and CV1, besides a higher resolution and refresh rate.

I really can't wait to drive rF2 with the Rift, because it's actually my favourite sim.:cool: If ISI is really waiting for CV1, then hopefully some 3rd-party plugin will fill that time gap. Until then we'll have to play the waiting game.
    And to repeat myself ..... promoting rF2 with the Rift wouldn't hurt the sales. ;)

18. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

If it were a case that ISI weren't willing to shell out on a dk2, i would be willing to chip into a pot to get them one. :)

19. coops

coops Banned

IMHO They don't need $$$, they just don't want to do it until its a consumer release product. so i think it wouldn't take them long to implement it into rf2. ISI will probably get that version along with other software companies b4 its release. so there is more software available to use it on release. im sure it will be ready b4 we know about the release date. i too will wait for then b4 i order 1.

20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I say in a nice way -it's up to ISI to buy their own (if they don't have one already ) , it is frustrating to see no commitment to supporting VR ASAP & that's from a totally unselfish viewpoint :

eg assuming I was away from home for a long time & not able to use the rf2 with the rift for another two years from now ......it's still frustrating ,
    ISI & rf2 could really benefit getting in ( implementing good compatibility ), as it stands they are going to be pretty much last
    & in the mean time giving the opportunity of below par 3rd party support which will only degrade rf2's user experience & title reputation.

perhaps very limited resources & a fairly serious internal backlog or some kind of situation (perhaps things not connected to rf2)
    are to dictating these sort of decisions,

....it gets to the point where a community member offers to chip in to buy the devs one.

I'm just trying to make sense of things
    (was trying to resist having a moan but i regret it didn't work :( )

dk2 users perhaps in the minority here right now, but that would change with good implementation (new users would be attracted)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.