Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vittorio

vittorio Registered

LOL - would also draw too much attention in the alien toilets

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

3. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I really liked reading the info from that site you linked vittorio.

I also pre-ordered an Oculus Rift about 60 seconds ago. :p

ISI, the moment yours arrive by post....please, please, PLEEEASE can you integrate compatibility for rf2 asap. :D

edit:

Meanwhile, the Toshiba Rift is playing catch-up...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2013
  4. vittorio

vittorio Registered

welcome to the club :)

5. CRex

CRex Registered

Well if this thing turns out to be as good as it promises, integration isnt an option, it's a demand :cool:

6. elbo

elbo Registered

Don't know if this is the solution to lack of direct ISI support or not;

http://nthusim.com/store

looks like it could be...

7. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

About the resolution thing:
    Didn't they plan to put monitors into the commercial oculus, that don't have an even distribution of pixels!? I thought they wanted to make the center of the screen have a higher resolution, while the outer parts of the screen have a lower resolution. So the place, where normaly your main focus is, has a high resolution, and the places you only periphaly see are low res.

8. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

They use a 1280x800 (monitor) screen in the device. I don't know how someone could manufacture and uneven distribution of pixels for a screen but one way to achieve higher pixel density (higher resolution) around the centre is with the optics. It would artificially make the pixels appear concentrated around the centre with a standard (monitor) screen but would have a tunneling effect on an image that didn't take this into account. A simple fix to account for this in software with oculus compatible games.

:)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2013
  9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Contact made.

10. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Ahah this could not be serious.

11. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2013
  12. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Nice 1 Tim, & Adrianstealth for helping :D Looking forward to some feedback from the lads that have ordered :cool:

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Great! Let's hope it's not a big job for ISI devs

March/April is the time oculus ships out the units so a couple of months yet

Drripper -your right , another waiting game hey )-:

14. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Yes, the 1000Hz are for raw sensor data refresh. There has to be some processing and filtering these data for sure, so the lag isn't known.

"The new Oculus sensor supports a refresh rate of up to 1000hz, which is several times faster than the previous sensor. In addition to the accelerometer and gyroscope, it also includes a magnetometer, which opens new doors in terms of sensor data and head-tracking. The data coming from the new sensor will be accessible using the Oculus SDK in easy to manipulate formats (quaternion, matrix, Euler angles). The raw sensor data is also available for those that want to do the math themselves."
    (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game/posts)

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

news on steam

oculus support :

left 4 dead
    dirt 2
    half life 2
    portal 2
    skyrim
    mirrors edge
    AaAaAA!!
    unreal tournament 3
    dear esther

includes full head tracking also

hopefully more to come quickly !

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Oculus rift -over 10,000 pre-ordered already ...ISI supporting??

I've been so pumped about this, for about a year now, I don't know how it never occurred to me that you won't be able to see any of your gear. I totally forgot about that.

I guess people will just have to use the actual car's in game dash, more realistic anyway, but what about if you have many buttons and switches on your wheel, or if you have a button box, or whatever.

I guess when we try to replace our real life world view with a fake digital one, we have to make some compromises.

I really, really hope the monitor part has very low input lag, or else I won't use it for sim racing no matter how amazing the rest of the product is.....

17. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Yes...but the universe says that extra buttons is further down the priorities list than VR headset. :p

Oh....I can't wait either.

18. Spyder

Spyder Registered

With companies like Derek Speare Designs and Fanatec making such gorgeous hardware I'm struggling with the Oculus, think I'd rather think of my triple screens as a windscreen and my physical hardware as my interior ...

[​IMG]

Will look forward to trying the Oculus though :)

19. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

hand tracking with something like kinnect will come along and give us access to some pitstuff although that doesnt help with buttons that are not in the physical car like adjusting pitstop functions etc.

I do simple racing so I think it would work well for me, I dont have to worry about too many buttons. I do use voice control for my flight sims which is excellent for talking to wingmen, ATC etc so I dont see why it cant be used for my virtual buttons either.

I know where all my wheel buttons are, I am never looking at them. I never look to where my shifter is, my hand just goes there.

I imagine it wont be too long from when you can map your virtual in game hand to the real world position of your shifter so when you move your hand in game to the stick it will be placed on your real one.

With finger tracking on kinnect I also imagine some smart person will implement a virtual button box in game so it pops up and you press the buttons.

As long as you can use your wheel, pedals and shifter without looking I dont think anything else is going to be a long term killer.

20. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Yes, I can see where your coming from. That is indeed some smoking hot looking tech. But two reasons why i favour a vr headset over not using it so i can visibly see the gear. 1) When I'm racing, the wheel + peripheral devices are not my centre of focus, my concentration is in the virtual world through a display as I drive. 2) My intention for buying quality tech is not for their aesthetic qualities (though it's never a bad thing if they look amazing and i find does help to justify spending the extra $$$ to myself :)) but for their functional qualities. This is why i bought the CSR-E over the CSW as they both generate the same ffb quality+strength, the csr-e wheel is lighter so it doesn't affect the ffb as much as csw with bmw rim. I was so close to hitting purchase of the CSW until i read a little more about some of these points.

My focus of attention are on the relevant sensory components of the racing experience such as the wheel/ffb quality and video/audio reception. With Oculus Rift, i will get to see (and feel) as if i am physically inside the world of rf2 and I will be able to look around in a natural way that puts trackir to shame. The experience is going to be more immersive by bringing me closer to that 1:1 feeling of being there whilst also giving me more freedom to interact with that world intuitively with the head tracker.

Triple screen is great and a nice solution to bring those same elements that oculus will bring to the table. I was actually looking online to build myself a triple screen setup when i finally took this thread seriously and checked out the oculus rift online. It's something i've dreamed of since i first experienced 3D gaming with trackir some 8 years ago. But compared to triple screen, i cannot say with absolutely certainty without having ofc tried the oculus but i am fairly convinced (from what i've seen/heared from many sources) that the oculus will be more immersive than a triple screen can ever achieve.

Just my two pence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.