Frustrated. How to install mods?????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aidylad, Dec 27, 2012.

1. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Haha... Don't envy you right now!

But seriously, This was supposed to be easy. Idiot proof. All the advice you could get and it was wrong! The funny thing is you all have this stuff running and you completely forgot the basics.

This want run without that and that want run without this and you need it all to run this for that and you still can't use this with that because you need this. You can make this but if you do you can't use it because no one else has it so now you either wait till someone else makes what you want and you can get it and then you can acually start having some fun, Well atleast till the next time you want to go there with this that is. Then it all starts again!!!

Don't you love this ModID crap??It's fan bl00die tastic!!

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

If you had GTR or GTL or rF for 12 months then decided to go online, what ? :)

You would have mismatches, wrong version cars, missing aiw, wrong version tracks.

With rF2 you download all content in 2 torrents as I already said, what could be easier.

Rather with any sim I mentioned you would be trawling endless sites for content and fixes.

The only difference is one little extra download for any rooms you want to run.
    So if you are running any rooms that have not been updated with latest tracks don't worry.
    Install last 2 versions of the tracks in question till they are updated, then drop the old one out.

It is no different to what you did in other sims .......but you could not run 2 versions of a circuit in those, could you.

By Gold all this will be forgotten.......

Sounds like a parrot I do. lopl

It is no use comparing pCARS my remark was flippant.
    It would be no different if it had mods you would have to download and install them manually same as rF2.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2012
  3. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

no i wouldnt..because im like the majority of sim racers and run in an organised league ...mismatches dont happen

4. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

So you have already installed everything you need to run in your organised league...I don't understand what is the problem then?

5. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

+1
    Not even for new comers for that matter. They get all the stuff they need from the site/s they join. Support and help.

This mismatch thing is just a over used excuse to justify a system with so many restrictions it's pathetic!

6. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

for 1 reason...the mod system is causing pseudo mismatches because we cant race all our installed content (that are the same versions due to our organised league) ...stopping us from having "friendly" races at the drop of a hat...there are heaps more reasons...but go read the 32+ pages of other threads of people saying how poor this system is and then maybe you will understand the problem

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

You are missing my point.

The "average" person had any of those for 12 months or brought it after 12 months with no online would have mismatches.

I ran open F1C GTR rooms long enough to know that, you spent 1/2 your time in MSN sending aiw or something.

Not everyone wants to join a league, in that situation you searched around a number sites and threads till you had everything you needed, for sure the more you on-lined the easier it got.

For mine though that was no easier then using get mod or downloading the rfm. :confused:

Difference is with a rfm mod all being equal you know you are going to get to room with no issues first time every time otherwise you could not have installed it in the first place hey. ?

They are taking the guess work out for your average Joe.

When gold rookies join they will download 2 ( more by then hopefully ) torrents install the lot then hit the get mod button and I am guessing 9 times out of 10 it will work, skins too.

My best GPL archive has all mods and best 300 circuits in 50 folders by country, all updates, tools and addons.
    It is 4GB why they do not make a torrent archived into nice folders I have no idea. :)

8. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Wasn't this thread started by this bloke? To add to this, the answers he got are from well know names around this forum who should have know better then the advice they did give.

So much for guess work. I guess it still works.

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

And how many threads over the years is there in GTR GTL rF forums about where to extract archives. hehehe

He simply went about it the wrong way, could have done a similar thing in any sim.

10. Tripp

Tripp Registered

At last rFactor2 Content Inventory @ dec 28 2012 14:13:12 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

All mods and components verified.

I did start with build 314 then added all mods and tracks in packages about 8 GB off files when that was done i open up Core folder start ModMgr and from there install mods and tracks when all was verify i start the game throu launcher some updates was not done and also some tracks seems not be installed so back to ModMgr and unistall everyting tracks and mods restart at single player and then install and update all mods and update in the game after that open up ModMgr and install every track close everything game and ModMgr and start up rfactor 2 again but now as admin and viola it worked so much trouble i got after 6 reinstalls and messing around this seems to work at last but why shall it be so much problems and why not have cars and tracks separated why must a mod come with a track ?

and one thing when add new things to packages it can take many minutes until it shows in ModMgr one thing between v 1.07 and 1.34 is that all settings max i had with 1.07 16 fps with build 1.34 100 fps so something has been better in the newer version

11. spider19462000

spider19462000 Registered

why not have cars and tracks separated why must a mod come with a track ?.

