Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hi, has ISI also ordered a devkit?

Early support would be great, this item is creating a lot of anticipation in the sim racing community

A word from Tim or anyone at ISI would be great

Ps an oculus rift is a vr headset shipping due march much info in YouTube etc

Think it would be a massive boost for rfactor 2 if I were to put a vid of me in my motion rig wearing an oculus rift whilst driving within rfactor 2 (-:

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzCwczY1jTM&sns=em

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2014
  2. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Oops ...thanks for the pointer abriel, you are correct -the search option is under used,

Would be nice to see a "staff posted" icon next to one if these threads even if ISI says "maybe in the future -we're just to busy to even think about it at the moment etc"

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Like with any hardware like that, we'd need one to do it, and emails to them went unreturned. If you have pre-ordered one, feel free to ask them to communicate with me: timw@imagespaceinc.com, because I'm done. :)

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Tim

Lots of thanks for the reply, I'll send them an email right away

6. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

How are you supposed to drive with this blindfold over your eyes? You can't see your wheel, can't see your shifter, can't see your keyboard and most importantly you can't see your beer spilling all over the place.

Waste of money imho!

7. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

This is so German and would be so not German (not tidy, clean).

I was born in Germany and I know the feeling. However right now I'm forever sober Pole. :( Genetic liver problems.

8. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

This!

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Racefreak -one could see everything -but in the virtual world

Re.buttons, the only ones I use are on my steering wheel & I don't look at them whilst sim racing (because I know where they are)
    So having a VR headset on isn't a problem

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2013
  10. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

This is something I'd like to be able to try for a few days and if I didn't like it have the option to take it back for a refund.

11. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

No imagination, no vision. Think of the possibilities! :p

[​IMG]

However i do find this image misleading (here the rift for looks beyond 110 degrees in this pic)......and the oculus rift splits it's single 16:10 screen into 2 halves for each eye, so you have an 8:10 screen per eye so how can the end image be widescreen and furthermore, as widescreen as portrayed in this picture??? Or did i miss something?

this is what you see per eye:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. CRex

CRex Registered

I think not seing the wheel will be great. It will feel like the hands and wheel in the game really are mine. I dont use the keyboard while driving so no prob there. I DO drink beer while gaming though, but that can be sorted at any stop/pauses along.

I imagine sitting on a motion-sim with oculus rift. The immersion must be absolutely awesome. I'll certainly buy the rift, rF2 support or not.

13. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Predicted evolution of oculus rift in 2360......:p

[​IMG]

Couldn't agree more.

....or....

[​IMG]

:cool:

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Dripper

The oculus rift also includes very fast head tracking for (apparently) natural head movement tracking, the user will not be restricted to a fixed screen, you would simply look around as if in a real world this fixed fov is much less of an issue

I think the devkit also has a slighter bigger screen (& slightly wider fov ) than the previous demo versions as on YouTube etc

That's the way I understand it any how

15. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Yeah, full 3 axis degrees of rotation head-tracking is great and i suspect this is partly why they are having great success as it's a really complete package. I think the portrait view is a little odd though and more so as the visual demonstrations of the fov don't align with the nature of the 8:10 screen per eye and therefore the overall image we will see.

Fyi, where abouts in Leicester you from? I was brought up in Oadby.

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Drripper

Hiya, re.oculus -hope the new improved dev version keeps me going ( & there's some support lol ! )
    Have sent them an email to reply to Tim W.

I'm close to the centre ( hinckly road area in one of those 3 story Victorian houses ) Oadby's nice

17. Golanv

Golanv Registered

LOL and yes I do agree that having a cockpit with all these fancy sim items and then throwing a $300 blindfold on is just redundant in so many ways. Potential is great for alot of genres, but how it turns into a racing sim, I have no idea.
    Phillips made a 50" 3d tv without need for glasses, thats what Im more interested about atm. than these skimasks.

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Gosh it's interesting reading the opinions of others, high spec head tracking 3d VR headsets (at a cheap retail price thus under $500 )
    I think could be the next big thing in gaming, Sim-racing with one of these or using it for something like arma 2 is a like a dream come true for me & my pals all of which have ordered one

The 3d effect for consistent image per eye is amazing 3d ( tried other products intended more for private movie watching)
    I'm happy with my nvidia 3d surround setup, but don't think it will even come close to 3d VR head tracking

19. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

When it eventually becomes a headset that covers your physical eyes complete field of view, then why would you even want a make shift cockpit in the real world??? You would be inside the cockpit looking through the eyes of the virtual driver at a 1:1 dimensional relation to that of the real world. Lacking on "the seat of your pants" feel if you don't have a motion platform, you would be 90% complete immersed in the virtual world.

Now who can say that is wouldn't be better than a make-shift top-class home-cockpit?

Yeah....it's only the next logical iteration of 3d display technology. Why can't some people see it!?!?! lol

Please let me know what you think of them when they arrive, if not already. :D

20. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I have a 55" 3DTV (with glasses). Best distance to screen is ~2m. Having it closer the 3D effect gets too weak and therefor not realistic anymore (you get this with every screen). With this setup i have a vertical FOV of ~20° (I only race with almost correct FOV, atm 26°). With a 20° FOV you dont even see the tyres of your car in an open wheeler ! Headtracking with a static screen isn't useful (at least for me. i cant get used to it. maybe because of 3D).

With the oculus you have 110° vertical FOV and natural feeling headtracking. I think this has alot of potential especially for simracing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.