Force cockpit view unfair?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kknorpp001, Dec 1, 2012.

1. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

I totally agree....I have edited my wording.

Sorry Kknorpp001

2. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

1 person likes this.
  3. tjc

tjc Registered

:)

4. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

The only car in RF2 I don't use cockpit view on ( if I can choose ) is the Nissan GT-R, cockpit view on that one sucks for me, so I use bonnet view if it is allowed....

5. Kiro

Kiro Registered

no

1 person likes this.
  6. jtbo

jtbo Registered

For me force cockpit view is just something that chooses racers with similar mindset to server, those wanting to sit in real car and perhaps to race like real car, which is different from racing a sim.

But then again I don't race online either anymore.

However I know that when you have similar equipment and similar mindset along racers, close racing is much easier as everyone knows limitations of view etc. Using nose cam or something of such which gives much bigger view without obstructions, can lead racer to scream bad words in case of accident and not believing another one could not see him as he has no same limited view.

Thus best racing could be achieved with same resolution, same size monitor, same fov, same view, but of course all these are rather impossible to have same.

Our alternative is then to not push quite that 100% and leave some room for errors because differences of what each can see.

I would also understand perfectly option 'no cockpit view' as that would do exact the same as cockpit view, choose racers with similar mindset and also make more similar to how each perceive others field of view.

Without restriction it just requires drivers to be bit more understanding about others view limitations, which frankly is not happening too much, especially not at open servers, but then again at those quite many thinks they can win race by being first at first corner.

I'm using cockpit view with 35 FOV and 27" single screen, no head tracking as they make me dizzy. So I might be biased towards cockpit view, however I don't think so :)

I look car from outside quite often when testing cars I work with, numbers can tell you only that much :p

7. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Anything that increases your visibility over anyone is an advantage, yes.

8. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

Question 1: Huge advantage ...no, advantage.. yes
    Question 2: because we want it realistic.. that would be the point. Back to question 1: cockpit view with 3 monitors is more realistic than 1 ;P
    Question 3: Because we like realism... this is why I have 4 shifters and a sim rig. What ever the car has in real life I drive it as you would in real life.. I.E. Historic GT car manual transmission using heel toe, Clio cup car sequential.. no clutch up shifts clutch on down shifts, cars with shifters on left I use shifter on the left... car with shifter on the right, I use shifter on the right.
    Some people just like realism, sim racing to me is a ****load cheaper than doing it in real life.... and a hell of a lot less dangerous. I try to make it as real as possible.
    BTW iRacing pissed me off too, different reasons though... the forum moderator is a politically correct A-hole.. and I really don't like paying a monthly fee, and then having to pay for a new track or car every time something new comes out.
    [​IMG]

9. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

Your rig looks more like some kind of space ship with all those gear sticks, haha!

10. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

No.
    If you want to learn racecraft as a proper driver, you'll need to sit in that cockpit and learn the tracks.
    Running around behind the car or even over it with a tv camera view doesn't help you any.
    Sure...you'll be a bit slower in the beginning, but it'll feel really good once you learn them.

11. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Why?

12. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

No worries! Actually I think you edited before I saw it LoL

13. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

Yea...Why?

14. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

Performance issues with it.

15. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

You don't have your specs listed in your profile hoser70, how much ram do you have on your graphics card?

16. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

It's a 1 GB 5870. It's getting long in the tooth I know.

17. zim2323

zim2323 Registered

Except in the case of triple screen, it's not an advantage in the sense that someone with a single monitor can assign view left/right buttons and still have the same 'view' as someone with triple monitor. I raced like that for years. The only 'advantage' I have now is that I don't have to hit a button to look beside me.

Forcing driving view is completely fair. As an example, I raced in a mid-season V8 series at our league and the 2 fastest drivers raced from the chase view. It allowed them to setup and see the turns better. They were nearly a full second faster then everyone. They admitted to that being the difference but didn't want to switch to cockpit to 'learn' from that view. Those of us that were running cockpit switched to chase view and were also able to pick up that extra time as well.

Racing view is more then a preference, it's an advantage, and when it gives you significantly improved laptimes, it should be considered cheating!

18. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

With all views available to every driver, by definition no one is "cheating" if they choose to race in a view that gives an advantage over a different view. Time spent learning to drive in a particular view in most cases will outweigh the supposed advantages of the different views. I have spent considerable time driving in several different views. My times are very close regardless of the view I use. The advantage that everyone talks about in swingman is that a person can see ahead better so can better anticipate the apex and exit of any given corner. To that I say that time spent learning the track and finding your markers for corner entry and exit will make you just as fast in cockpit as long as you are driving and thinking properly.

You can't be fast if you are only thinking about the corner you are about to attack. You have to think about the next corner as well, and you have to think of what the best way to attack the corner is based on where you want to be for the next corner. Finally, you have to look quite a ways ahead on the track so that you know for certain what is coming up. Using swingman only makes it easier to anticipate what you should already know because it allows you to see what you should already be visualizing.

19. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Now I can understand the performance issues. With triple screens you are likely using up all your ram on the card and the sim still wants more. With a single screen this isn't a problem as you only require 1/3rd of the ram to get the same quality.

20. zim2323

zim2323 Registered

I don't need a driving lesson. In the case where an admin has left the view open because they don't understand the ramifications of doing so and/or they trust that only newer drivers that are having issue should be choosing to use it, then absolutely it's cheating, taking advantage, whatever you want to call it, it's still the same thing.

We all understood the situation at the point everyone realized the differrence in times. Nobody accused anybody else of cheating. I'm simply answering the OP in terms of real, valid, and provable facts. While I could care less if a server chooses to allow or dissallow, I do care when someone specifically chooses to use a view as an advantage to get better laptimes vs another view. The same could be said for an Elite driver that uses aids on a server that allows them, for the sake of helping newer drivers, just to improve his laptimes. Is it allowed? Yes! Is it cheating? That's for the admin and members of the league/server to speak up and decide. Personally I say that when a person takes advantage of something like that, it goes beyond a choice/preference and directly falls in the cheating category. For our league, we didn't really care, it was just about having fun. We actually all thought it was quite funny to see how fast they were. We all just ran our own race and enjoyed it.

That said, once the facts are out and you realize what's happening, it should be a fairly obvious piece to restrict in an open server environment. Closed server league environment, different approach alltogether.