Why are all the servers disabling assists?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by willpinataman, Dec 6, 2012.

1. willpinataman

willpinataman Registered

I love rfactor 2 (and 1) and enjoy playing the game. But I play with assists because try as much as I can I really struggle without them and I have spent hours and hours practising but I am still slow and make lots of mistakes, for this reason I choose to race with assists. Which I think is fair enough. Sometimes I want to race online as we all do. I used to do this a lot in rfactor 1 racing on servers like les casse cours and doing alright, not the best but scoring the odd podium and occasional win. Over half of the popular servers in rfactor 1 allowed assists which was great for someone like myself. Yet when I go to play rfactor 2 online I think every single server I have been on bar 1 or 2 has had them all disallowed (except auto clutch) I see no reason why this is different from rFactor 1 I know it's a sim and assists aren't realistic but it's still meant to be an enjoyable experience and personally (I know other people too who are the same) I enjoy playing more with assists on. Having assists disallowed not only has a negative effect on my enjoyment it has it on everyone else's too because on the odd occasion I am feeling good enough to try out online I inevitabley spin right as someone is behind me ruining both mine and their races, which is not fair on them at all I know. Most people then bash or insult you, which is kind of fair enough.

I don't know if anyone agrees with me (I know many don't) but even if you don't I would just like too know why rFactor 2 is so different to rFactor 1 in the no assists allowed department.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    Apologies if you have ever met me online (especially in a skippy that was definitely a terrible move on my part)

2 people like this.
  2. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

There will be plenty out there that allow assists I'm sure as rFactor2 develops. We have a server up now for our league, which is left open except for league races. But because it is our league server, I leave the same rules on it as we have in our league, which is only auto-clutch and low ABS.

3. willpinataman

willpinataman Registered

Thanks for the reply. I completely understand in the case of leagues. Can this be said for most servers?

4. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

Oh, don't think I can speak for other's... ;-) Just one reason for one measly server restricting them. ;-)

5. Miro

Miro Registered

I guess because it's still in beta. The most people are testing and love "hardcore racing".
    I guess a sim racing beta "consumer/tester" can be considered as a hardcore simfan and you will not see those people racing with aids on.

When the software goes gold there will be more people which just "enjoy" sim racing so you will see also more people racing online with or without aids.

That's just my guess.

6. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

It's a simulator so there should be no assist. Now it's just beta so I guess most people who already purchased rf2 is really into simulation and want it so. Maybe there will be more servers that allows assist when game is released? Only guessing.

But I think you should skip the assists. Disable them all and pretend they don't exist. Learn to drive the hard (and only) way ;)
    My best tips: Turn off assists and drive Spark F1 only, until you can handle it good. Then you can drive anything else ;)

7. Pits

Pits Registered

The age old "Helps" again, I'm with you and we have F6, F8-low and F9-low always turned on in our club server, it's there to "help" if wanted or needed, it's easy just don't use them or do, this is a game and some ppl like a bit of help in a game, all good, just remember it's there ego's that "bash you" also remember their minds shrink as they get better so be gentle with them. It's not your fault. (smile)

We do at odd times get ppl in saying about the aids on, we ignore at first, pity second then they leave so we end up having a fun night out and that's the point you'd think.

Come league races they will be off, I've always not liked this myself but it's the way

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Forget assists, out of 17 rooms with activity......

2 with offical content
    15 are password and/ or need modding

Beta test lol :)

9. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

Are you using a keyboard?

Because with all due respect, if you are using a wheel and pedals, but you can't stay on track without using assists, maybe you need to get a lot more practice in.

If you are using a keyboard, and this is why you spin out and make mistakes frequently, then it's time to buy a wheel!

I have raced with 65 year olds, who have no clue about computers, and despite being slow, they are great racers and stay on track consistently for long, long races! You have no excuses for using aids if you have a wheel! :)

10. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Here's one who drive with assists too :D No shame in that. Maybe we can race some day ;)

11. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

With all due respect, I can not believe I'm that bad driver. I have a wheel (F430) and I can not stay on track and I spin constantly with a cars like spark f1 ( if not assist at all and even with low assist). Is it my wheel, some settings or poor setup, I don't know. What I know is, that when I for example watch youtube videos of people driving with pro equipment it looks a lot easier than what I am experiencing with my F430.

12. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Their servers, their rules unfortunately.

I think sometimes a tendency is to go too fast too soon. It is better to be slow and consistent rather than fast and erratic. Build up your speed gradually and the speed will come soon enough. Just make sure to adapt your driving style to each car, some can handle the throttle being nailed, others can't and will spin out. Watch out for the visual and force feedback clues for a car getting out of control.

