GP79 conversion with permission

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Arnao, Dec 27, 2012.

1. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Nav if you can solve the black screens please do it and offer it here, all will appreciate it.

2. Navigator

Navigator Registered

It's to long ago and I can't remember.....so a few questions first:

- It was only the Tyrell?
    - It started after the upgrade from the cockpit? (Why wasn't the old cockpit put back than?)
    - Is it at all tracks or is there some difference to it?

I reinstalled the mod just now but I can't see or remember what I did........starting to think it was more of a fluke than wisdom ;)
    So I will work on it, but I can't promise a nice solution right away, sorry.

To Arnao; do you give me permission to look into this and (hopefully) fix it in order to upload it here?
    Next question; after that, are you going to work further on this mod or do you give me permission to work on it and upload it here?

Cheers, Wim.

3. HuntTheShunt

HuntTheShunt Registered

Now that is constructive progress :)

4. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

The biggest problem was with the Tyrell, don't remember if it was so much with the other cars. Most of the flashing problem was when player detail was on high or above. Wish I could remember what the rF2 build number was at end of testing. Seems it was problem with shadows and shaders. I know Zonder worked tirelessly. I have no way of knowing who all the testers were, but lots of PM's were exchanged.

I've looked for all the test builds, but I guess I deleted them over time.

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Is the flashing of the cockpit of 1 single car (Tyrell) really the reason why this mod - one of the greatest and popular rF1 mods, ever - was stopped being worked on? Surely there must have been more to the story than just some graphical cockpit issues of 1 single car...

6. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks Jim!
    I have an old build and I think that one without the problem; I will look into that.

Spinelli; trying to find that out......I think it's strange too.
    Put the old cockpit in and it's okay? I don't know, hoping for information here.

7. Mauro

Mauro Registered

very good christmas news if someone restart to work on 1979 mod for rF2!

thank Navigator!
    (and Arnao, and all people worked on the project)

8. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Well......still need permission and more info ;)

9. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

The reason imho the project stopped was that needed work on updating the cockpits by Zonder stopped, I guess he was frustrated by the flashing?
    Anyway, without fresh cockpits mod looks terribly outdated.

10. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hmm.....problem.......

"without fresh cockpits mod looks terribly outdated"

I meant to do the fix (if I'm still able to) and work on the physics and such; "painting" is REALLY not my thing. I mess up to make just a dot.
    So if that is still needed.......this mod ain't gonna be finished.

I wanted to work on the HDV, engine and so on as I saw there was still work to do.

Probably not the best idea to pick it up if there are things to be done that I can't do.

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I agree with the looking outdated part. The cockpit is the most important part of a car's graphics in my opinion since it's what we spend most of our time seeing while playing. I can therefore see why that could be the cause of so much frustration. Excuse my ignorance as I know nothing about graphics modelling, but what makes these cars different to so many other cars in rF2 with regards to being able to have nice cockpits?
    Physics and then FFB are obviously the most important part of driving a car, I really, really hope this can be done.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2014
  12. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I'm pretty sure the cockpit for the Ferrari was from scratch by Zonder. I'm not sure but maybe just bringing the texture components up to date might be the fix. The last time I was serious about driving the mod (two or three builds ago) I don't think I had any problems with it.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Tapatalk

13. HuntTheShunt

HuntTheShunt Registered

If a project is stalled and someone makes an offer to sort one section out you should gladly accept the work they intend to do.

Once one problem is solved it will create interest in the mod again and someone else my be inspired to do other work.

Many people who love to race do not care about graphic perfection; they do not tolerate bugs though.

14. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Wim, maybe you can find help from someone else to clean up the cockpits and other visual. If you could just fix the black screen, that's more than enough and everything else is just a bonus.

There is another graphic bug with all cars.. Parts of opponent cars will dissappear sometimes (often when you are close to them) and then reappear again. When it disappears it looks like the driver is sitting on the ground while driving. This happens always when driving the Ferrari and using the swingman cam too, for example.

15. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Crap......all of the sudden, without doing something, I don't get the black screen anymore :(
    I did make some changes, had the screen after that again, so I did not fix it. In the car, I was trying out all seat positions and after putting it back in the same place (default pov, 100/10 or -100, see what's normal) I don't get it back.......not after restart or anything.

So at this moment, I can't reproduce the bug. Have to dive in that one first.

But; anyone who has this mod installed, could you try and see if this happens at your machine too? Just go to all the values, low, high, front and back.

Busy with it, but running into problems as you see.
    I don't want to share it at this moment to try it out as I don't have permission yet.

I had a brief consult with Arnao, but he had a very good reason to postpone the dialog. I have to wait for it and I will; not going to rush that.

16. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Which car? Tyrell? I have also found a seat position where I have no black screens at all! But when watching replay from TV cam you'll see it a lot though!

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Is he allowing you/others to work on the mod?

+ 1111111111111111111111

18. Navigator

Navigator Registered

As far as I know, only the Tyrell has black screens, right? (I hope so)
    But now, ALL seat positions are okay, no position is giving the black screens anymore.

I might have fixed it; I was using the 0.43 version and that one gives black flickering all around the car plus the black screens. The flickering comes -in some cases- into the car and makes the screen go black too.
    That might have been what I saw after my supposed fix........NOT the original BS bug, but the surrounding black coming into my sight.
    I moved to 0.432 and never saw the black screen again. I kept my fix in there.

I can't be sure at this point; someone has to test it.
    And; you will see, now I'm happy and when I try it tomorrow, it will bite me in the ass ;)

EDIT: guess what just bit me in the ass? :(

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2014
  19. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I don't know...... I do work on it, but will not hand it over to someone else as long as there is no permission.

Arnao wasn't in the position to concern himself with all this. He explained briefly and I understand him very well. I don't want to bother him with this; he will contact me or post here when he is able to.
    We just wait.

20. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Ehm, I want to look into the gtm files and I remember back from when I was doing a conversion of some rF1 mod to rF2, I had a program for it.
    Don't know the name anymore and it was a trial version for 30 days.

I hope I can reinstall that program again and have to hurry than :)
    Anyway; does anyone know how that program was called? I need it........