[WIP] Nazareth Speedway

Discussion in 'Locations' started by ethone, Dec 24, 2012.

1. ethone

ethone Registered

[Released] Nazareth Speedway

2013/02/25: v1.00 has been released. Download links here (trackcreation.net) and here (FileFront).

v1.00 of Nazareth Speedway is now out. I wrote a bit on what this version is and what it not is on my blog if you're interested. So sum it up: It's how the track might look today if it had not been closed in 2004. The layout itself and the warm up lane are matched to the satellite photography that's available, so it is very much the same old Nazareth, only with more up-to-date trackside facilities (especially new grandstands, the old ones were dismantled and re-erected at Watkins Glen) and safer wall segments mounted around the track.

Here would be plenty of screenshots if I could include them, but the forum limits me to a number of five per post....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Original WIP announcement:

(screenshot removed to have more at the top)

So here's Virtua_LM track department's new track: A modern Nazareth Speedway. The real track closed in 2004, this will be a "re-imagined" version of the track if it were to reopen, repaved and be generally rebuilt today. The layout of course stays the same, that's what made me fall in love with the track in the first place! The grandstands obviously are newly constructed, as the real ones have been taken down and re-erected at Wakins Glen years ago.

The track is fairly far along but is still missing some vital pieces, like most of the AIW, some polishing and beta testing.
    I've worked on this properly for about two to three months (to hugely varying degrees, depending on free time) while completing my Master's Thesis, after initially only working on it as a side-project for a weekend a month.

And don't worry, after this one it's back to Road America and other, more "proper" Virtua_LM-type tracks. This was born out of personal love for the track and fit in with my schedule better than a "full-blown" huge track of 6km length like Road America.

(screenshot removed to have more at the top)

PS: Nearly forgot: A quick shout out to JNS Tracks, who produced the rF1 version I loved to race and is (next to our Le Mans) one of the two reasons I still occasionally fire up rF1!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2013
  2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Ethone, brill, I really like stuff from virtua_lm

This looks really good
    Looking forward to giving it a try

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Sweet

So I can sleep at night please tell me the guys are not contemplating payware.

4. ethone

ethone Registered

We are definitely not contemplating payware in the foreseeable future, where did you get that idea from?

5. vicent-sollana

vicent-sollana Registered

Nice ethone,looks well.

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Never got the idea mate sorry.

With the subject raising it's head lately and as yet to buy lifetime I am
    going to ask my fav modders of all time if they are considering it.

For instance if I found out Bathurst and a OSRM V8 were to be payware I will not be buying rFactor2. I simply can not afford it, I hardly eat to put up a 8 car room as it is, that is not exaggeration. So to sit on server and watch V8 Bathurst would be too much to bear for me.

I think it is a fair question and thank you for your courteous reply ethone.

You could have ignored my question like others have already which just helps my BP kick in. lol :)

Some people get this wild idea I am being confrontational, spam and troll when nothing could be further from the truth.

I don't see how I am ranting when I just do not agree with payware ?
    If you look back at my first ever posts on the subject they were placid.

It is the people say that I am ranting that make me rant. ! lopl
    On top of that they have the audacity to tell a rF2 user it is nothing to do with them.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2012
  7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Anyway back on topic really excited about rF2 Ovals more then any other sim I have owned.

It took broken FF and being stuck at Indy for it to sink in. lol

8. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

I, too, enjoyed the JNS version in rF1 so looking forward to this. Thanks ethone.
    Just need some 90s Champ Cars to run on it...

9. ethone

ethone Registered

Ah ok, I was wondering if perhaps somewhere someone had made people believe something or other. :)
    I didn't get the impression you were being confrontational here by the way.

Mods-for-sale is a complex topic and I'm not sure every modder or every modding group has comprehensively thought it through, or can be certain enough about the future to be able to make any yay or nay predictions. That might be a reason why you're not getting answers from everyone.
    I don't want to speak too much for the other people in Virtua_LM, but I think it's fair to say we're pretty solidly on the "let's keep it a hobby and not worry about commercial stuff" side, which makes the prediction for us fairly easy.

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I've used the ovals on iracing ( which I think is their strong point ) although I'm mainly a roady

Will be good to try an oval within rf2 ( never tried in rf1 either )

Looking forward to this

11. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Great track but nothing in rF2 to race it on. :p

12. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I love ovals, come to think about, I like any track! This one is looking mighty fine in the pic provided.

13. tjc

tjc Registered

Looking good guys. :)

14. ethone

ethone Registered

15. hoover

hoover Registered

Nice one ethone, let me know if you still need beta testers. Also I'm looking forward to Elkhart Lake immensely!

Cheers, Uwe

16. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

An oval track by VLM? Oh, it's definitely Christmas :)

Now where is that CART mod... ;)

17. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

I never was a big of oval racing until we had great race on year ago in our league :)

I didn't know that oval racing can be so much exciting and demanding.

Good luck with project ethone.

18. buzard

buzard Registered

Short ovals are never easy. In road racing your primary opponent is the track. In oval racing your primary opponent is the other drivers.

19. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

When you're driving a Stock Car, short tracks are not easy at all. You race the track, the car and the opponents.

That's why I simply love this kind of racing. ;)

20. ethone

ethone Registered

v1.00 has been released. Download links here (trackcreation.net) and here (FileFront).

I wrote a bit on what this version is and what it not is on my blog if you're interested. So sum it up: It's how the track might look today if it had not been closed in 2004. The layout itself and the warm up lane are matched to the satellite photography that's available, so it is very much the same old Nazareth, only with more up-to-date trackside facilities (especially new grandstands, the old ones were dismantled and re-erected at Watkins Glen) and safer wall segments mounted around the track.

Here would be plenty of screenshots if I could include them, but the forum limits me to a number of five per post....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]