Can we hope?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTClub_wajdi, Jan 16, 2013.

1. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

I beg to differ. I suspect ISI designed it in a way where the graphics engine is easily improved or even replaced. Graphics tend to be an easy thing to improve because it doesn't affect the actual gameplay. No core mechanics are changed.

2. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Dx9 ensures that people who are even on win xp can enjoy rF2, and making two engines was just too much work for ISI atm. if I understood Tim correctly.
    I have no idea what kind of job it would be to turn this engine into dx11, but it is true that there is deffinetly benefits from dx11 over dx9. Are they big differences graphics wise, not really, but it does give same graphics with less stress to your system for example, plus it has few bells and whistles that dx9 doesnt have.
    Also 64bit .exe wouldnt hurt, topic that have been talked about/questioned awhile now.

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/3664-ISI-will-rf2-use-higher-DX-64-bit-OS-in-the-future

3. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

XD I suppose I should upgrade my 32 bit Windows XP system sometime soon.... Though it seems a waste as rFactor is literally the only thing I use Windows for anyway...

4. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

As for the DX9 / DX11 thing - keep in mind that GT5 only uses features typical for DX9, since PS3 has graphics processor based on GeForce 7.

The biggest mistake is to compare 6 year old DX9 game with modern DX11 game. This will not tell you the difference between DX9 and DX11, but difference between a game developed in 2007 and game developed in 2013.

But if you compare the same game, developed in 2013, running in DX9 and DX11 modes - you will note that some things may be slightly different, but general look of the game is the same.

Graphics quality is mostly in lighting, shadows, reflections and other algorithms implemented by game developer. DX11 offers more effective ways of implementing the same algorithms as well as more flexibility. But it's still all in the hands of game engine.

The best proof is that CryEngine 3 can run on both PS3 and xBox 360.

It's pretty much the same story with CryEngine 2 and all other engines that had both DX9 and DX11 support.

[​IMG]

As you can see - not that much of a difference. A lot can be acheived with DX9 and only improved additionally with DX11.
    If game engine is not that good with DX9, then it will be not much better with DX11 anyway.

And if it's good with DX11, then the same guys who made it will be well capable of doing more less the same with DX9.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2013
  5. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Thank you K Szczech. Now I can just post this picture when another one says that it would look much better with DX11 support.

6. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

You can be sure that someone will ask in the future for DX11, I have no doubts about that. ;)

7. 4L0M

4L0M Registered

I want DX11.....Why?

So it will utillize the hardware that i own. I also want 64 bit executables.......64 bit Processors have been around for what 10 years now? Surely 32-bit processors must be in the minority these days?

@Flaux.

Some people are under the misconception that we all want DX11 for better graphics....I want it for better optimization, better workflows, more efficient use of my graphics card and processor.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2013
  8. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Yeah, I was only referring to the whole "DX11 would look better" thingy :)

But I'm affraid thngs are not as simple as you may think. Any company could easily switch do DX11, but it's not the same as really taking advantage of DX11.

With no disrespect to anyone's work, I'm actually happy ISI is not spending time on DX11. That's because I have pretty good idea for how long that would choke them up if it was to be done properly.
    And if it wasn't to be done properly then there's no point in spending time on it at all.
    Especially that there are other, more urgent things to do right now.

No, definitely not.
    I don't even have to look into their code to know that.

9. Gogo Ziher

Gogo Ziher Registered

Nice bullshots:)

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

"may" - is a more accurate quotation for you to be repeating.

11. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Ahh yes, may.

Anywhoo, K Szczech enlightning as always, thanks for that.
    I just wait with child like enthusiasm for the next build and what these ISI elves bring to the table nexttime. Theres so much content I havent even touched yet tho, so I need to go do some laps.

12. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Oh within 6 months we are getting DX11, that's great news! ;)

13. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

Wots that? DX11 next build confirmed by Tim? wicked bro spread da werd.

14. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Yeah he said may! January, february, april, ... ;)

Just to make sure no-one gets it wrong: I'm joking about the fact that people tend to "deliberately" understand things wrong when they want something real bad. :)

15. Minibull

Minibull Member

Ohh mint bro, I'll be all over the forums with my posts stating that Tim has personally guaranteed DX11 in the next build, which is due out in a few days, which will be better than AC...

16. Golanv

Golanv Registered

I concur. I think he said may would be the release date tho.

"May, the force be with you... and rFactor2 too." he said.

17. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

But... but... but... I'm still on XP! XD

18. 3Dnooblet

3Dnooblet Registered

If ISI fix the undershadows, refine the tones and a few other things, its not so bad.