I reiterate... start slow (even if it is without aids, which may teach you bad habits anyway) and you will slowly build up your speed with practice.

On the flipside I agree that some servers want HARDCORE or nothing, but it would be great when making a server to have a setting which is selectable like "real life aids". For example many series may have traction control or other aids... so no matter what, people can set up their servers with no aids, all the aids, a selection of aids or aids that match the real life series.

13. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I agree with the OP. I see servers all the time that don't allow assists and do it saying that its a sim. With the 60s cars this is true. A sim of a 60s era race should have no assists and autoclutch is really a cover for a hardware limitation for many. But is it a sim to disallow aids in a car like the GTR when the real car has lots of aids? IMHO a car in a series that uses aids IRL should allow aids on a server.

I run with a league that steadfastly refuses to allow aids. They do it in the name of being a sim. But they allow open view. Huh? So using ABS with a car that uses ABS is not a sim yet bumper cam is? This is the sort of thing with sim racing that drives me nuts. Everyone has their own idea of what a simulation is but really by definition if you want your game to be a sim you have to allow the aids the real cars use and force cockpit view. Otherwise you aren't really simulating real racing.

14. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

Hmm, I am not sure.

When rFactor 1 came out I spent 3 years racing with a £25 wheel from Aldi, that had 90 degress lock, no ffb, and really cheap and tacky pedals. :p

I wasn't exactly a god, but I drove without aids and steadily improved until my first FFB wheel.

Give it some time, and you will get faster and more consistent. Even if you have to drive really slowly with aids off, it's still more fun than driving semi fast with aids on.

Peace.

:)

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Trying driving as if your driving a real world car & you'll not keep skidding off. .........do bear in mind that you can not feel g-forces though

16. Spadge

Spadge Registered

I disallow assists on my rF2 server because I pretty much race against the same people every week and none of us used them in rF1, and autoclutch is allowed because it doesn't really help you with the driving all that much.

We've been running 1hour timed races every Friday night since rF1 was first released. People who want to do that tend not to run assists, I think.

That said, I'm pretty sure that I could allow them and it wouldn't make any difference, nobody would use them still.

To be honest, I've never really looked into what difference they make. Do they give you an advantage, or are they like autoclutch on the start: makes it easier with two feet but is slower than manual clutch?

17. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Some assists certainly help as spinning becomes very rare thing with them, it also does not teach respect and carefulness.

Only reason for spinning frequently is driving beyond one's abilities and that is one of the greatest challenges, to learn where your own limits are, that is also what makes racing fun for many.

However I have nothing against one that likes to use assists, so I think those could be allowed, however I would really recommend attempting another approach, try not to race for best position, try to first race for not having any spins in a race, ignoring how fast you go or if you happen to be last. After that is successful, then don't try to go any faster, but try to make race without any slipping.

At starts, let other go, start slowly, then slowly bring up more speed, after a short while you find out that you can keep up with rest and not have accidents, then you can start increasing speed more and do some close racing, but don't overtake yet, one of the greatest learning tools is follow guy at front, just keep bit of distance to him and just follow him, you learn braking points and way how he drives from there and very quickly in evening or two can probably be relatively confident and can start overtaking.

When I did run server in other sim, we had habit of helping new guys out, we told them to drive behind of us and try to keep up while we first did go slowly and then increased pace, also gave out setups that were not perhaps fastest, but easy to master, speed is something that should come later, first one needs to have confidence and reliability.

Many guys that were mostly spinning out and crashing at first turn learned in one evening to be in top 5 constantly and race close and clean, no matter what they used for controls.

There is no such open server gentlemen clubs in rFactor?

That would be a shame, lot more fun than winning race after race.

But it can be world has changed too since that, it was some 7 years ago...

18. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Hi mate,do a lot of practice and you will be a good driver!:)

19. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

I really do NOT want to hurt anyones feeelings.. or to sound mean, but... if you have a wheel... and pedals... and can't stay on the track, then you are driving way over your head.. or "you are a bad driver",or "sim racing" just isn't for you. Slow down, learn the track, learn the car. Think of it as a real car.. you crash it and it is going to hurt you and your wallet. Many people, including me at times jump into a car and push push push. Take your time, learn the car and track... slow and steady. Eventually you will get better... and if you don't, then its time to make your own server and apply what ever settings you like.

20. taufikp

taufikp Registered

JTBO's methods of helping new guys are very good. The online version of Skip Barber racing school :)