Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gkz

gkz Registered

It really depends on the demo/game. Of course it's ever present but depending on the image quality and how well it is programmed you can live with it. It seems to me like some programmers have trouble translating their image rendering for the Rift. This results then in a (very) pixelated image. But still, in LFS the overall experience is so good that you can ignore the screendoor effect. The resolution is still to low but its driveable and thus enjoyable ;)

We drove a bit with the open wheeler on LFS in the demo version in multiplayer and it worked really nice. Battle in the corners was so much fun. Just being able to use the mirrors and do a quick look over the shoulder to see the attacking drivers position. The track looks so much wider. I believe the Rift is one of those things that not only make you drive safer in the sim but even faster thanks to the ability to have a perception like in real life.

2. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

No, eyefinity is better (based on previous posts)

ha!

CV1 and the following ones will be the future of racing simulation (the future of virtual entertainment actually)

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

the 1:1 direct feel that I get with the dk2 is zero ( ok ....unnoticeabe/extremely low ) & no messing fov + no diddling around with triple screens or trying to get best & most realistic view etc, the dk2 is giving 1:1 feel of vision + seamless tracking, to me this video sums it up

( the resolution inside the dk2 is a better than this YouTube vid )

http://youtu.be/GTJZTc1U1tM

done a pretty decent motion profile for my rig too & VR works extremely well with it

what I've been doing in live for speed (which is what reminded me of the senna vid ) (not my upload)

http://youtu.be/wqMQPuuMXuo

I'm at over 300fps -no vsync, no tearing, no judder, no track problems at all

getting close to those walls at speed & on the edge with a 3d VR headset on is incredible

p.s trying to crack 40 secs .....anyone else trying?

( i7 @ 4.8ghz, Titan @1130mhz all water cooled )

roll on rfactor 2 VR support!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2014
  4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Mine was shipped today. Expecting it on Thursday. I will have to read to see what I need to install to make it work with rF2 which is the only sim I am driving. I m getting nervous already

5. Bart S

Bart S Member

I'm sweating for you spaskis

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Let us know how you get on with it spaskis
    Rfactor 2 is unsupported

You might find it frustrating at first then you'll get use to the different settings etc

I hope you have a decent pc

7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I have a laptop not very powerful indeed. You can check my profile. I need to update my hardware but I wanted to wait until I got the rift and make some testing before I decided

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Gosh, good luck

Not sure if it's going to perform ( seamless tracking & a VR experience ) on a laptop

But if your ready for an upgrade then now might be a great time

9. Adrian

Adrian Registered

[​IMG]

So RF2 works with vorpx but only in Z-buffer not Geometry mode so that means barely any 3d effect and also no headtracking though I'm sure that vittorio will save us again when he gets time :D. I think my 1080p DK1 has a higher pixel density than the DK2 but with the higher refresh rate it's a lot cleaner/sharper (also amoled blacks = yum).

I'd much rather be using Tridef as their software always seems to work a lot better and is easier to setup but I think they may be going through some trouble as they haven't responded on their forums for a while and nothing about the DK2.

10. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

Can you ask VorpX to improve support for rF2? I would buy it if head tracking and geometry mode 3d worked.

11. crz

crz Registered

Delivery expected on monday :cool: Time to collect some demos

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

finally removed monitors, VR only from now on (putting one monitor on wall for windows desktop), less cables too and get around the rig much better!

[​IMG]

will not need displays on my wheels wither -one more cable our of the equation!

13. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

That's one beautiful setup , and an amazing wheel - bodnar-

14. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

Is its quality good enough to compete?

15. maniac618

maniac618 Registered

Spent 3 hours by accident with LFS this afternoon. Oh my god. It is amazing with the rift dk2. For me it IS good enough to use instead of monitors. The open wheelers around that city track are epic.

PLEASE ISI, PLEASE! Rift support made me and loads of others spend £24 on the complete LFS game. Implement support now and see the money come in. People are gagging for it.

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya

Good enough to compete with what ?

Edit : VR vs tripple 3d ?

VR wins hands down
    It's a choice of being in a virtual environment (visually)or looking at a virtual environment

17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Use those open top go kart style things ( MRT ? )
    In city "sprint 2 " track
    Trying to go sub 40 ( with untouched default race setup)

I know lfs isn't as good as rf2 .....but in VR I've not experienced anything like it !

Ps in lfs in the dk2 -no vsync uncapped I'm getting 333.3fps & flawless 1:1 tracking etc

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2014
  18. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

I meant to compete driving with DK2 against other drivers with monitors.

+9999999999999 I don´t know what are they waiting for...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2014
  19. maniac618

maniac618 Registered

Will give it a go. My frameratd counter states a constant 75 but I thought I didn't have v sync on. I will investigate. I don't get any lag though with head movements or anything.

20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

frankyso

yes VR wins hands down - absolutely no competition

I now have a small fan blowing at my head which keeps it comfortable.
    I really liked by triple screen 3d setup but it's now been disassembled as I'm no longer interested in using monitors for sim racing
    for me monitors only good for word processing / spreadsheets / windows etc

in LFS last night I actually got out of the digital car (& carefully out of my rig with no real world vision) and looked round it -that's looking round a life sized digital recreation of the car inside LFS -strangely my feet were slightly under the track surface, I kept my hands on my rig because I obviously had no vision in the real world, it was strange looking at the headless driver in the car and when I sat back in (my rig) my head sat nicely back on the shoulders of my digital self

I'm amazed that ISI haven't pushed hard to get support out as everyone I now that has a dk2 know has brought it and those waiting for their headsets will buy LFS as soon as their headsets show up

I'm confident VR is going to really catch on, people will also decide on which title to buy / use / recommend based on how good the VR implementation is -I'm sure

p.s I want sure if the dk2 would be good enough but it is -the resolution is totally useable,
    I sold my dk1 within 3 days as to me it wasn't useable

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.