Tim has already said that all cars and tracks will be able to be downloaded separately when we get to gold.:)

12. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Thats changes nothing, just repack of content as components. Nothing to do with system to bind cars and tracks.

13. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

Pickup racing will always be a pain regardless of the system being used. Personally, I don't see the current system in rf2 as an improvement. I can see it being a good thing if you could just grab what you need through the multiplayer UI, which would help casual racers who don't want to join a league. Other than that, I see no real advantage to the system.

To be fair to ISI, despite my feelings, the current system isn't enough of a deal breaker for me, nor should it be for anyone. It's relatively new to what we have been used to for all these years, and will take time for everyone to get used to it.

14. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

I don't go online any more The interest isn't there. When I did it wasn't in a league as such.
    The thing we all should remember is these servers are 99% league run and/or owned. A pick up race is there just because they allow it to be so. The others are some guy who sets up his PC as a server for his mates and anyone to join for a bit of fun.

League server, When I wanted to race I know what cars I wanted to race and I knew that any league running those cars are going to run track that are applicable. Even if they used track that weren't it didn't matter. The point is in this situation I alined myself with a few of these league and ran with them on the nights or days they have their servers up for practice and just fun races. I didn't get involve with the league races and stayed off the server when they were being run.
    All I needed to do was keep up to what they as a league was running next and set myself up for it. No harm, no fowl.

The 1% guy who put a server up from home has done so for a bunch of mates to join and have some fun. If you can't join that server then so be it.

rF1 wasn't hard to get a race with if you used your brain.

rF1 mismatch are people not doing that and then blaming the game.

rF2,s system is not a no brainer either, This is being shown over and over again were people are having trouble understanding it. Having to as DD suggests "just get it ALL" It's only two torrent! Yeah just two at a total of what was it I saw? 4+GBs! And that's just now when we're just getting tracks. Not cars. Well not much in the way of.

How many leagues change the current mods in rF1 to better suit their leagues purposes? Most!

How many leagues are going to still do that in rF2? Most!

This is content changes "not" just some text. Some I've heard have changed banner textures in tracks to have their leagues and/or teams logos on the track walls.

If you are so blind to think mismatch's are going to be a thing of the passed you'd be very wrong. If you think your going to download 3, 4, 5 hundred MB or it could even run into GBs every time you want to join a pick up race on one of these servers you'd be wrong. If you did, It wouldn't be long before leagues stopped making the downloads available just for drop ins.

Using mismatch as a excuse for this system it just plain faults.
    Every server owned by a league will have a different ModID, Different VMob, Different content. Each league will have their Vmod setup for all the tracks they intend to run for any one given season. Ok your saying no they want! Ok maybe at first but the guy doing it and distributing it each time will pretty soon get sick of half the field asking why they can't join the servers any more. Wrong content, wrong ModID. Just get it off the server! sure, I can see that happening all night when your supposed to be on the grid.

Right now I have the latest build and all ISI content. Without getting extra content and/or VMods I can't join well over half the servers currently running. Even though I have the current track and car set on that server! So if this isn't a mismatch, What is? The difference is I can see on the server list that I can't join.
    Now you say, ok just get the VMod and you can join. Well not really because this VMOd is written up to have three tracks that are not apart of the ISI content. mmm ok get the tracks! No brainer really. 500MB each, 1.5 GB download. mmm ok see you tomorrow maybe.

That's enough for now but it doesn't end there by any mean. All you need do is read through this forum to see that. And remember, This is only ISI content + a few tracks.

Keep it real,

15. Diavolo

Diavolo Registered

in rf1 it's called "missmatch"
    in rf2 it's called "can't join" (and i get already much more of this than i ever get missmatches in many years of rf1)

Difference?

in rf2 you need a lot more content to download and intall to troubleshoot, even if you never will use it

That's progress for some people:rolleyes:

16. Cellux

Cellux Registered

Considering modding is the heart and soul of RF, I don't understand why this system hasn't been fixed yet after a year of beta tester complaints. Any decent developer could design a proper, convenient mod/distribution/dependency management concept in an hour. It doesn't even involve reinventing the wheel, there are so many existing systems that could be taken as a starting point.

I'm really worried that the current system will be in gold.

17. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2012