rF2 biggest challenger?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taufikp, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taufikp

taufikp Registered

After reading this article, I'm pretty sure that AC will be sitting pretty on my hard drive side by side with rF2 :)

http://ravsim.com/2012/11/27/assetto-corsa-autumn-development-update/

Really cant wait for the AC 'technical demo' to come out!

EDIT (30 Nov 2012):
    SimRacingTonight video interview in Gamescom 2012. Interesting topic: AI in Assetto Corsa will use the same physics as human have.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2012
  2. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Terrible input lag seen on the video. Can't understand how on earth car is easy and predictable to drive if there is so much delay between physics and what is shown on screen. Hopefully AC will have option to disable vsync - if that's causing the lag. Other than that looking good!

3. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

AC is still an unknown. What we do know looks better than rF2 in some respects- like licensed content and laser scanned tracks. But also there's no weather (not for a long time after release), no realroad and I haven't heard any plans for dirt physics. So AC has less, but what it has is more. If that makes sense. Plus, we don't know how the tire model and physics will be not to mention online play.

There are a BUNCH of new sims coming to market in the upcoming 2 years. Simbin is the 800lb gorilla an can't be ignored with RRRE. Simraceway is making a huge push with lots of marketing. Then World Racing Simulation by Mak corp- who we know does great mods. iRacing isn't going anywhere either. The 2 biggest players have to be considered ISI and Simbin and they are going about this from totally different angles. AC is the wild card.

2 people like this.
  4. Jon Denton

Jon Denton Registered

The lag is mainly due to the TV screen and poor phone based camera, don't panic.

I think rF2 and AC are the most promising upcoming sims right now. Both are great fun to drive, and both provide slightly different feature sets which should, to me, mean that many a racer should enjoy both. The beauty of modern day racing sims is that I don't think jumping between the two will be too difficult.

5. Twista

Twista Registered

I don't really think you can compare AC and rFactor simply because they seem to be going in two different directions, with rFactor acting more as a platform for a wide range of motorsports, tracks, driving styles, whereas AC seems to be something more akin to iRacing with AI and a lack of subscription model, with the intention to continue development over a long period of time.

I think rFactor is it's own beast. That's why I enjoy it so much. With rFactor 2 is seems like we're going to be able to jump from Formula 1 dirt ovals to Formula 1 cars at Malaysia in changeable conditions.

6. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Yeah, I have most the main Sims of the past few years on my HD, I look forward to all the next gen ones, they will all find a home on my computer. I suspect rF2 will be my main go to for league racing but AC and Sim Bim stuff are looking fun too. Never been a better time to be a Sim nut.

7. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I'll have both. ;)

8. otirc

otirc Registered

nkpro with AI drivers would be the best sim. That's why people think assetto corsa will be so good.

9. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

All I want is a sim with good AI. GP4 was made in 2001, and it is the only racing sim with good AI that I have ever played.

All ISI based sims have terrible AI, and sims like LFS have AI so bad it's not even worth talking about. The CM F1 games are worse than ISI AI, and iRacing doesn't even have AI. Simbin titles have done something mediocre with the ISI engine, but the AI is still retarded.

ISI AI don't share the human physics model, and because of that, the racing is never even, and is very boring. That paired with the fact that AI in ISI sims have very little programmed intelligence.

All I want is to be able to race against intelligent AI, with the same physics as me, just like in GP4. Maybe AC will provide that, but I doubt it.

:(

10. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Another one in the grip of advertising....

The ISI (rFactor) AI isn´t so terrible like you mentioned here!
    I´m driving mainly with AI too and it´s very importend for me but the truth is: most modders are not able to set a proper AI.
    But I know that it´s possible, cause I made it on my own several times.
    I have regular, thrilling wheel to wheel fights with my AI in rF1.

Who says that the GP4 AI uses the same physics like the player? I doubt that!
    And anyway, that is NOT the problem!

The only thing on wich I agree is that the complexity of the AI could be higher.

Cheers
    Pete

11. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

Yeah, it really is a shame that rF2 doesn't have licensed content :(

wait, wut.... !?! ;)

EDIT :: I think you should get your facts straight about that, you can still find AC looking better, that is just an opinion and everyone may have a different one, but saying it is better because it has something, while the other one has it too, is a bit strange :p

1 person likes this.
  12. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

Why should the difference between the filmed Wheel Input and the animated ingame Wheel be dependant on the camera it's filmed with??? That makes no sense at all.
    This input lag thing is my biggest worry about AC at the moment. You can see it on every video with AC Gameplay.
    But it seems like you (Jon Denton) have played it allready!? Is the input kag noticeable?

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

daylight

1 person likes this.
  14. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Yeah umm... when talking about graphics its not a question of opinnion, theres facts behind it looking better or not, in simulators we're talking about realism of appearance.

Not exactly all I want, but from what I'd like from AI is that it would have the repertoire of maneuvers that is commonly seen in motor sports and it would use them as humanly as it is possible.
    At its best I have driven against AI and you cant tell a difference from a human opponent, thats what I want.

Biggest challenger in what sense? Sales, realism, lifespan... ?

If we are talking about these "next gen" driving games (not using word sim for a reason) Assetto Corsa from the pc games by looking at the evidence which is mostly nkpro, looks most convincing when it comes to the realism to be able to challange rF2. pCars being the third, and in my opinnion its not a rival for rF2, but how close of a third depends on how good they get the physics department.
    If pCars turns out to be the Gran Turismo of the pc, it will sell the best out of all of these, not even taking consoles into the count.
    pCars challenging GT and Forza may have a lifespan of a month but I doubt it would ever beat them in popularity. Is it more of a sim than them two, who knows, but it will have helluva time trying to beat the physics and ffb in GT5 for consoles.

Pretty sells, and those two looks better than rF2 atm. If they still are prettier when all turn into gold, the biggest challanger is the one who takes customers away from rF2 and by doing that makes the most gold.
    Good reviews take a long way when acquiring new customers, which are achieved by having a good and finished product, and Im quite sure thats what rF2 is going to offer in the end.

I think that the rF2's Biggest Rivals are going to be iRacing, nkpro, maybe AC... the real sims of the market, not the "fun" games that we all are going to have on the side.

15. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

lol, you misunderstood. I'm not talking about the looks of the game. I meant that you can find the 'package' (= graphics+physics+FFB+content+everything) to better suit you (which I called better looking, because those were the words he used as well. Tried to do so to keep it clear, but apperenlty failed ;) ).

16. Golanv

Golanv Registered

My bad.

17. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Both are affordable. If you are a sim racing fan I can't see a reason why you can't own and enjoy both. Kunos and ISI do an awesome job and I am a fan of them. Just my two cents anyways.

1 person likes this.
  18. Jon Denton

Jon Denton Registered

No lag noticable whilst playing, there is some unfinished stuff with hand animations on gear changes, but that was all. Of course, when driving I don't look at the on screen steering wheel, because i'd rather see where I am going, but there was no noticable graphical lag and certainly no lag at all in the vehicle response to input. Not unlike rF2, where i don't get any discernible lag. This could, of course, differ with certain controllers, I was using a Fanatec CSW, as I also do at home.

There was no kag either. ;)

1 person likes this.
  19. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

Looks like a real go'er! Bring it on!

20. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

I will probably buy both, but I'm pretty sure I will play rf2 more and launch AC now and then for the fun of it.

But in the end, I feel like rf2 is going to offer me more and be the one that gets the most action from me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.