Track Layout Contest 2012

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by feels3, Nov 30, 2012.

1. zemaniac

zemaniac Registered

is it ok if I draw it on a Google earth screenshot?

2. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

Yes...

...and yes :)

3. Twista

Twista Registered

Do you want permanent race circuits or are road/street circuits acceptable too?

4. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Great idea! I have loads of ideas clunky around in my head at not nearly enough time to get anything in game (sigh...) so I'm very keen on this...

Are you only going to pick something that is realistic? I love fictional layouts, but when something is glaringly unrealistic is always irks me.

5. N0body Of The Goat

N0body Of The Goat Registered

Is that right, maximum track length 3km (~1.9 mile), as in a circuit in essence to be driven by low powered cars/karts?

Having literally just googled on wiki, the Castle Coombe layout in its current form would qualify, being 2.977km (which surprised me if I'm honest). In a Suburu (sorry, cannot recall which model), Neil Cox drove me round this track for 5 laps back around 2007 for one of those "experience" gifts, it was all over in a blur when in reality each lap was about 1min long.

6. Axly

Axly Registered

shorter tracks can be fantastic!
    Several of the Swedish tracks are really short, and Falkenberg for example is a brilliant little 1.8 km track with 100mph average with the faster cars.
    There is this stretch of road close to where i grew up which always have reminded me of a small club-track version of... a large very famous track ;) it has a little height difference and curves which lure me into driving like a madman every time. That would (a bit wider, a slight adjustment to one curve) make a very interesting track.. Am i talking myself into submitting a track suggestion here?

7. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

He's doing this as a favor to the community, of sorts. Longer tracks take longer to make, so I fully see why this is both necessary and justified.

Plus, it's hard to make a great, fun, challenging short track. :)

8. N0body Of The Goat

N0body Of The Goat Registered

I think it was reading Ethone's comment of 3km straights that confused me at the time, discovering that Castle Coombe would qualify was definitely a positive thing, it gave me a mental image of how big a 3km track is and what sort of cars such a track would be suitable for.

Looking forward to seeing the outcome of this, as it opens up the creative floodgates to many like myself that have never touched the track creation side of sims, while getting someone with considerable experience to build the track. :)

9. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

I would like a race that the finish line was in a braking point.

10. TTupsi

TTupsi Registered

So that people pursuing the perfect lap time in qualifying would crash heavily because they missed the braking point? :D

11. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

At least then their on time for the breaking down point :)

12. Schueppe

Schueppe Registered

Frist of all thank you feels this is an awesome idea and really nice for people like me who aren't good/have no time to learn how to make a track.

I have two or three great track ideas but sadly they are to long(something up to the length of 7-10km, and one with about 4-5), all from real roads(and little ways) near my location.

But thanks again feels.

13. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

Yes, maximum lenght ~ 3km

Putnam Park is a good example ;-) - 1,8 mile ~ 2.8km :)

14. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Lime Rock is another, 1.5 mile ~2.4km IIRC.

I've got a layout sketched out, but I think it might be a little bit long at the moment. Probably closed to 3.5-4km. I'll see what I can do to knock it down a bit... I'm thinking it might also be a good idea to pop into BTB and get a dirty export into rF to verify corner radii and straight lengths, height differences, etc... Don't want to wind up with a poor flowing track!

15. Axly

Axly Registered

I think 2.3 km is just perfect, right? ;)

16. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Any old Amiga/Atari ST guys remember Stunt Car Racer? (I know Tim does). I would love to drive some tracks from this wonderful game in rfactor2 in great retro style! (imagine rfactor2's great physics+oculus rift+simxperience motion simulator and racing online ... my imagination ran riot now :eek: )

Let's start with the "Hump Back" at 1:40 or the "Roller Coaster" at 7:15 in the video :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2012
  17. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Oh yes, vittorio! :cool:

It was great fun with multiplayer setup (two Amigas connected together with serial cable...). Sometimes we had "LAN party" weekends with pizza and beer, playing stunt car racer and gp2 all night long. Those were great times...

I must try to build SCR type track to rF2, when I have little bit more freetime...

Cheers!

18. Axly

Axly Registered

Regarding Stunt Car Racer, there was at least one track from that made for GPL... Those cars were hard to handle in normal circumstances, at a stunt car racer track, they were super scary.

19. rene-xmg

rene-xmg Registered

oh yes! ...i totally forgot stunt car racer. i really loved it and it was running smooth on my 386 40mhz - if i remember right

20. vittorio

vittorio Registered

That would be totally awesome!
    BTW retro != low quality. TRON Legacy comes to my mind. Maybe its even more difficult to do a high quality retro style track. (But im sure you guys think the same)