rF2 Performance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Favio, Dec 27, 2012.

1. ozleem

ozleem Registered

It for you is most definite your GPU Nikos, I once had the Zotec VGA 9800gt same card as you, You have a better cpu then mine intel core 2 3.0,

With the 9800gt on my pc i'd have to run almost everything med
    With the gtx 460 on my pc Everything is on high or ultra depends on game (rf2) max smooth no stutters

Suggestion : New GPU card my friend, I got the gtx 280 after the 9800gt and that was a good upgrade ...for awhile then yeah your a bit behind m8 then the upgrade after the gtx 280 I got the gtx 460, best bang for buck at the time maybe even right now but there is better out there I'd love me some nice gtx 690 but maybe next year as that's overkill tbo, so I'll sit on my gtx 460 till then cheers hope this helps. a good place to keep up to date with releases and drivers http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus

1 person likes this.
  2. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

yeah, I heard this from my pc guru guy, I tried not to believe him cause he asks for money, thanks :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

I got an i7 920 as well along with 6GB of RAM. But I do have a GTX285 (all compoents are almost 4 years old now, bought them all in January 2009). When running Singleplayer with no AI I can set everything to max except Anti-Aliasing and VSync @1680x1050x120Hz (I never use VSync btw). I hover around 40-50 FPS in the Skip Barber at Lime Rock with those settings.

Online though, I need to reduce all settings to medium and disable fancy stuff like environment reflections etc. to get those 40-50 FPS. But with these medium settings, rF2 looks much worse than rF1 on max settings though (and runs much worse). :p

4. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

what I miss most is these shiny reflections, racing cars are pollished to perfection, aerodynamics I guess, even at 60s.

5. taufikp

taufikp Registered

If your GTX285 is OC friendly, try to overclock its core. Your card is way better than my old HD5770 (overclock friendly though). It also already has 512-bit wide data bus, so IMHO, it's time to push the core speed to gain some FPS. :)

6. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

yes Nikos, Almost everything now is graphic card power. I have an old quad-core machine, just 2GB RAM but I updated to a Nvidia GTX 550Ti and rfactor2 now runs pretty smooth (except for some small exceptions)

7. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I think the big hope here to many has to be getting the SLI and Crossfire to do a better job. I presume that means getting Nvidia and ATI involved at or near 'gold' time. I give my performance a grade of about B- right now with only one GTX560 card. I have a second one just waiting for that imagined day when SLI provides some quantum leap in FPS.

Tim, is my assumption correct? Will you comment on the interaction if any between ISI and the card manufacturers regarding SLI?

8. Kimi450

Kimi450 Registered

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit,
    Gigabyte GA 880GM USB3 motherboard,
    AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor,
    8.20 GB of RAM,
    ATI Radeon HD 6770 MSI MD 1 GB,
    170 GB ( Windows 7 ) + 2TB + 1 TB + 400 GB ( Personal files )

On this pc i get 15-30 fps on full settings at lime rock with skip barber ( 40 when all not onscreen ). My card is not that good, mistake while buying :(

9. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

Wait, what? My GTX285 was a competitor against those HD4870 series cards back then. I don't think it can keep up with the newer 5000 series cards from AMD since those are a newer generation, even though it's a factory OC'd card as well, a XFX GTX285 XXX (what a crap name). Except for the case that rF2 isn't very optimized for AMD cards, that is.

But overclocking it even more isnt an option. I probably will upgrade my whole PC once rF2 goes gold. I mean, it's a 4 years old system...

10. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Well from benchmarks collected by HWcompare.com, the GTX285 in fact 24% faster than HD5770! :)

Another thing that give AMD cards a little bad show is its spikey performance (despite their high FPS capability) which cause micro stutters. TechReport.com new game benchmarking method shows this. Actually this spike exists in both AMD and NVidia cards. However in NVidia cards the spikes are not as brutal as AMD cards, giving you smoother animation illusion.

11. SCampbell

SCampbell Registered

I get about 40 percent better performance running Crossfire in Rf1. The odd part is that I only see a 5 or 10 percent difference running Crossfire.

I'm on an Phenom II x6 3.0ghz

with 4GB DDR3, 2 ATI 6870 cards

12. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

I got same two cards, 16gb ddr3 and same problems with SLI. Furthermore, with the last build I can't even play with SLI, I got all kind of white flashes over screen. I need to do a whole ritual before playing the game, need to turn off one GPU card, setup some color corrections in ATI CP, run few programs so I could have nice 60 fps in game with only occasional stutters and that's the part that is driving me away from RF2.

13. Revan

Revan Registered

Maybe you should deinstall ATI CP when you want to use SLI? ;)

14. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

What do you mean, remove Catalyst Control Panel? What to use instead for gfx settings?

15. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

That's confusing me as I get a 75%-85% increase with crossfire?

Two hd6950, i5 2500k at 4.8ghz and 8gb ddr3
    Using 12.11 beta 8 drivers

16. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Well i think those are VERY bad news, i remember to read this before buying the game:

RECOMMENDED (over above minimums):
    CPU: 3.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or 3.0 GHz AMD Athlon II x2 or better
    Memory: 4 GB+
    Video Card: nVidia 250 GTS or ATI/AMD 4870 or better
    Video Memory: 512MB+
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista 64bit, Windows 7 64bit
    Storage: 4 GB+Notes:
    1 – 2008 C++ Runtimes SP1 required (included with installer).
    2 – rFactor 2 executable is 32bit. 64bit OS recommended above to allow more than 4GB RAM.

I hope those will be the settings at the gold version of the game, i presume with that HW configuration you'll be able to play the game with no problems at all and all graphics maxed out. I understand this is a BETA but if i knew the game will need much more PC requirements than those recommended i would have not bought it like i did! If you had "recommended Video Card for smooth gameplay with 20 AI cars" a NVIDIA GTX 680 i would have waited for 2015 or 2016...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2012
  17. MJP

MJP Registered

Since when did published 'Recommended' specs for any game mean 'with all graphic options maxed out'?

18. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Loool, your answer almost don't deserve a word... anyway, and as you're saying, there should be "OPTIMISTIC" or "PERFECT" system requirements or there shouldn't be any requirements at all above the minimum is that? All games work at max settings with recommended requirements or better so i don't know what you're talking about...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2012
  19. coops

coops Banned

IMHO more memory buffer the better 2gig min 1 screen, 3 or 4 gig min for 3 screens. cpu i5 2500k is big enough.

20. Favio

Favio Registered

Someone who somehow understood my point of view.
    I always had praise for RF2, but as a client consumer of products of ISI, I have a criticism, I think the performance should be better, I have an average pc and I would like the software to be more stable, even when not using the graphics to maximum. Many people with better pc's also have or had stability problems and FPS.
    Just for a reason I opened this thread to ask whether to continue working on the performance of the simulator, it was just a simple question, did not get the answer I would have liked, even so I hope they put a little more attention in this matter, if possible.