rF2 biggest challenger?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taufikp, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

You are a funny guy :D

I agree that the feel is the most important aspect.

Still, in some point, I would get tired dealing with bugs and empty server rather than racing with decent field of drivers.

I really hope rf2 will get more popular online and all the bugs gets sorted out, I don't believe anything can be superior to rf2 feel.

2. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Wow!
    That video looks very, very nice.
    I especially like the way the chassis outwardly seems to respond to bumps.
    I also like that the car is not 'clipping' as it comes into and out of frame.
    The only fault I could find with that video...(and it is extremely small for a preview video)...is the lack of exhaust backfire animation.
    The McLaren is notorious for it's 'flame-thrower-like' exhaust flames on overrun and downshift.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2013
  3. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

not quite sure what the last paragraph has to do with pace of development, completely irrelevant to the actual v1.0 release.

5. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Well folk are fond of saying rF2 has a very slow development, AC is not exactly rushing out updates and features is it? The tech demo is the same as we have seen in vids since...well whenever the first vid of the lotus was released. Not a criticism on my part. I look forward to the first full demo with all the thing rf2 already has (all be it an various states of WIP) I look forward to it's release, it will sit alongside all the other next gen sims on my hard drive and I will enjoy the best aspects of them all.

6. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

7. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I will make AC mine at the day one, but I will miss the real road, weather....features that we have already in rfactor, but let's face it, visually AC is simply one or 2 generation ahead of rfactor 2!
    I think that rfactor 2 has made a big step forward with Silverstone, but the main issues remains the cars and the replays!
    Look at the car in that video, it looks real ! ISI should, really, improve on the replays, because replays are very important to give a good impression and advertising 'to the product, rfactor 2!

8. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

A single driver, single lap replay in iRacing is about 5.5 times larger than rF2 (when set to full). Keep in mind that in iRacing, the nondriver cars (AI or other online drivers) don't produce as much data. So a full race replay wouldn't get too out of hand.

The example replay I have from iRacing was 2.7MB for a single lap. From what I can tell the other guys (online drivers) generate about 300KB per lap. So for a 20 player race that is say 40 laps we are looking at at about a 336MB replay. I am not sure if iRacing compresses replays or not.

Long story short, iRacing replays have drastically more data and until rF2 has that kind of fidelity I doubt you will be able to run the full physics engine and get the realistic looking car movements you see in iRacing replays.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2013
  9. FAlonso

FAlonso Registered

How can gustare more rFactor interface? AC interface is visually very good and very simple. In rFactor all it takes more time, change the skin is very bad in rFactor 2.

AC seems the years 2013-2014, rFactor2 2009. The rFactor load times are very long, in AC with two clicks are within the track and with two clicks you're out of the game.

Graphically is far superior and uses less FPS.

The reps are very good in AC, the movement of the suspension are great.

Scanned circuits look great and the cars have an incredible level of detail. More than 30 cars at the moment and about 15 tracks.

The physics and FFB Assetto Corsa are very good, and their physical tire are the best. (Visually the rFactor are better)

More game modes, Drift, Drag, career mode ...

Online little is known, but one thing that is known is that there will be sanctions iRacing style.

* Rain, transition from day to night will be on Assetto Corsa after v1.0

For me undoubtedly Assetto Corsa is well above rFactor 2.

10. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I could be wrong, but I don't recall ever hearing what the barriers are with increasing replay fidelity. So far, all I remember is concerns about the size of the replay file. However, I don't see how this is a barrier. The less space you have on your hard drive the less replays you will be able to save or will have to save replays at lower fidelity. Case closed. What's the big deal?

So that leaves performance considerations? For example, if your PC is writing more data to the replay file during a race then performance could be impacted? Fine with me. Yes, it's just another variable to complicate performance problem troubleshooting, etc. but ease of use if clearly not a priority of ISI so I wouldn't think that would be it.

So that leaves programming difficulty? This I have no expertise in so others would need to comment.

