rF2 Performance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Favio, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Favio

Favio Registered

Hi Tim, I have a noob question for you. I wanted to know if my pc will be able to run at 60 frames constant RF2 when release gold. I am not asking if the graphics will improve (they look nice right now), only if I will be able to run it with the graphics options to maximum without sttutering, lag, tweaking shadows or any of those graphic problems!, I'm still can not use Env Ref, HDR or AA if I want to have smoothness image.
    I'm really interest in performance, I think racing simulators should be on 60 frames to give us the full immersion.

This is my pc, mid-high I think :p

AMD Phenom(II) x4 965 3,40 Ghz Black Edition
    -8GB DD3
    -HD Radeon 6870 Vapor-X 1GB GDDR5
    -Windows 7 64 bits

2. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

Buy the beta and test it. If you are not satisfied with the results you can request a refund (you have a looong 2 months time to test it before your refund eligibility expires).

3. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Well, Favio already has beta, for a long time I believe..

4. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

Ah ok, then I would say: it will run close to how it is running now (yes there will probably be some improvements but I would be surprised if it was more than a few percent difference...in other words don't hold your breath).

5. Favio

Favio Registered

Hi guys, hopefully the beta improves performance compared to when finished, I think it's one of the problems with the simulator.
    I hope that some of the users perform an analysis when we are in January and the beta has served one year, comparing the first with the latest build.
    I'm pretty patient with updates, but if I have one criticism it is that I think are a little slow with the development (of course I am no expert, nor how many employees have ISI), but it seems that they have a long way to go ...
    I hope you are not correct Abriel Nei! :), Perhaps Tim or any member of the team can say something about it!.
    RF2 is definitely a great product, but it has an Achilles heel: p

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I can't guarantee that, and I certainly can't guarantee a constant framerate of a particular level, and neither can any developer. Maybe if you let me install Windows for you, and decide what programs you install and have running... ;)

7. Mauricio Leiva

Mauricio Leiva Registered

Tim... you let me thinking...
    Have you good tips to our OS to get better performance in rfactor2?

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I think Windows 7 64bit is considered the best OS for the job right now. The main thing to be aware of is background programs and any configuration options that limit the system, such as letting Windows manage the swap file or having one too small.

9. Favio

Favio Registered

Of course not, I ask no guarantees!!, You can not give certainty about this, but I wonder if the software will improve more in terms of FPS, I think it's a question we have several users ...

Tim would be a pleasure for me if you want to give maintenance to my PC ... :D

10. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

With this system i believe no. You will must upgrade, especially graphic department and i believe cpu to.

This is my rig(i5 3570k, 8gb, radeon hd 6950 2gb, samsung ssd 830) and even this is not enough for situation that you wish. Still to many times FPS drop under 60-50 and in start of the race i have from 26 frames above with around 15 cars(almost maximum settings and 8xAA, 16xAF). But the problem with this game i believe is somewhere else. Even with 60 frames above game don't feel smooth at all, at least with high settings. Second to that, If you choose to upgrade go for Nvidia side. In average people report better results with this game.

11. Favio

Favio Registered

Oh, that's bad news ... buy this pc a little over a year, I do not expect to update it for a while, also in my country we have currently import problems and you cant get the latest hardware for sale.
    I'll have to keep waiting the next updates and see if something about the performance improvement.
    It's weird what happens to rFactor 2, graphically not as spectacular as other current titles, but their performance is lower.
    It's bad graphic engine optimization?, Or the physics engine is so complex that consumes a lot of hardware?, or my pc is a s***??? :confused:

Well, my hopes of putting the maximum graphics are dead now :p

12. MJP

MJP Registered

When those components were released it might of been 2+ years (3+ for cpu) ago.

The game hasn't been released yet, how many other games do you have that were released from lets say this year that you can run on max settings at a constant 60fps?

13. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

With that system Favio I think you can't run constant 60 FPS with all details on maximum. You will need to compromise a bit by lowering the details. I have two HD6870 in SLI and I can manage to run 60 with max details, but when I switch of one GPU, it goes around 40.

14. Favio

Favio Registered

They are older of course, I don't live in USA or UK ... That was the best I could buy, maybe you can give me a few euros left over ... :)

Not all game from this year, but, Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Deus Ex:human revolution, Dishonored, Mass effect 3... all max settings, except AA, I usually use off, or sometimes 2x ... I'm not a game developer, nor an expert in computers, but it seems weird that you can not get better results in RF2 ...

15. spider19462000

spider19462000 Registered

It does help to turn off mirrors,this gives me an extra 15 to 20 fraps.

16. Favio

Favio Registered

Right now I know that I cant put it all to max... my question is about gold release.

Now i'm getting good performance all max except env ref off, hdr off, shadows high, shadow blur fast, FXAA 1, and visible vehicles 8.
    But like every gamer I want a little more if is possible... maybe able to use env ref and hdr! ...

17. Max

Max Registered

Considering I can have the sim run anywhere from 200 frames a second, to as someone said, under 40 with full A.I grid, I would say it is rather great at getting the sim at playable frames for most everyone. I for instance can get a full grid of AI running, depending on the track and settings, @ most any FPS I want :) My system is not all that much better, well the CPU is way better, but my vid card and RAM are close... I was thinking about getting a new video card (3 years old now I think) but the sim runs fine with the current setting all on max... (not sure if this post fits here, I started rambling, lol)

CPU: Intel i5 2600k @ 4.6GHz
    Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V
    Memory: 8GB DDR3
    Video: ATI 6950 2GB GDDR5 Memory

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2012
  18. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Most important part currently is CPU and system memory speed.

Graphics card is secondary.

However, no one can guarantee anything. With modding tools being pretty much low level, a lot depends on how modder does his work. And that in turn depends on his knowledge of graphics cards, which typically is a programmer's domain, not 3D artist's domain.

All the more reason not to ask ISI (or anyone else) if rFactor2 will always run at steady 60 FPS on certain hardware.

I've seen some of the finest tracks for rF1 and rF2 starving my graphics card, while overkilling my CPU.
    It's just the way it is right now.

Changing it would require far mor advanced modding tools that most games have. Top gaming studios often put a lot of work in their own tools and editors, that ensure content is prepared optimally for their game engine.

With tools like these 3D Studio plugins by ISI, you don't have that and optimizations must be done manually by modder.

19. Spadge

Spadge Registered

When are you next in Blighty? I'll let you do that and even make you a proper cuppa!

20. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I was told otherwise.
    My specs are i7-920, 6 G RAM, nvidia 9800gt and I cant get near full graphics at all.
    Any sudgestions welcome.