Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMOK3Y

SMOK3Y Registered

ya I have the SDK & profile setup ive always been confused though do I need anything from rF2 pointed to that profile or does it find it itself???

2. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

VR is spreading with light speed :) Will be native for watching movies, but can be used also for games:

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Very interesting

Thanks for posting

4. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Right now for gamers is still easy choice which glasses we will buy:), but i think, that pretty quick come the times, when we will have much harder time which one to choose :)

5. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

6. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

7. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

They have a new prototype with an oled screen. The most interesting thing is what they have done to combat motion blur. It sounds similar to the lightboost thing with 120hz monitors

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/7/528...otype-with-positional-tracking-and-mysterious

8. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Sounds almost like 2D LightBoost combined with GSync kind of technology. Very interesting and hard to wait! :)

9. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

+1

Thanks for sharing Barf.

Those of us who have experienced lightboost know the gains to be had from such display technologies. Just glad Oculus decided to give it a try.

edit: someone just pointed out to me it's OLED!

I thought OLED have no backlighting? So how are they strobing the pixels or is that just something possible with OLED's? Also since Lightboost is iirc nvidia patented, perhaps this is a way around it?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2014
  10. PaulG

PaulG Registered

It doesn't have a backlight. Unlike Lightboost which is strobing the backlight to reduce blur, they're just flashing the image for a brief second. Then the screen is blank until the next refresh. It's basically strobing the rendering. The upside is great fluidity in motion and no smearing when you turn your head. The downside: If you're strobing the image like this, it's got to be at a high refresh rate or else people will notice flicker (consciously or sub-consciously). They wouldn't reveal the refresh rate, only that it was "significantly" higher than 60hz. I'm almost afraid to know what it was being refreshed at. Hoping it can eliminate flicker at something sane like 100 - 120hz.

GSync works great all the way down to 30hz because it's sample-and-hold. With low persistence like this, there's no way you could only update at sub-60hz. It would be a flickering mess. Even 60hz would be pretty horrible in the flicker department.

Not saying these geniuses won't have some beautiful algorithm to reduce rendering power needed, but the screen most definitely needs to maintain it's high refresh rate to avoid flickering.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2014
  11. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Oculus not producing the version 1 anymore:

-------------

Oculus VR has announced that it will suspend sales of the Oculus Rift due to a shortage of components.

"Certain components used in the Oculus Rift developer kit are no longer being manufactured, meaning they are no longer available to us for production," says community manager Andres Hernandez on the Oculus sub-reddit. "As a result, we don't have the necessary materials to produce additional kits."
    -------------

Over 50,000 of them were sold gosh, not sure if the actual reasons are true or not but I think this is great news,
    Hopefully version 2 preorders will appear soon & I'll be one of the 1st in, what ever the specification I'm positive it will be HD, at this point I'm hoping to sell my x3 3d monitors (will put a HD tv on wall for windows desktop etc) & use the rift 100% of the time. Unbelievably some people are the Iracing forums are doing this already with the low res version 1 (sold mine after 2 wks as resolution was way to low for me)

I know I've mentioned this in another post, it would be great if ISI as part of the UI revamp (is this happening?) could have an option for the oculus rift with official support especially that new versions are soon coming ( "eta" this year )

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014
  13. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Buy 2 or 3 or 4 (or however many you can afford) because they will sell like hot-cakes on ebay and for a really big premium to those who didn't catch on with the pre-orders. :D

I remember selling mine about 1-2 months after i received it and although i stopped using it by the end of week 1, had i of sold mine there and then i would have gotten a 300-400% return on investment! Ended up with only 100% because i waited too long and the waiting list for a new one became only about 3-4 weeks so it didn't sell as high, but still a good return ofc.

14. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

come on my good sir we do not have to stoop to these levels surely. :)

I wish it would hurry up be finalized and released and actually be available, was hoping for this year but that's unlikely now with the new developments. The future is so close you can smell it.

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

yes I sold my devkit for double too

I'm actually using my pc less whilst awaiting the HD rift due monitors are no longer good enough lol

all this waiting at the mo. software development & hardware development theres never been a time quite like this, exciting though

16. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Can't wait to preorder the HD version! can some one post the link of their site?! thansk

17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

18. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya all

The dev kit one is now in very short supply ( & no longer being produced ), it all just works out nicely for GDC (games developes conference) announcement in mid march,

They don't want to be left with many ( if at all ) dev kit 1's, they also don't want to be able to not supply kits to devs

At a total guess we could be pre-ordering dev kit 2's ( HD ) late march & oculus I'm sure will be as swift as possible in starting to supply
    (They could be in production already )

Being a tad optimistic here ( & hopeful ! )

20. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Does anyone know when the consumer Oculus will be out? Sometime this year?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.