Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I am not sure about what marketing style will be followed in this case and how competition and public will react to it. It will be interesting to know.

I am sure that if Apple was in charge of this project we would already have a comercial ioculus non HD in the market. Six months later we would get ioculus-s with 5.1 surround. 2015 the first HD version ioculus2 1920 x 1080 would come out improving by summer to a 2880x1080 with ioculus2-s. Later some weight reduction and head cooling and so on...

enviado mediante tapatalk

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

more possible it will be a "Dev kit 2" version, but HD and better functions, I think they are not going to release a consumer version until in their eyes its as perfect as can currently be,

my guess

dev kit 2 autumn this year ( aug/sept/oct )
    dev kit 3 or consumer sometime 2015

3. Adrian

Adrian Registered

In palmer and nates latest interviews they said/strongly hinted that there will be one more devkit which will pretty much be the consumer version which will follow soon after.

4. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

Can someone englighten me on a question about latency:
    They talk about latencies of 30-40 ms at the moment, aiming for 20 ms in the consumer version. But is that the latency of only the headtracking, or do also the displays have that latency?
    I mean, that would be horrible for racing games. I sometimes play at a friends setup, and he has a normal TV hooked up, which has such a big latency...and often i find myself not reacting fast enough and getting much more tankslappers and such, as if when i'm playing on my setup with 5ms latency.
    Anyone knows about this?

Also i find it funny, that they sell their "new" IR-headtracking on the crystal-cove as a big innovation :p IR-tracking is the most used technology in VR applications...

5. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

From Setup2.ini file in rFactor2\ModDev

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2014
  6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

7. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

I think they were talking about the total latency, the lag between moving your head and seeing the movement on the display. So that would include latency from both headtracking and the display.

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Will the rift suffer from the dreaded rfactor2 plug-in delay ????
    ( I think this really will drive everyone nuts )

Or is ISI have support within the UI options. ( so no external plug-ins required )

Still hoping announcement of HD version will be made GDC ( mid this month ) pre-orders etc

9. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

Yes, i know how IR tracking works. On the new prototype, they use IR LEDs which get tracked by a camera. It's just another way than having one IR Light and reflectors.
    With these IR LEDs and the tracking, the acceleration sensors inside the rift get kind of obsolete. They could only help detecting very small, fast movements, but for everything else, the IR tracking is way better than acc sensors, because most (all?) acc sensors tend to have a constant offset / can not be calibrated perfectly, which results in a detected drifting movement. You can only get rid of that via a low-pass filter, which however makes your latency bigger.
    Because of that, i suspect they got rid of the acc sensors and only use the IR tracking on the new prototype!? :confused: It would make a lot of sense. All professional VR equipment i have seen so far uses IR tracking.

Yes, thats the one thing i was talking about. But the thing i am worried about, is how big the latency between an event in the virtuality and it's display is. Specific in out usecase: How long does it take from the simulation making your tail step out, to the oculus showing you, that your tail steps out. This latency directly affects your reaction times, while the latency of the headtarcking-display only makes you feel uncomftable...

10. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

That looks very interesting. Never seen / heard of the use of electromagnetic fields for tracking. I always thought that would not be precise enough!?

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

There can be button (hopefully) assigned to your wheel so head tracking is only activated whilst it's being pushed,
    Of course only needed if the user feels any discomfort etc, most of the time we want a pretty much fixed forward view in sim racing anyhow -push button so can swing head left & right or to mirror etc

This plug-in delay thing effecting the rift thought is bothering me a tad )-:

12. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Which would defeat to object of having VR in the first place :p

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Woodee

Hiya, I used the devkit it, the head tracking is a big feature but also having your vision pretty much totally taken up by the graphical view which is fantastic, I'd be happy to have a fixed view but moveable by pressing a button no probs.

Also with the devkit I didn't really notice any lag, the next version I'm sure is going to be an improvement so I'm hoping latency/lag will not be an issue ( assuming the PC is powerful enough & it's setup correctly etc )

14. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I would hope that the impact on ones system would be less with even HD VR rather than a 3 screen setup. I hope they release the consumer version at a time when I am able to afford it.

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I using triples in 3d vision so I'm fairly confident I'll be getting a boost (fingers crossed)

Just hoping ISI support and don't leave it to plug ins ( & plug in delay )

16. Pits

Pits Registered

I'm afraid you might all be a bit disappointed with any 3D headset, I've the Sony http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/head-mounted-display/t/head-mounted-display HMZ-V2, these are the same format (a headset) as the others.

I lasted about 15 minutes in RF1 and 2, everytime I slightly moved my head my brain sort of exploded, only with car games the FPS was fine, there is just something that goes on when you go around a corner that doesn't sit well, mine are for sale. Gravity 3D and all movies are just like being at the movies and perfect for that and only that I've found.

17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya pits

Yes I've tried one of those sony devices , the rift is very very different I think you'll be happily surprised

18. Pits

Pits Registered

Hey Hey Adrian

Surely the basic concept is the same, I assume you haven't used the rift ?..You turn your head and as soon as you move the head things go haywire, I do hope I will be pleasantly surprised as it doesn't happen a lot these days :)
    I'm not getting excited yet and I'm not one of those who throw up at movement.

So far I've tried triples,projectors and the Sony of course, best so far for me is the 42" lcd tv, (triples were the ultimate but oh dear I'm not going their today)

I will buy a Rift if there is good feedback but I'm not reading wonderful things atm

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

hiya

I didn't even know the sony one had tracking (it wasn't switched on during the demo I had but that was just showing a movie), I had a rift devkit 1 and the tracking was totally fine to me
    ( the low resolution of the DK1 was not usable for me).

the rift is very close to total vision as oppose to the sony's that shows the vision in screens with black borders, they are 2 very different devices
    the next one supposed to be even better

20. kosmo1982

kosmo1982 Registered

i had devkit1 but sold it after 2 weeks. head tracking was the only thing that worked really well for me. The problem was resolution, screen door effect , and unclear, blurry image due to lenses. i cant see how they can improve it much with 1080p. its still split by two and only part of screen displays image. I wish them well but i went for CAST AR with clips on. Its cheaper, 720p for each eye and if I dont like full VR mode i can always play on this light reflecting surface.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.