Input lag measurements

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KeiKei, Jan 19, 2013.

1. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

You should definately try it @ 144 Hz! Seeing is believing. :)

2. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Yes I think I know exactly what you mean. I have nVidia card and tested it today with 120 and 144 Hz. Surprisingly there's absolutely no difference in tracing whatsoever between those two and actually also no difference to original settings. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong here and hence fail to enable the backlight strobing. Here are registry settings I found and tried:

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D]
    @=""
    "EnablePersistentStereoDesktop"=dword:00000001
    "EnableWindowedMode"=dword:00000005
    "StereoRefreshDefaultOn"=dword:00000000
    "StereoTypeSet"=dword:00000001
    "StereoVisionConfirmed"=dword:00000001

However it's already so darn clear and motion clarity is unbelieveable. Nothing like my older LCD monitor. Difference is like day and night! When I'm going 250 km/h and look some objects near the track flying by I basically don't see any tracing/ghosting on those. So I strongly believe it's already doing this LightBoost when 2D. Also the screenshot from nVidia Control Panel at http://www.techngaming.com/home/guid...ightboost-r485 is different to what I have now. Maybe nVidia changed default action in later display drivers to automatically enable LightBoost when 3D is not used and refresh rate is 120 or higher. It's the only explanation I could think of. I mean I can't even imagine how the motion clarity could be improved from the level it now is. :)

I hope you could test this Asus VG278HE monitor with latest nVidia drivers and on both 120 and 144 Hz so we would know how it really is.

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I wish I could test that monitor too, you have a beautoful one.

"LightBoost is a programmable strobe, backlight stays turned off while waiting for pixel persistence. The pixel transitions are kept in total darkness, and the backlight is strobed only after pixel transitions are finished. This bypasses pixel persistence as the motion blur barrier. The strobe lengths are only 1 milliseconds long on the BENQ, and 2 milliseconds long on the ASUS."

---------------- The 1ms strobes eliminate 94% of motion blur (1ms out of 1/60sec) relative to a common 60Hz LCD, and eliminates 85% of motion blur (1ms out of 1/120sec) relative to 120Hz LCD’s!!!!!

The strobing cant be enabled at 144 hz, only in 120 hz mode. They say that a 60hz strobing monitor looks just as good, if not better than a 120hz non-strobed, so based on that, I am pretty sure a 120hz strobed, will look much better than a 144hz non-strobed, but I am reading that this does add a tiny bit of input lag, people are saying the added amount is so tiny it doesnt matter at all, and the motion clarity more than makes up for it. Hmmmmmmm, I gotta do more research on the added input lag, but ppl are having amazing results and are saying that they have gamed better than ever with it enabled.

I am definetely going to be doing more research on this during the next week. I will start a new thread as I have sort of hi-jacked the input lag thread.

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Much appreciated KeiKei and Spenelli! :)

5. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Did some reading too and it seems that registry hack isn't working anymore. It looks like one would need IR-transmitter just to be able to edit right setting in nVidia Control Panel. Typical nVidia crap of trying to fight against hacks made by genius people! :) So it looks like I couldn't get that thing working. Maybe I'll get that IR-thing one day and try this again. However I believe backlight strobing isn't that important in simracing because scenery is moving rather slow (when compared to those fast-paced first person shooters for example). However would very much like to experience the difference with my own eyes.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Is there any way you can return your new monitor and get the NON-E version? (just an "H" at the end, not "HE")???

7. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Yeah probably getting rid of tracing will clearly overcome the tiny few milliseconds increase in input lag at least on fast first person shooters. Will be very interesting to hear from your findings and feelings! Especially as you're a hardcore simracer too and hence are the right person to say if this reduced tracing/increased lag will make a difference in simracing too and which is more important over other.

8. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

I think the return period is already over. Also didn't want those 3D-glasses so this was cheaper and much better for my thin wallet. :)

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

10. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Hopefully this will help you KeiKei. It emulates an IR emitter tricking nvidia drivers into thinking one is physically plugged in.

I'm buying your monitor in the morning. :p

edit: Opps, i forgot to leave you the link lol.

http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=997

edit 2: nvm, just saw your post in Spinelli's thread. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013
  11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

If you can make do with a 24 inch inch, then the BENQ XL2411T and ASUS VG248QE, are apparently the best for this as they are 1 ms monitors, the others I believe are 2 ms which gives more cross-talk between the strobe of each refresh. On top of this, the XL2411T also supposedly has some of the lowest input lag of any monitor.

If you do go for the 27 " Asus, and if you dont mind spending some extra money then...."ASUS VG278H (non "E") is better at LightBoost than VG278HE (less crosstalk on non "E")".

However, as KeiKei pointed out, I think you will be satisfied either way :).

12. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Thanks for the pointers but money is a deciding factor as well as going for a 24" would be a downgrade from my last 3 years of 27". There's no going back to lower display size for me I'm afraid I've been too spoilt. :p

I was a little concerned about those attributes that favour the Benq but I'll have to see for myself if I can imagine it could be any better before I make any final decisions on keeping it. Thank goodness for distance selling regulation.

13. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

14. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Hey fellow simracers!

After seeing with my own eyes Oculus Rift is not quite yet there (for me) decided to purchase one of those new G-Sync capable monitors. Updated input lag measurements to the opening post. Here's the added stuff for those of you already familiar with my previous measurements:

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Or deal with some tearing and loss of fluidity and play without GSync for even less input lag ;) .

P.S. Which monitor did you get? One of the Acer Predator models? Philips makes an awesome one too.

16. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Where is source to this 60hz strobing monitor information?

"LightBoost is hardware-limited to refresh rates between 100Hz and 120Hz.
    For 144 Hz, LightBoost is turned off (automatically). Fortunately, there’s far less motion blur with 120 Hz LightBoost than with 144 Hz non-LightBoost.
    You need framerate matching Hz for best LightBoost benefit.
    (e.g. 100fps@100Hz or 120fps@120Hz)
    The improved motion clarity can make tearing and stutters easier to see at higher framerates than normal. To compensate for this, upgrade your GPU for better fluidity, use a 1000Hz mouse for better fluidity, adjust game detail settings for better fluidity, and adjust VSYNC ON / OFF / Adaptive settings. In some situations, VSYNC ON (more lag) or Adaptive VSYNC (less lag) can make LightBoost motion smoother looking."

Official List of 120Hz, 144Hz and 240Hz computer monitors: http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/120hz-monitors/?source=lightboost :confused:

17. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I can confirm what Keikei said.
    Got me a Acer Predator 4k with G-sync few days ago and the experience is miles better!
    Butter smooth, even at low frame-rates and there seem to be subjective no input lag!
    I´ve changed from a CRT-Monitor so I was a little frightened about that, but I can´t see or feel any difference!

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I'm really hoping the upcoming Acer Predator XB270HU forces some price drops. At the moment, the ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q is pretty much the "be-all, end-all" gaming monitor. It's overpriced though and can stay overpriced as it has no direct competition. The Acer is supposed to be coming out in Q1 2015. Hopefully it is priced lower than ASUS and forces ASUS to do some price drops. I think the Acer is using the exact same panel as the Swift, it looks to be pretty much identical. I really hope we see some price drops when this comes out as ASUS seems to really be price-gouging ATM.

19. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

It's Acer XB270HA. "Cheap" compared to Asus but has lower resolution too. But actually 1080p was exactly what I wanted because framerate will be higher compared to 1440p. To each his own. :)

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

That's a really, really sweet monitor ;)