Anything else?

Presumably, this should be a concern as rFactor has released the demo which is the first step in the marketing process it seems so the fact that replays are poor seems troubling. Agreed?

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

but it was never intended to have releases after the tech demo, that's my point. it was purely just that, a tech demo. kunos never said they were going to release updates afterwards, therefore it's irrelevant to the first proper version release, unlike rf2 where it was released with builds coming on a regular basis thereafter.

12. Knight of Redemption

Oh really...Okay sorry you seem to have taken a throw away comment so much to heart. Pretend I never said it and we'll just get on with our respective lives.

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

not to heart just setting the record straight for your own information, the rate of Kunos development speed wll be analised in great detail by the fans post v1.0 :)

14. Blue fellow

Blue fellow Registered

What are you judging the tyre model on? Assetto Corsa seemed to get a lot of hype surronding the tyre model before people even played the tech demo. A lot of time has passed between Netkar Pro and now. I need more cars in Assetto Corsa before I fully judge it. But right now I think rFactor 2 has the edge. The way the tyres react in Assetto Corsa after coming off of a large bump and landing on the pavement pretty much half sideways and barely losing grip, if any at all, was a let down to me.

I don't want to sound like I'm defending rFactor 2 too much. But I was very disappointed with Assetto Corsa's forcefeed back. I think this is related to the tyre model praise. You can really feel the tyres through the force feedback, but nothing else. It felt artifical. Fire up the tech demo and drive on the kerbs, you get just about nothing. The kerbs are smoother than the track surface. You get plenty of bumps in the wheel down the fast straight. I've heard of bumpy tracks, but none that are more bumpy than the kerbs :eek:

I will give them credit with the in-game UI (I talked about the menu UI's earlier, didn't like it). That was really innovative and could have a lot of potential with 3rd party plug ins, or just even more options to disable (it already had a lot though). And of course the graphics and performance. rFactor 2 could happily take influence there. Granted it was a small track with one car (LRP is one of the bigger performance hits but smaller track size in rF2 though), but if you cut my frames per second in half, I'd still be a happy camper. I was expecting to barely run it!

15. Knight of Redemption

My information is, daft videos of AC users throwing money at their monitors in order to get the devs to speed up, forums moaning that they are too slow in getting the demo out, and so on. I have been waiting for a full blown demo for ages...I was simply saying that lightning fast development in the sim world is not exactly the norm and having a little dig at those who berate ISI for their so called slow development. Anyway it's of zero importance in the scheme of things :)

16. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

You, as others, miss the Real Road from RF2, for me, that's a huge step over any sim.

17. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

AFAIK, the architecture of the replay system doesnt take in account the real-time physics, but only its graphical representation.
    You can add fidelity, and the graphical representation of the in-game physics will look more close to the real-time physics, but stll the replay is a different animal.

Noel pointed that the size of iRacing replays are 5x the size of rF2 replays, that happens because in iRacing the replays store the physics data of the player.

Now, imagine how big might be a server replay, if the architecture was based on the storage of physics data ... 20 clients in a server= 100x (5x per 20 clients) the size of a replay in rF2?

A rF2 server replay, weighting say 100 MB, might be about 10 GB?

And these calculations are based on iRacing ... have you seen how intensive is the CPU load of tgm?
    Ie, the huge amount of data required for the physics math of rF2 tires?
    Here we cant give evidence, but i would not be surprised if rF "physical data" were 10x or more, compared to 5x of iRacing.
    A server replay that now is 100 MB might weight 20 GB?

18. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

That AC video looks stunning.

19. Niksounds

Niksounds Registered

+1 incredible

in rf2 can there may be two type of replay...
    low quality for server.. high quality for users... i have big hdd today, from years

20. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Ouch. Makes sense. Thanks. So it sounds like potentially impacts all three areas of storage, performance & architecture change. Sounds like a big problem. Caramba! What about tire sounds. Is this a challenge or just something that needs to be done?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.