Please sign my petition for ISI to include a realistic clutch option in rFactor 2

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Guy Moulton, Jan 4, 2013.

1. MMartin

MMartin Registered

+1

Please ISI, complete the job :)

2. michborg

michborg Registered

3. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Don't think this is ever going to happen... We have been complaining about it for YEARS. Might as well give up.

I mean I can just throw it from 2nd to 3rd to 4th to 5th without even lifting off the gas, much less using the clutch... Is that a "sim"???

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Okay I know I bagged the thread and I said what you just said years ago. lol

You love Historics I think, they most need this feature I do agree but when this
    petition first started it reminded of the get rid of mod manager one. hehe

But tell me if you like Historics what are we doing refueling ?

Isn't that a more basic thing should be fixed ?

If you going to include 60's and 70's Historical inaccuracy it should include working strategy.

Yes the drop in laptimes for full tanks is good I happy with that but the fueling times makes short filling ineffective.
    Same as 1, 2, 3 stopping.

That is what you should be able to do if you going to include refueling in 1960s
    alas the time you make up on track is ruined by minimum fuel time.

Personally I say Historics should have stops for repair and tyres only.

and before a clutch

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2016
  5. Minibull

Minibull Member

You really need to step back and have a breather bud...you are getting way to involved in this.

Yes, we could have seen a new transmission model, but that would have been at the expense of the other new tech they have implemented...so heres your new trans model and your fixed wet weather...just ignore the missing chassis flex model, UI changes (modmanager, plus steam integration), rules package overhaul to plugins and most of all, the updated CPM model.

There are limited people involved in any project, in this case it is a very small team of really talented engineers. They would be prioritising according to what the company thinks is the best direction...not what each customer thinks is the best direction. It's up to you in this case to work yourself around it, in this constantly updated way of doing things. Come back in a years time, when things will have surely changed.

I would like to see the trans model updated, and the sound...and the weather...and the graphics...and the server and race setup...and the AI...and once we've got through that, lets go back to physics again...
    I just have patience and a bit if trust in them, seeing as they have already got to where they are what, 20 years later?

6. FatCity

FatCity Registered

Ok, I've just jumped on this thread because I'm relaxing after a hard days gardening, and I'm half pissed, but it seems to me that everyone is asking for the wrong thing, as far as I can see RF2 has a "real" clutch with an option to use automatic clutch.
    The clutch can be adjusted to what ever curve you like, but it is still real, it disengages the transmission. It seems to me that what everyone wants is a non synchro gearbox or someone else to drive for them.
    Unless it is a full non synchro gearbox or crash box as us old fellers call them , it can be driven without using the clutch ( in real life I mean ), you just cant start it in gear. I notice that some people say they drive manual cars, how many times do you have to rev match on a gear change, non I suspect, that's because the synchros in a gearbox do that for you. What people seem to want is just the sound of a crunching gear change and a missed gear change option , the clutch has nothing to do with these.
    I'm a truck mechanic and have been so for 42 years if you count my 4 year apprenticeship, and have seen truck transmissions go from crash boxes to full synchro to semi auto and full automatic. Some even have auto clutch manual transmission where all you have to do is accelerate and when the truck gets to the relative speed it changes the manual transmission automatically.
    I'm sure there are mods out there, correct me if I'm wrong ( and I'm sure some one will ) but doesn't the Howston Sportscar miss gears if not changed correctly, not a clutch fault, a driver fault ( and not AMD or Nvidia drivers either ).

So, there ya have it, my words of profound wisdom for today !

Oh and by the way, in answer to the above quote, if you don't like it, don't do it, problem solved and ISI don't have to bring out an update for doing stupid things.:cool:

7. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

IMO, The thread title is incorrect. The clutch is not probably what would need to be better simulated for a more realistic simulation.

The clutch is a quite simple thing to simulate even with a script. It is the transmission of the car what is actually more complex to simulate.

If you want the Sim to check if the revs of the different teethed gears match and the interference between matching gears teeth you would have to simulate the whole linkage.

I am not sure if what is being asked is for a better script of the whole transmission. Which I would support.

Or if the transmission to be actually included in the real simulation interacting with engine and differential. I would not support it because the cost to benefit reasons.

As an analogy. The improvement in the FFB system from rF1 to rF2, simulating the steering linkage was justified IMO. I wouldn't do it for transmission because it is much more complex and adds lower benefit.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2016
  8. aguy0523

aguy0523 Registered

I would like something that prevents people from downshifting 4 gears all at once and using the rev limiter to brake into corners, which results in them running faster laps than everyone else.

9. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Yess!!!!

Gearboxes should break when treated badly :)

10. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

The thread title should have not been about the clutch only, but about the entire tranny- clutch, gearbox, diff- all of it. You can freely shift almost all the cars without the clutch at any RPM with no ramifications. It is what it is and we are stuck with it because ISI will not fix it. This thread has been here for 3 years, we all want a better manual tranny but we will not get it.

Modern semi-autos are very well modeled in this game. After spending some time in GT3 cars, it is excellent. But historic cars are not well modeled and any car that requires a clutch to shift is not simulated well. The only upside is that in some racing with the WCR60's F3 mod, in 1 hour races, I have seen some people using manual clutch but clutchless shifting, and blowing their engines. We traced it back to flat shifting. Although this should not be an engine failure per se, it still achieves the same result- your car will fail if you flat shift a manual. So that's something. I suppose.

So even though the tranny is not good, we can all appreciate that the other aspects of historic racing cars are fun and well done. Throwing a 60's formula car around and drifting is really great in rF2. But we are stuck with the tranny model we have now and if we want a proper tranny, AC is the way to go- but that's about all (physics-wise) that AC has over rF2 IMHO. I have read that iRacing has an excellent manual tranny model, but I have not tried it. So I have come to appreciate rF2 for what it is and when I race historics , I use the clutch + h-shifter because I want to even if those around me are not. I do it for me even if competition-wise it is a disadvantage that ISI will not address.

11. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Yes, me too, it's called "the engine blowing up"... LOL

12. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

I'm not getting too involved at all. Come back in a year? We have been asking for a realistic clutch/tranny/engine whatever for 6 years now, and nothing has been done to fix this issue. We were told a "new transmission model" was coming soon after the release of the howstons, and that was 3 years ago.

I get infuriated when I see people downshifting to 30,000rpm to cheat on braking and turn-in (yes, it IS cheating) and suffering no engine or transmission damage. You do that in AC or iRacing, and you are toast. It is an issue that needs to be fixed. Not saying that I'm not happy with what we've gotten so far, I am very much so."

As for the sychro/non synchro argument, I have NEVER driven a manual transmission that allows you to flat shift WITHOUT the clutch. rF2 does.

13. stonec

stonec Registered

There has been some progress, for example with AC Cobra you can select between Normal and Revmatch gearbox in the upgrades. With Revmatch you can't shift without lifting the throttle.

I suspect for a new transmission model, ISI would need to release a new version of each of their 30 something cars, just like with CPM. So even if they implemented new gearbox code today, it might take years before all cars get updated with it, the way that ISI releases cars.

I've driven many real cars where you can upshift without engaging clutch. Granted it does wear the gearbox but it works for most cars at least on the lower gears. In the 70's and 80's it was common technique used by F1 drivers in order to save time between shifts, they basically only used clutch for downshifts.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2016