Skip Barber Going Faster

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Butch Nackley, Dec 29, 2012.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

And it's spotting with rain, so he's taking it easy.

2. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Double clutching is the use of the clutch to get the car out of gear and then again to put the car back into gear. This operation can be done either going up in gears or down in gears. You would typically use double clutch techniques for transmissions that didn't have syncronizers for the gears which would match the gear speeds rapidly without letting go of the clutch.

In operation for downshifts you would get off the throttle, press in the clutch and take the transmission out of gear. You would then Press in the clutch, blip the throttle and then move the shifter to put the car into the next lower gear. Obviously this technique would require a bit of practice to get the timing down to where you are making your shifts fast.

3. liebestod

liebestod Registered

This is why motor racing is one of the most exciting things that exists. UNBELIEVABLE.

4. Novis

Novis Registered

Just a few more lines on the above topic…

As Spinelli said is was the lack of EBS - Engine Braking Systems that Hamilton complained about. These systems could automatically adjust the amount of fuel so the engine braking was always automatically as effective as possible without the risk of locking the rear wheels.

Engines usually inject a small amount of fuel into the cylinders even at off-throttle situations like braking. In an engine with fuel injection the mapping determines the amount of fuel injected in different situations. Different maps can give more or less engine braking. Changing the engine map is still allowed in F1 but EBS is not so it is still possible to adjust the amount of engine braking in a Formula One car. Not just on the fly or dynamically.

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Nothing compares, I lost all interest in just about every other sport/activity/game/form of entertainment in life, after i got into real life racing. Only really good sex can compare, but sex never made me loose interest in all other sports/activites, racing did, nothing compares to racing for me, that can be dangerous though, like a drug, once you stop you are susceptible to some serious withdrawals, not kidding around.

Simracing is the only thing that helps, this is why im so anal about physics, its a replacement of something I used to do in real life, not just some "fun and pretty realistic" game like many so called "sims" are.

I honestly understand (or atleast I think I understand) what Senna meant when he said he found/finds God through racing. It is so amazing, it is almost spiritual, regardless of your beliefs.

;). I like how it can be adjusted in RF as well. You know whats weird though, many series have the adjustable in-car anti roll bars (mechanically adjustable) yet pretty much no sim (maybe iracing??) has this implemented yet. Its nothing new either, I remember them even mentioning it in some old indy/champ car/CART video many years back. Aussie v8's also use it, and im sure many series do. Im not sure on the details, like how far the adjustments go and such, but ya, weird.

ARB make a big difference too, so its weird how it doesnt seem to get too talked about on tv. They mention it quickly here and there on the aussie v8 races, but thats all i ever hear about it.

There are many many things in racing that make big differences, that are barley mentioned/talked about. EBS, was almost never ever talked about, until it was removed. In-car adjustable ARB are barley talked about. In-car adjustable electronic diff settings are barley talked about (just think how much of a massive difference differential preload, and especially power and coast lock make). You have to go to geeky technical forums to read about it, they have so little exposure on tv.

All you ever hear on tv is, so and so put a little less wing on, so and so ran the car a little softer. LOL so vague.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. Novis

Novis Registered

Indycar Racing was the first game I think that had it... and RF2 has it too! At least it had keyboard mappings for driver changable ARB the last time I looked at it. :)

I think that most advanced electronic engine/transmission options are simply to advanced for the majority of people. Another issue may be that they are as secret as advanced so it is not much known about them. The third and probably the main cause is that most reporters don't know they exist. However, sims have the advantage that much knowledge is not needed about the inner workings of the system to make it work in a simulation. It is funny that the most fundamental setting in racing is still the last simracers tend to grasp - the suspension.

7. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Even pro drivers don't concentrate on learning suspension setups, they rely on their engineers or mechanics to take care of that sort of thing. It does help if the driver has a clue about suspensions, but isn't required in order to make the car balanced and fast for just about any driver.

8. Novis

Novis Registered

250cc bikes are so slow and safe. :)

9. Novis

Novis Registered

Hmm, kind of but simracers usually don't have a stab of engineers around them. But you're right, simracers rather nag about getting the setup served on a silver plate than try to learn how to make one themself. :)

10. Minibull

Minibull Member

I uh...I hope you are taking the piss mate...if not, you have no clue what you are on about ;)

11. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Very informative vid.

Would love to have a virtual skid pad to learn and practice the car handling techniques demonstated in the video. Does one exist? Is there a developer out there who would be willing to produce one? It seems like it would be fairly simple to do. Doesn't need to be fancy.

12. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Heck, would be really cool to have one integrated into the already existing one at LRP (as seen in that video - at least i think that skid pad was at LRP). :p

Any chance you could kindly ask the LRP creator for us please Tim?

13. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

I remember a really short interview with what I think was Jaques Villeneuve when he drove F1. He was asked where some of the aerodynamic bells and whistles were for, and he said: Don't ask me, I'm not an engineer...

Anyway, he probably knows his stuff but drivers concentrate on driving, engineers on engineering...

However, I love to fiddle with my setup ;)

14. scepak

scepak Registered

+1 this

For me skid pad was useful to learn to catch the slides very quickly which is important when driving Skippy.

15. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

Look in back of the driving school , there is a skid pad there

16. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

17. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Holy Cow!...So there is, lol. Thanks

18. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

What/where is driving school?

19. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

The whole of Lime Rock Park, lol.

look at this map to figure your way to the skid pad. :p

[​IMG]

20. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Well how bout that! Cool!

Then there is also the one by Johannes Rojola that CdnRacer shows the link to. How do I get that one working in rF2?