A few changes, including refund policy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Jan 7, 2013.

1. elbo

elbo Registered

In my view rFactor was not really complete when it went gold. Modders made the final bells and whistles and polished it up. What was important I think was that once gold the core of the program then became 'static' which allowed modders to work on a 'non-moving' target and probably helped in terms of attracting people to develop mods. I assume nobody wants to pour too much time in something that is likely to change and then lead to incompatibilities and then necessitate more work to bring the mod up to the core software changes. Maybe I'm out to lunch on this as I couldn't mod my way out of a wet paper bag...

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

If this was about large markets, you wouldn't be getting a simulator at all, you'd be getting a GT5 or Forza clone, and it probably wouldn't be on PC.

I don't even know if we'll ever use the term Gold, I doubt it, because I don't think the company has really used that since it was doing products for EA. rF1 got the closest, being put on DVD, but they still didn't stop development on it, and just released an update for it.

Why would a product need more content at a certain point? I don't really understand your thought process there, feel free to explain. But for me, the product must as what it is, not what it will be. In the future, when we do release other content, THEN it is something different, it's no longer the product it was, it is the product it is then.

3. 88mphTim

Not quite sure I understand, maybe a language issue. What is it not possible to make finished? Everything is possible to make finished, you just have to hold onto the files (which I would hope you were doing anyway, even with an rF1 mod) incase we make a change that effects your work.

4. 88mphTim

I see that point, yes. But as I said in my post above, this is rF2 now. With the next 5 years, every update, that is all going to be rF2. You know, I hate to keep bringing it up, but I've seen this exact reaction before with iRacing. In 2008 it was launched with just about the same areas of issue rF2 has (I'm not hiding from them, or sugar coating them), and it gets updated. Then, the product becomes what it becomes. I firmly believe that this will do just fine, and you're not paying us every month.

5. 88mphTim

Thanks for that. I am also going to make individual forums for each car and track from ISI, and another forum for discussion of modder made ones. They're intended to be for you to discuss driving technique, etc, share setups, specific to those cars. And they'll be linked from the content profile pages you may have seen (like was done for the Skippy and Lime Rock). I also would like to start a testimonials thread in each one of those, with people who like each car, saying what they like, so that the profile pages help us sell the product to people who happen to land on them. Just wish there were more hours in the day for me right now. :)

6. 88mphTim

You were going to wait until you felt it was ready to do something, right? Still do that. You're now afraid that rF2 is going to be an ongoing development? Where have you been? We've always said that... I'm frankly just confused by this post... :(

7. spider19462000

spider19462000 Registered

Welcome to Rfactor2 people:D

8. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

No. They only estimate gold release when start selling this so called beta version.
    But a have feeling too that we are close to gold after they delete the word beta. Next step to gold, as it going, is deleting bug reports archive to get rid of annoying issues. Not good for sales reading here that Isi has no clue when they reach gold with all features announced.
    Maybe they use the aproach they use here when trying to get some license and the owner asks when software expected to be released: it will be when its done.
    But whats good about this thread is it when insatisfaction raises they release updates to calm down people. Probably this time with that most expected feature of downloading skins.

9. 88mphTim

Gaming communities and internet communities tend to be this way. But any change, even if it really isn't one, brings out the paranoia everyone has hiding in their psyche. I've seen it before, I'll see it again. ;) Demands and requests are a funny thing, because in almost every circumstance it is planned, it's just a case of the developer either finding the time or the will. And I've seen a lot of devs NOT do something because they simply don't like working on that project anymore. The guys at ISI though, they seem focused, and I think it's good that most of them don't come here too often.

I have seen devs just ban people, no refund, usually on MMOs, etc. I was always pretty shocked at it, I don't think it's morally right to do stuff like that, even though they all have the "legal" system on their side.

10. 88mphTim

If you genuinely believe that is a fact, I don't really know what to say. It's probably one of the most ludicrous things I have ever read.

There is nothing wrong with ambitious gamers, and their feedback and requests. But that wasn't who or what he was talking about. If you can't see the difference, wow.

11. Alesi

Alesi Registered

yeah, instead we`ll pay one time in a year

12. 88mphTim

rF1 wasn't probably out at this stage, yes. But I also think your memory of rF1 as it really was, it very sketchy. I think that games I played on my Amiga had great graphics, looked real, then I try them on an emulator today.....................

And again, you're making your thoughts of massive implication out of what is really little change at all. And it's fine, I understand, I'm just trying to explain. Hope that's clear, there's no malice in my text. ;)

13. 88mphTim

That was your choice of how you wanted to pay. There's really nothing else to say to that.

14. 88mphTim

What exactly have you read from us? Are you sure you're not reading what OTHER PEOPLE have said, taking it as fact, and then carrying a bias of opinion when reading what I'm posting? I'm guessing that is highly likely.

15. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Didn't know that Tim got fired from Isi. Where is he working now?

1 person likes this.
  16. 88mphTim

Indeed.

It's also worth noting, if it makes some feel any better, that those on the standard purchase, won't have to pay their yearly payment (if they want what it gives them) until June 2014... So it's not like we just changed the forum so we could just take payments in a year, there's 18mo there, AND you've had the whole period before today. Though I didn't know that June, 2014 was going to be that date until today, so forgive me for not putting that in the first post.

17. 88mphTim

The core did change a little in rF1, but you're right, that is the difference here. But in ISIs terms, rF1 never really went gold at all, and still isn't. If rF2 wasn't the complete priority, they'd probably have continued tweaking it.

But still, how these forum changes, and stuff, change what modders were faced with last week and this week, I have no idea. They were going to have to wait until they felt they could participate? Well, why aren't they still going to do that? Nothing has changed there for them.

18. spider19462000

spider19462000 Registered

lol

19. 88mphTim

I worked for iRacing from 5/2005 to 8/2010, then jumped over to ISI in 9/2010. The reference was to iRacing launching in 2008.

I'd known both Gjon and John (Henry) for years before I joined iRacing, as I founded RSC back in 1999, though then it was called Legends Central (after Grand Prix Legends).

20. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

I tought was reference to rf2 lauching.