Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

if your happy with your projectors then stick with them rik, no one is forcing you to do anything,
    your projectors look great by the way I nearly went that way myself but I was waiting for VR

do try to have a demo of the rift as I'm sure is will totally change your mind.
    for me the dk2 is the best thing tech wise I've ever brought, I really loved my 27" triple screen 3d setup but the dk2 blows it to pieces
    & the lower resolution is a very minor gripe in the whole scheme of things

with monitors or projectors -your looking at the visual image
    with VR -your within the visual image & no YouTube vid of the rift can demonstrate this
    (as a again your looking at YouTube )

everyone to their own though I guess

p.s x2 monitors currently on ebay

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I spent 4hrs hosting a LFS server for myself & fellow dk2 users (although a few joined that were not in VR )
    the immersion was the best I've ever felt due to the VR

I look around a lot , the virtual heads now move too, so speeding along side another rift user and we can see each other's virtual heads flicking to the side & looking at each other was fantastic -less accidents too as there's bags more spacial awareness

from my experience a separate static screen/projection system just dosnt cut it anymore, it's just a matter of time before pretty much everyone catches on

3. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

Arguments aside...

I have not heard anything from vittorio unfortunately. Did some more testing with rFactor and it does look a lot better in DK2. Tested with Nordschliefe and the extra resolution does make a ton of difference. I have no idea how difficult the new SDK is to work into a new plugin though.

4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

it's up to ISI if they support or not, rf2 is my favourite sim but no VR support and I can not use, thankfully I'm having a blast elsewhere so I 'm not suffering.

I'm amazed that ISI haven't quickly jumped on the VR bandwagon with support even for no other reason than the positive exposure thus increased support & sales income

it's a tad frustrating to witness

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
  5. PaulG

PaulG Registered

I never raced with triples. Just a single 3D Vision monitor. And for me, I can't go back because it's what I thought it would be in terms of helping me drive. Driving at a small FOV on a monitor (and fishwarping it results in too many spins in turns) meant I always had difficulty taking the optimum line and using the whole track. This would cost me seconds and make my uncompetitive with people who can use the whole track. I'm able to use every inch of the track in Live For Speed. So even though the image quality leaves a ton to be desired, I will no longer drive anything that doesn't support it.

My top tier preferences would be AC, rF2, and GSC:E. But it seems only AC even has it on their roadmap. I'm even excited about iracing, because I'm fairly certain I'll be a lot more competitive in VR. So my enjoyment will likely go up significantly. I'm just waiting for word on DK2 support before I re-up on a promotion I have.

But I guess they have to make the choices they feel are best for their bottom line. Seems like a lot of wasted sales, but who knows. Maybe the man hours wouldn't have recouped the costs. VR also has heavy processing requirements. I wonder how many rF1 sales they could have achieved had they added support to that instead? 27.99 for a ton of cars/tracks would have been the best deal in town for VR noobs looking for car action. And most people wouldn't have had any issues running rF1 in VR. So it would have had a low barrier to entry.

6. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Could someone confirm if I had missed anything to be downloaded to make the OR-DK2 work?

I will pick the DK2 tomorrow morning (the UPS office closes summer afternoons :( )
    I would like to have everything downloaded since I wil go on vacation on saturday and I am not sure about Internet connection availability

View attachment 13901

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

paulg - yes it will help me get a tad faster but more importantly avoid accidents as spacial awareness is far far better than screens

spakis

all you need is the oculus config utility -this will also update the rift firmware -select check/update firmware in menu
    then 3hrs of frustrating fiddling & you should be running

8. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

As has been discussed that is probably not going to happen, but it does already work with Tridef. Just needs a head tracking plugin like we had for DK1.

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

good -does it look good? & running at dk2 res?( as good as LFS? ) , I'll wait until everything working otherwise I'll get sick without good head tracking

10. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Does the trial version of LFS work with DK2?
    Is tridef required to run DK2 with LFS?
    Im sorry if I ask stupid questions since I am new to all this 3D world...

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

yes demo works + the LFS devs put the self extracting dk2 update on their forum -follow the simple lstep by step instruction

https://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=86202

p.s the S1 is well worth the money (use the MTR around city sprint 2 ! )

12. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Thanks for your advice adrian.
    I just tried the demo driving with the mouse and the physics looked a bit odd. Don't they?
    I might buy the s1 as you say just for the good support imolementing the rift. Others should learn...

I just bursted in laughs when I read an old post from Tim asking for the hardware developer to contact ISI. I guess now that Oculus is well known and belongs to Facebook, it should be ISI who should contact them.

As always ISI living in its own development bubble. Probably we will the rift support from third party, as always....

13. capetuso

capetuso Registered

Those not supporting the rift once cv1 is out, could be out of the map. I am sure IS I will do but when they think it is needed.

14. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

The main question here is: Why ISI don´t say nothing about the Oculus support? this silence is something that is impossible to understand it.

15. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

If they cared about community it would be difficult to understand but if you consider that they do not care is perfectly understandable.

Their policy on this is "let others do". If they say that they will support nobody would develop a plugin to use it. Therefore they say nothing. Other sims have early positioned themselves on this and offered support. Let's see when does ISI...

I just can't believe they didn't want to be in the front wagon in this subject. Someone must be blind not to foresee that virtual reality is the next revolution on gaming.

One day a sim with comparable simulation performance will appear. Hopefully their approach to the sim racing community will be different. That day rF2 will be in real trouble and it will probably be to late for ISI to change its attitude towards their fellow customers.

16. Adrian

Adrian Registered

They do care or they wouldn't have implemented anything we asked for. They seem to decide on a plan and stick to it.

Anyway at this stage there's no point in them spending time on dk2 as they've missed the bus. I bet support will be in rf2 by cv1 :)

17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I think Tim did say a while back that it would be supported if they feel enough users are using it etc

I'm not sure on which qty is enough, I think it's going to quickly going to shoot over 100k users
    ( some devs I know ) & oculus haven't even advertised a consumer product yet to the masses.
    ....roll on a marketing push & the cv1 who knows what the qtys will be at this stage

with the dk1 & dk2 combined, I'm quite sure it's inevitable it will be in built into rf2 & a 3rd party plug in before
    -what ever I hope it's good quality implementation rather than something rushed etc

but a shame ISI didn't shoot to it as LFS devs have, I think it would have been a good promo for rf2,
    I think the isi dev(s) is very busy and VR head sets perhaps is down the queue etc

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
  18. DarrenM

DarrenM Registered

Assetto Corsa got plenty of attention due to it's DK1 support. LFS is now getting a lot of fresh attention and sales due to being the first out with DK2 support.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lfs+oculus

I think it's a bad approach for ISI to say they'll support it when it gets popular when their competition is already working on it and getting hype for it. When CV1 comes out I think a lot of simracers are going to get one and it looks like ISI are going to get caught napping.

19. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

20. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

If that's true, add me to the list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.