Please sign my petition for ISI to include a realistic clutch option in rFactor 2

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Guy Moulton, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

No, many won't use the real clutch option- just like most won't use rain. Look online- 99% rain-free, but it hasn't stopped ISI from including rain has it? There are those of us who WILL use this real clutch option. Some sim racers like it as difficult (REAL) are possible so they forgo auto anything and choose to do it themselves and sacrifice some speed. I'm looking forward to a retro league, with weather and a real clutch. Sometimes I go for all speed and use the paddle shifters and auto clutch but sometimes I don't- choice is good.

Right now I run a league series which uses rain & long format (up to 3 hours) races which by convention should be unpopular but once you turn people on to this sort of different racing they like it. the real clutch option may turn out to be more popular than you think- especially since the very first mod ISI released with rF2 was 1960's WCR! By adding the option of the real clutch, those who want to keep the old way can and those who want to move on to a more realistic experience can. As for myself, driving a 1960's Formula car with auto clutch and paddle shifters takes out of the moment and degrades the over-all experience of the vehicle.

As for Change.org... I'm sure the "vast" server resources I've "wasted" on this one petition won't break them. They will be OK and move on. :rolleyes:

2. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

Here in Sweden we all need to learn "feathering the clutch" (if thats the correct term in english) is part of the education when driving up. Atleast I did it, hmm, not sure if it was on the test, but I'm pretty sure everybody needs to learn this under training. I did not take drivers lessons though, I did all schooling privately and took two small drivers lessons to see if I had any major flaws in my driving. Anyway, everybody in sweden more or less drives manually and we almost all know how to do this, except som girls, and metrosexual men maybe :) But we others who likes driving cars fo sure do! ;)

Tim, can you please change the Title on Youtube thread btw, replace it with "Internet" instead of Youtube. KthxsBYE!

3. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

I agree, while not too many will use the full clutch option regularly, it'll be a lot of fun to test out and play with at the very least. I imagine I will stick to it and try to use it correctly, though I doubt I'll be very successful. :p I don't mean to say I don't drive manual in real life, but I've never raced in real life, and I imagine a racing clutch would behave quite differently than that of a normal civilian car. I play sim racers to be challenged though, so that I think, is just perfect.

On the note of Change.org... I don't think people are talking about the resources of the site that this petition is using up, but rather, it seems kind of strange and perhaps disrespectful to put a petition for a feature in a game on a site dedicated to serious problems in the world.

4. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Use the parking brake :)

5. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

Here in the northern of Spain where nothing is flat you learn to do it like real men :p, no feathering, no parking brake, just release right foot from the brake so quick and head it directly to the throttle and at the same time left foot start "managing" the clutch that the car won't move at all backwards.

6. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

And when parking brake is not good enough for a steep hill? You rotate tires and put 1st gear in. And when you need to drive away from there, then what?

Is a good skill to have learned. My friend always use the parking brake in even the smallest hill, I don't consider him a man of cars...

Even though he owns BMW Z3 and driven since he was 18 (30 plus now), he also is a bad driver and have no real sense of having right gear in... sooo yeah, you could continue using parking brake and ... well, be... bad at.. cars ... *cough*chough*

I stick with my car/manskills! (macho macho maaan, I wanna beeee aaa maaaaaachoooooo maaaaAAn!)

7. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

Well, my car is not moving backwars either, it sounds like your describing same method/technique here, only you just do it fast enough to not stand still with the clutch in a uphill.

I do exactly the same, just drive away quickliy just as you describe it. But at least I've done the training for standing still in a hill and can do it if needed to in a tight parking situation and so on. Sometimes you cant just drive away real easy without som carhandling back and forth in steep hills :)

8. kaptainkremmen

I'd fix my parking brake :)

9. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

Don't you have any steep hills? Parking Brakes are not always in good condition, especially here in sweden, we have a real old car park thru out the country. :)

10. O11

O11 Registered

That's good news.

11. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

If you hold the car in place on a hill with the clutch it'll burn up your clutch pretty quick. A big truck with a huge clutch can do this all day long with no problems. WOMEN use the the handbrake LOL. MEN roll off the brake like they are blipping the gas and ease off the clutch at the perfect rate and never roll back. It's an art ;-)

12. kaptainkremmen

Allow me , if you will, to dissect your post a little :)

I said Parking brake, not clutch.
    Very few clutches could do it all day with no problems
    I wish they would :)

It's just driving. Most of it is simple repetition.:eek:

Originally Posted by Moe Faster
    I've had some very scarey moments learning how to do this.

Use the Parking Brake....until it's not scary :). The technique is exactly the same as the 'Manly, switch pedals and go!..you just have the safety of the parking brake for that fraction of time you are taking up the drive after moving from the brake pedal.

In my country learner drivers are taught to use the 'handbrake' for 'hill starts' because it's safer. There is a train of thought that goes 'if it's safer for learners then it's safer for everyone' and thus all drivers are expected to use the Parking brake on hills or simply when waiting at a junction. Of course many don't, some ride the clutch and some use the foot brake. We are also taught not to cross our hands over on the wheel but again most people ignore it after they have passed their test.

13. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

he he, the way you say it sounds like you dont have IRL experience in driving.

You should ALWAYS use handbrake, or else you are endangering other drivers safety.
    Even when you are not going up a steep hill, you should ALWAYS have handbrake at hand, or else you are asking for trouble.
    Many times you can use clutch (if you are experienced enough), but if things go wrong, your hand MUST instictivelly go to handbrake.

Didnt your driving instructors tought you this? They should...

14. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

Here is an example of what I would like to see possible with Clutch Response Curve adjustments.
    If this was possible, clutch would feel more like a real clutch when using it.
    Note, this is but an example, made quickly with Windows Paint. Actual curve line would need more points to fine tune it.

15. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

It seems every other car I've owned has been a stick. Right now I'm stuck with a slush box (yuck) again. But I've never used my handbrake for anything other than parking and never had an accident. Here in Florida it is not an issue (flat as a board- the entire state) but in Maine there are hills everywhere and that's where I learned how to drive. I have plenty of RL experience, just I know how to properly use a clutch.

In gmotor sims, you can use the clutch to hold yourself on a hill like in a real car- but unlike a real car, you won't burn up the clutch.

16. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I was coming down an over pass in the winter when the master cylinder went tits up in an old ford. Busy intersection ahead and of course my lights are red. I had to use the parking brake ABS style. :p

17. Axeslayer

Axeslayer Registered

I always use the handbrake to stop , but that normal for a motorbike .:D

18. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

19. spider19462000

spider19462000 Registered

20. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

I could understand almost all stereotypes in this video, unless the leather Fred Mercury.