Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulG

PaulG Registered

You're seeing it wrong. In that same video I posted, Carmack mentions that Facebook could care less about CV1. They don't have any delusions that it's a mainstream product that's going to be used by 1 billion users. That's for (hopefully) CV 2. They realize CV1 is for hardcore PC users and nothing more.

And you're underestimating just how many issues it still has to solve. Most people can't even walk forward in the Tuscany demo without their brain going into a mini-panic. There's no games (minus the sims). The optics are a mess (which is where the curved OLED brings so much hope). As awesome as DK2 is, it's not even remotely close to being a consumer ready device. And I'll say this about Sony, unless Sony dramatically bumps their specs, they're jumping in a generation too soon. Those Morpheous specs won't cut it at all. People's expectations are much higher than reality at the moment.

2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I don't understand how something so far from being ready for consumer has made Adrianstealth pack two of his monitors. Gkz also has posted an excellent opinion after trying it. They didn't report any sickness. Did you try it?

3. Adrian

Adrian Registered

I completely agree with PaulG, the rift is nowhere near ready to be released to general consumers and probably won't be for 2-3 years. Keeping in mind that 90% of my gaming since may 2013 has been on the rift, the screen resolution is ****, with 1080p you can tell good textures from bad ones but you don't enjoy looking at them, the tracking isn't robust enough and system requirements are too high. At the moment the only thing its really sort of OK for is driving and flying games. Still due to the feeling you get playing games in it I can't see myself playing games on anything else in the future. :cool:

4. crz

crz Registered

Wow ... just wow :) I am still stunned by a few laps in LFS.

Can anybody point me to what I have to do with TriDef to get rf1/2 working? In rF1 I can see something but it is not a 3d image, almost looks like they eyes are swapped. As for rF2 I don't even know how to start it with TriDef beacause it seems to have it's own launcher for games which obviously doesn't work with the rF2 launcher.

Anyway, still excited about the rift I think I need to dedicate my evening again to it.

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

it's good that oculus are calling these DevKits and hopefully perfecting for something they'll advertise promote (& call a consumer version)

the dk2 is way better than my triple screen setup by a long long way so I'm more than happy to be in this early

(the dk1 I sold after a few days as to me the res was a tad to low)

dk1 on left - right is dk2

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2014
  6. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Yes. I own it. Clearly you've don't or you wouldn't be making some of the complaints about the timeline that you are.

Is it usable? Yes. Is it cool? Yes. Is it borderline useless unless you're into racing/space sims? Yes! You can't even include flight sims into the mix because flight guys still say it's too low resolution to read the gauges.

You can use it right now, and it's really neat, but there's a level of dedication you MUST have. The mainstream audience would return it after 5 minutes.

As for the sickness, nobody gets sick from driving games because are brain has been trained to accept movement without motion while in a vehicle. Walking is something you must train yourself into (because your brain immediately buzzes for everyone). In-game camera shifts cause physical reactions too.

Honestly, it's going to be my last post because there's nothing to discuss. You're flat out wrong. About almost everything. And this is why Facebook is still implementing MAJOR revisions. And why it's not being released until at least Q3 2015. Because it can't. It would be a collalsal failure until they address the remaining issues needed for mainstream success. People can Monday Morning CEO all they want, but it's easy to complain if you don't care to know the facts or market realities.

That said, LFS is awesome. And if you have triples you want to get rid of, go for it. But one niche genre (that's just crosses the "good enough to be functional" stage) is not enough for release.

7. Minibull

Minibull Member

Just a curious question regarding performance and the Oculus. I've really been wanting to try out one of the headsets, but living in a small town in NZ, it isn't easy to find anyone with one...XD
    I have an Intel 4670K and a factory OC'ed 7850, 2GB, which I have OC'ed further. I'm really wanting to try and order one just for the sims that I play, but I don't want to find out I can noway near run with it.
    Is it pretty strenuous on the hardware? Upgrades aren't exactly out of the question, but I would like to save that money for sometime next year, if possible.

I know from years of dealing with people looking for answers regarding how many FPS they can get with certain hardware combinations that these performance related questions are kind of silly to ask, but I'd like to get an idea from those that have a DK2 headset currently. I'm currently running rF2 at very close to max settings (Road reflections off and AA at level 5) and I'm getting over 60fps, for say 90% of the time. Back of grids are always an exception, that kind of thing.

8. Adrian

Adrian Registered

I'd recommend you wait. Also where do you live? :)

9. Minibull

Minibull Member

Is that just because of performance reasons?

Tasman area...XD

10. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Performance is super important 75fps at all times is need. The only people I would recommend buying a DK2 are people that ~$350 means absolutely nothing to.

also Tasman... didn't know you guys even had electricity yet :p

11. Rik

Rik Registered

LOL with my projector i have better visual. Where is the "revolution"?
    If you use a 3D projector and trackir you have better immersion. .. And you can see your steering Wheel and buttons. For SIM racing, i think oculus useless.

12. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Nope, you wont even come close. 3d projectors etc might make the game look real but the Rift will pull you into the game world. For sim racing there is nothing better than an Oculus Rift (until we can pipe it directly into our brains that is :p)

13. Jokeri

Jokeri Registered

Hah, some would call that trolling..
    Can you look 90degrees (or more) to your left and right with trackir so that your eyes point in that direction too?

14. Minibull

Minibull Member

Ahh yeah, that's what I had read ai. I could always turn the settings down, but that is a bit of a sad tradeoff. I was also thinking about a set of clubsport pedals to replace a part of my G25. Then still, I don't have a proper seat rig either, bah.

Yeah mate, I got hooked up a few weeks back, part of the South Island high speed power rollout. I'm hoping for ADSL next year :D

15. Rik

Rik Registered

Are you sure? From 3:31

I'm sorry if I gave that impression. for those who have space issues the oculus will be the best solution. but in general it is not the best solution for SIM racing. just my opinion.

16. Minibull

Minibull Member

From my POV...triple projector...money and space. That's really getting into the money is no object area...and I'd say that the fact that all you see is the ingame world with a headset, the immersion would be deeper. An inconvenience sure, not seeing your wheel, but in terms of "being there" it looks stunning.

17. Adrian

Adrian Registered

100% I've used one of the "big curved screen and multiple projectors" type simulators and its not even close to how the Rift feels, one of the benefits it gives is sealing you off from the outside world, this does heaps to put you in the world. With the rift things like sitting in a bucket seat and having the shifter in the correct place and having correct pedal position help a lot with putting you in the game.

I guess It all comes down to what you want out of sim racing. Do you want to feel like your racing or is it purely competitive because in the case of the latter then a fixed screen, a very wide FOV and a super fast steering lock(even going as far as a x360 pad) is obviously going to be better.

18. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Mine has arrived today. I'll pick it up later and hopefully when I make it work I'll give my opinion.

19. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Spaskis I should receive my Rift today or tomorrow. Because of this is my first Rift I'm very interested on any helpfull information or experience.
    So please post here I will do the same.

thx alex

20. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Are those that are disappointed in the rift, purely looking at the specs, pics of screen door comparisons and such, actually tried the rift?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.