The sunglass-style Wrap™ 1200VR

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by David Almiron, Jan 11, 2013.

1. David Almiron

David Almiron Registered

hello, I'm seriously considering buying an eyeglass The Wrap ™ 1200VR http://www.vuzix.com/consumer/products_wrap_1200vr.html
    and he has a head tracker new generation, my question is whether rfactor 2 already has this technology, if someone runs already using this technology, I have little doubt to be a very expensive equipment and also afraid that does not work, awaiting help.
    Thank you.

2. Twista

Twista Registered

Wait for the Oculus Rift.

3. Matt Bradley

Matt Bradley Registered

very nice piece of kit would solve the frustrations i have with track IR but unfortunately it's a bit out of my my price range.
    3d works with rfactor2 and so dose track ir, i don't see anything else at play here so i cant see why it wouldn't work. the only problem i can see how you going to see the bottoms on your wheel, gear stick etc.
    that and you will probably need a behemoth of a pc to run it with it being 3d and equivalent to a 75' screen

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2013
  4. David Almiron

David Almiron Registered

No need to see the commands, which are already memorized all, lol

5. David Almiron

David Almiron Registered

6. Twista

Twista Registered

7. David Almiron

David Almiron Registered

good news,

8. Matt Bradley

Matt Bradley Registered

would never usually consider something like this but the rift seams very reasonable certainly better value than a triple screen, if it's as good as it sounds. 300$ pre order a dev kit, wonder if theirs gonna be any difference in price for the consumer model.

9. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

The Wrap 1200VR only has a resolution of 852 x 480 so it would run fine on an average gaming computer. I am waiting for the oculus rift consumer version. It should have superior resolution and field of view

10. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Since the Dev Kit for the Oculus Rift doesn't include any software to integrate the system into any games or systems what so ever with the exception of the Doom demo that they used, I would suspect that R&D would have to be covered so there would necessarily be an increase in the cost to the consumer in the end.

There are a few things that make a VR system for racing a little difficult to imagine. First off there is usually the lack of being able to see all of your controls, and as there are a number of sim racers who use button boxes, shifters and wheel plates with buttons, being able to see them is almost a must.

The second issue is not as big an issue, but can be for those that are used to using triple monitors or even a 5 monitor setup. That is the horizontal FOV. The Sony headset listed above only has a 45 degree hFOV and the Oculus only has a 90 degree hFOV. While most single monitor users would not see any difference in what they could see, those with ultra wide screen resolutions and wrap around screens would notice the limits right away.

Ideally, VR headsets should provide for 190 degree hFOV with about 50 degrees of overlap between the left and right eye screens so that real life is as closely emulated as possible to reduce the feeling of being sick with the motion.

The third issue with most VR headsets is the lack of ability for those that have to wear glasses as a normal part of life. Near sighted and far sighted people require different things. A near sighted person might be able to see the screens clearly with out their glasses due to the close proximity to the eyes. A far sighted person however might have real issues seeing the screens clearly without glasses. Older people that are starting to have issues with their eyes not being able to change focus at close distances will also likely have issues with this type of headset.

All of those issues will surely limit the sales to mostly console systems or PC's playing quake, doom or some other FPS where your controls are always in hand and you don't have to reach out for anything else. I hope that developers take all these issues to heart, but I won't be holding my breath.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2013
  11. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

Actually most head mounted displays use optics that make the virtual image of the screens appear to be at an infinite/far distance. So a short sighted person will not be able to see it clearly without glasses, and a long sighted person may be able to.

12. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I came awfully close to thinking this was SPAM, as another thread promising nude pics of a celebrity was posted at the same time... Good job you mentioned "rFactor2" :D

13. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Interesting. I had not thought that the optics would have the convergence set up like that. Might have to have a look at them a little closer then when they are more capable of reaching the 190 degree mark without costing a small house in funds.

14. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

I don't think 190 degrees would be needed. Maybe 120 degree FOV would be more than well enough. Maybe even less with head tracking system.

15. Axly

Axly Registered

i might be wrong, but i watched a longer interview with an oculus rep. and i'm pretty sure he mentioned a 110 degree fov and that that paired with the tracking would give an even larger experience.
    That clip was fantastic in Another sense however, during the interview a guy testing the glasses put the tracking to the test and almost falls off the chair in the background as he leans backward to the left while looking straight up...

16. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

For me, I would want 190 degrees so that my full vision was covered. I don't want to feel like I have a pair of blinders on that prevent me from seeing what I should naturally see if I am going to wear a VR headset. If my view is going to be limited I might as well have a large format monitor in front of me so I can see my surroundings instead of a headset on.

17. Woodee

Woodee Registered

18. liebestod

liebestod Registered

I like nude pics of celebrities.

19. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

But a race driver's field of view is significantly limited by their helmet, so they will not have a 190 degree field of view.

20. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I am sure that really depends on the era that you are driving Barf. For instance, the 60's Formula car drivers didn't use full face helmets, they wore goggles and the FOV with a good set of goggles was very close to full view. With today's full face helmets, yes I can agree with your assessment of the viewable area.