Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

That would be my drawback too. I use a Nostromo for hot keys, plus the buttons on my shifter. I have to glance at these devices from time to time when racing. Same with flight sims, I must be able to see them to use the correct keys/buttons.

But for a shooter (which I use the Nostromo for control), the Oculus would be sweet. I just can't imagine myself getting along with it in race/flights sims though. That is not to say others wouldn't be able to, just that I see the drawback I would have. I would love to try one first hand though. I bet the effect is terrific. I just don't think I would get along well with it blocking my view of things I do need to be able to see. Skyrim would be a blast with it though :)

2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

It's strange because in the same sense, a person with a controller does not need to take their eye's off the screen to look at the buttons and/or analogue sticks. If you have no buttons on the wheel and require a keyboard then i can understand this being a serious problem with a VR headset. But doesn't your wheel feature (at least) a half-decent ergonomic layout for intuitive and easy button use without having to focus your eyes on them?

Plus side, you will see the virtual wheel in the game as if it was your physical world wheel. Your single wheel suddenly = every conceivable wheel. :p

3. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

My wheel has six buttons. I have another 12 buttons on my shifter that I have to reach for. I also have another button box, which I normally use with 16 buttons. I need to look at them to make selections. It's usually only a few times per race (setting up pit stops, adjusting brake bias), but I do need to see them.

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Sounds like you have a G27 and if you find the need to use all the buttons, then yeah i can understand it would be a problem for you with a completely closed VR-headset.

I think it was just a misunderstanding between members because you explained...

...and it's not a common practice to have to focuses yours eyes on the wheel when your driving, or even the buttons on the actual wheel but certainly you would if it were buttons on the shifter and we didn't know you had (or were even referring to) a shifter.

[​IMG]

:p

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2013
  5. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

In my country, we are taught not to look at controls when operating motor vehicle. Practice touching the button without looking at it, trust in your proprioception and tactile feedback as you gently caress your button panel.

edit: I use a g27 and never look at the buttons (6 on wheel, 12 on shifter). Fingers know where they are!

6. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

Yeah, I need to see my buttons on my shifter and keyboard from time to time. I'm not sure about you guys, but there's a lot of adjustments to be made while racing. I have buttons used on my wheel for PTT (teamspeak), pit limiter, LCD mode Cycle, look behind and something else I forget now, that get used during the race. I don't need to see the buttons on the wheel.

It's the shifter buttons for pit road adjustments where I need to look over.

7. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

Good luck with that. This is not the real world, it's tiny little buttons on a plastic shifter.

8. imonarefactor

imonarefactor Registered

I don't even look down at my keyboard or mouse during the entire working day, I don't see this being a problem on my DFGT as the buttons are in the perfect spot.

I'd also suggest that if the Oculus is really as good as some people think, than maybe the people with current setups that require sight would be able to adjust them to move to the 'next' technology.

I am pumped for this, as I don't have the room for three monitors and the cost in video cards and monitors is much more than the Oculus. I also have a feeling that seeing my virtual arms on the wheel covered in 1960's gloves could really add to the immersion. I can't wait to do my shoulder checks going into the corners!!!

9. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I dont see a problem with buttons on the wheel. At the moment even the speed and gear display on the wheel isn't very useful for me, because when in race refocusing the eyes from wheel to display already takes to much time.

I don't see a problem with the keys on the shifter (G25, G27) either. If you don't see them you will learn to use them without seeing them. The 12 buttons are well placed and partly have different shape.

Mouse is not a problem. Using the keyboard probably is a problem though.

10. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Me too! I have a Button Box that I use regulary during the race! I have Pro-shift and Speedmeter in my cockpit ! I have also my ipad that I love to use in the race, because I use it to controll the tiers pressure and temperature!

11. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

Seriously it would take you about 10 minutes to get the hang of it and then you will never need to look at the buttons again. Tiny buttons make it even easier because you can lay your fingertips or hand over multiple buttons and feel where they are right away. Computer keyboards have more than 100 buttons and people can use them without needing to look.

For using an iPad yes there is a problem because you have no tactile feedback. Hmmm

12. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

I'm old - I need to look if they aren't on my wheel. ;-)

Hey, I'm not knocking new technology, just saying it sounds like it wouldn't work for me when it comes to racing.

Other games - probably.

13. vittorio

vittorio Registered

But to know where your car ends and where the other drivers are (naturally and instinctive because of high FOV, headtracking and stereoscopic 3D) adds alot to simracing.

14. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

Head tracking is another thing I've never been able to use in online racing. I use Track IR for flight sims and love it. But I can't use it in racing as it just screws up my sense of what the car is doing.

15. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I have exactly the same problem using TrackIR, i can't use it because the screen is fixed, completley unnatural and weird feeling. The headtracking on the oculus rift should feel the same like in real life. So if you can look around while driving in real life without getting confused, you should be able to do the same with the oculus rift (presumed there is very less lag, and thats why oculus is working on a 1000Hz refresh)

16. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Great news! Thanks Adrian!

About the discussion of able to see buttons or not. First of all all buttons on wheel can be operated without seeing them - same for shifter, handbrake, etc. Big patterns of buttons could be a problem but for sure there would be a workaround. For example you could activate a webcam with one steering wheel button so that your panel of buttons and hand is shown for example in a little screen located on bottom left corner of your screen. Or there could be some virtual buttons shown on the screen. Maybe one could even navigate a virtual button system using head tracking as guidance. Possibilities are endless, don't worry about it guys! :)

17. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

BTW, in case someone didn't already know, try pressing both look left and right at the same time.

18. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

In the real world you can feel what the car is doing though. My sense of "feel" for what the car is doing online is by visual cues and sound. With my view changing by where I look I lose that sense of "feel."

Who knows, it might work or it might not.

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

The tracking in the oculus rift is suppose to mimic natural head moving vision (not like track ir where your eyes need to fix on the screen etc) , the VR screen simply displays what you'd really see as if you were really in the virtual world.

Ive always thought that VR headsets is the way it's all going sooner or later,some F1 teams have acknowledged this also (for their training simulators).

Hopefully the oculus will be the first success for VR in the home, VR could be the next big step in simulators/gaming we shall see.
    Made me laugh when I heard that people claimed that talking in movies (as oppose to silent movies with some guy playing a piano) would never catch on.

20. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Yep I believe it's completely different (and natural) experience with Oculus when compared to traditional head tracking and fixed displays. About the lag. I think they've cranked up to 1000 Hz to compensate lag elsewhere. There are lots of lag for example when vsync is used. Hopefully some day they have 120 Hz display on the Oculus because that should lower the input lag considerably.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.