We rely on the ISI or not?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dimitris Kat., Jan 10, 2013.

1. Dimitris Kat.

Dimitris Kat. Registered

I had a conversation with a friend who hasnt got the rFactor2 and gave me a simple question that I could not answer. So I decided to officially ask people about this issue.

Will we be able to play online if ISI server goes down or when ISI will decide "that was we stop working on rFactor2"?Will we be able ignore the Log In or game over for us if something of this happen?

2. Hagen Tröger

Hagen Tröger Registered

God bless ISI :D

3. SVO

SVO Registered

My money is on ISI :)

4. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

I wouldn't be afraid of that at all. I don't give any explanation but surely there would be work-around for that extremely unlikely situation.

5. Golanv

Golanv Registered

I concur.
    Fear not my furry little friend, rFactor is here to stay.

KeiKei55.4?? your settings for LRPnochichane national... have you driven with those settings with regional or do you have another piece of art work for those tires, if you do, Me Want! :p

6. Maug

Maug Registered

Make some search dude. Rfactor can still be played online and is still being taken care by ISI while it was released in 2005.

7. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Heh, sorry no setup for the regional. Regional behaves very differently so probably needs own setup. Believe it could be achieved by making little changes to the national setup.

8. Golanv

Golanv Registered

But... that means work and Im lazy, or so I am told. :(

9. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

i recently learned they will have a backup server for matchmaker in rf2 so it should be solid.

And even in rf1, i asked them a few months ago, they will not even forsaken rf1 so i think we are good :)

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Really? :) I can't resist answering with: Yes it's probably a good idea to start worrying about this now, because it's not like an update was released for rFactor1 to keep it running (when TryMedia shuts down) just last month. It's also not like we've said that we'll be adding features, content, etc for rFactor2 for years (and did that already with rFactor1). So it's probably good to start worrying about this right now at this stage, before those years can start, and also about whether there's enough evidence around to think that ISI is going to disappear and do something else, because after all, ISI has only been around a few years, not like all those other developers that stay focussed on the one product, company name or under the same owner. /amusement

:)

11. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Someone slap a captain sarcasm sticker on Tims back at work, maybe throw in some cool logo. I think he has earned it by now. :p

12. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

I clearly remember you saying (maybe even before beta) that you could stop working on it!!!!!
    (In the event of an asteroid hitting the ISI headquarters, that is)

13. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

New member to the forum, seemed an innocent question not in his mother tongue, cut the guy some slack. I can understand why he may not have found an answer through searching as there is tons of rubbish threads with people carrying on about reputation points etc., the amount of good information is becoming less and less as the forum becomes hijacked by immature twats.

I don't understand why it took 9 posts before someone gave a proper response, it reflects badly on the community.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2013
  14. Golanv

Golanv Registered

I agree.
    I would give you +++ reputation for this message if there would be reputation still in existance.

15. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

true Playlife. on the other hand, questioning ISI's reliabillity in your first post.....i dont want to come across as paranoid but one might wonder what the agenda is. i mean this is the internet after all :)

16. Pits

Pits Registered

"the amount of good information is becoming less and less as the forum becomes hijacked by immature twats."

Gee I wonder why. Good information doesn't come from forum users it comes from ISI and there's not a lot of that.

I think sarcasm in the nicest way to address his post was used, I mean "really". One thing was right, it sure was an innocent question....

17. 88mphTim

That really didn't answer the question (he asked about ISI stopping support, the answer was about the backup server - which will only be there while we are supporting). It's actually not possible to answer the question. All you can do is look at the company involved, look at the history (which that post also mentioned, regarding rF1) and support of that company for it's products, and take assumptions from that. But that's all you're doing, making an assumption - and that's all everyone at ISI can do, too. We assume and expect to be supporting this for many, many years.

I used a fair bit of artistic license with my response, yes, but it's also the most factual answer possible (if you flip the fact that I was saying the opposite).

18. sg333

sg333 Registered

ISI is too big to fail :p

:D

19. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Nuh-uh... no you di'nt!

Theres ****loads of good advise and smart as hell people on these forums that come up with so amazing crap from time to time that ISI goes "whaa?!? :confused:". Its individuals that ruin that image not the whole damn community and people need to know the difference.

20. 88mphTim

I also think the community support is great. I only have time to sweep the support forum every other day, if that, and I constantly see fantastic advice, to the point where all I used to do was just give some good rep points to those answering the questions. There's some real good guys here.