So, Triple Screen or Projector?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by taufikp, Jan 4, 2013.

1. taufikp

taufikp Registered

The FOV is too high I think, but it sure does convey the illusion that you are sitting in the cockpit.

Well, for me the price of a single video projector is a lot cheaper than buying 2 more 32" monitors. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2013
  2. tjc

tjc Registered

I`ve seen a few screens and videos showing projection screens and I`ve got to say I agree, they certainly do give a great impression of actually being in the cockpit behind the wheel...

I do wonder what the image quality is like on them though as I do like my IQ...

If anybody here has used one or does atm then I`d appreciate your comments. :)

Have you ever tried one taufikp?

3. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Haven't try it and really would love to buy a projector. A friend of mine, Christopher Snow (a member of this forum as well) actually does have similar projector screen with 3D vision, according to him, the immersion level is fantastic.

Here's another video, showing 5 screen setup, but running iRacing. Can rF2 (or rF1) support monitor more than 3?

4. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I really dont like multiple screens, I dislike that fragmented vision.
    I had some research about projectors, looks like you can have a decent one for 1000?

5. Reprobator

Reprobator Registered

I have a triple head setup and a projector , the problem is that it is hard to chose.
    My projector is old (1280*1024) but the quality pretty good enough in fact, it is really immersive , i'm savingmoney now to buy a 1080p 3d one (but that coast a lot! )

i love my eyefinity setup too but it's less immersive in fact now.

6. taufikp

taufikp Registered

You can play rF2 with 1280x720 resolution, which IMO, its quality is quite good on big screen. The problem with projector is, you need darker room, and maybe more space than multi monitors setup?

7. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

It is better to play at night, but window blinds may do the trick, 1080 projectors are very bright.
    As for space, you can have projector on the ceiling, so I wouldnt say more space especially if you use a projection screen approx or a bit bigger than triple screen setup.

8. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Problem with 3D Vision is that if you sit that close like in that video the 3D effects are very very low (the further you go back the more effect). Using 3D on my 46 Samsung TV and about 80cm away from screen and a calculated FOV of 35 and try to put the dashboard an gauges right at the 0 depth screen level (3D) so steering wheel would come out of the screen matching almost my real wheel (so i have steering wheel and driver arms disabled (dont know why people need those)) and ie. nose of the F1 60 cars go into the 3D space (you have to play with convergence settings till that matches) and then you feel like sitting right in the car. Only drawback is that frontwheels ar not complete on the TV. So I am just looking for a 21:9 TV - missed a opportunity last year when they sold the "old" Philips 21:9 under 700 €.

1 person likes this.
  9. Reprobator

Reprobator Registered

Why would i play 1280*720 when i can play 1280*1024 ? i don't get it.
    About the darker room you are right but i don't care as i have a special room for that.

10. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

There are so many ways that a projector or a series of projectors could be used to make the racing experience more realistic. Having the projection screen just past the wheel and wrapping around down towards the floor for a single projector is nice, but the image being projected over your shoulder and onto your arms could be a little distracting.

Having 3 projectors on the ceiling behind you and projecting onto a wide format screen would allow for more of a wrap around you, but would cost 3 times as much obviously. The upside would be that you could setup for 180 degree image and have most or all of your peripheral vision filled as well.

A single projector behind the screen so it puts up an image that is seen through a semi-transparent screen is an option, though I understand that these tend to look a little washed out due to the way the screen has to be made.

Using triple projectors behind a screen as in the above example would allow for the wrap, and there are folks out there that manufacture screens that are seamless and curved so you could get the wrap that you want. Special lenses are required to have this work out though and add to the total cost of the display.

If you have lots of money, then a hemisphere screen with enough projectors to cover the area you want covered would be even more realistic. The issues would be space as there would have to be room for the projectors that are shooting the images onto the top portions of the screen and from my understanding the minimum length required is about 1.5 meters away from the screen to get a nice sharp image.

All of the multiple projector setups would require that the lenses be able to be adjusted vertically as well as horizontally so that you can align then up perfectly. Software would also be required to be able to split the image onto multiple projectors and still have it look good.

11. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

Thanks for this info.

I recently upgraded to 3D Vision with a 120Hz monitor and I've been quite disappointed in the 3D (in rFactor 2 and Skyrim) - I always thought the 3D effect was pretty average considering the praise it gets. I do sit very close to the monitor though so that might be why.

12. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Weelll... just out of my habit I guess, I like the widescreen (16:9) format better than the old 4:3 format since it gives you more view :D

@Gearjammer, this video below is a 3 projectors setup! :D (fast forward to 5:40)

13. Reprobator

Reprobator Registered

In fact it doesn't give more view, i'll just loose height but won't gain width.

14. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Sorry off topic:
    No I get great effects with both games and play Skyrim just normal sitting at my Desk on an 22 Samsung 120 HZ. Just follow this blog where you get many tips.
    http://helixmod.blogspot.co.at/

15. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSSeQWGnXpA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

here's a vid of my setup 5 months ago. its filmed from the sim driver view. if you get close enough with your racing chair and find the right fov it's very immersive. (at least for me). for the screens it's 3 low budget 23 tft that i bought for 125euro each(LG e2351vr-bn).... if your gfx can handle the resolution youll have a nice solution for under 400euro.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2013
  16. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

Thank you - I will have a look. I might PM you as to not hijack the thread with more questions. :)

17. Redpxl

Redpxl Registered

Saw this few weeks ago, never know it might give ideas
    They have this 2 projectors setup but also 3, 5 or 6 projectors
    http://www.simpit.co.nz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Miro

Miro Registered

i have compared the first video with this one side by side and must say the projector setup wins by far.

19. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

pretty nice, easy to do this DIY, just a sheet of plexi, some goopaint, warping software and a 1080p projector.
    Cost? I can do it under 1500 euros easily.

20. Andreh68

Andreh68 Registered

Dont know about projector space, but 3 monitors might be hard to set too. I still wasnt able to fit everything well, but I dont have a soultion for holding the 3 together, so I have to use a table.