[REL] Zolder Circuit

Discussion in 'Locations' started by wgeuze, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

I have downloaded it but I was expecting a classical install procedure. If you would have made it into a rfcmp package it would be easier for all and that would probably mean more feedback for you. You would also familiarize yourself with the package process.
    Anyway I will try to have a look at it if I can get some decent car into dev mode :)

2. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I will include that in the readme for now ;)

The current version is so minimal that I don't see the point of packaging it.

3. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I have written some instructions here that might save your time a bit:
    http://isiforums.net/f/forumdisplay.php/86-Wiki

You can find for example Clio onboard video from Zolder at youtube, which might work, also Volvo360cup videos, but even my car is driving good it is not graphically at all good, which might be not enough decent then, depending from your preferences of course.

4. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

During testing and research I found that the volvo handles the kerbs quite well, only the second chicane was wrong from my part. The kerbs there should follow the camber of the road so actually, on the inside, going down, and I had them raised. This gave an uncomfortable bump while in reality you basically have just almost 2 meters of extra road ;)

In that same chicane are some heavy rumble strips*, and I intend to model everything as close as possible, so here a test of how low poly I can go. What I did here is have an edge every meter, which gets attached to the road and grass. Every meter will be subdivided 5 times, so that there is detail, but is all on the same plane, this initial 1 meter division should give enough roundess to start with I reckon. This one is screaming for nice texturing hehe, it'll be a while untill that stage though!

[​IMG]

For people with motion rigs, these things will be a bit of a pain I'm afraid when I make them too high ;)
    (hard to control motion values for this modelled kerb)

Again I guess I'm changing my plans... While I'm at it, I'm just building the kerbs right straight away. I don't feel like going back an forth over and over again and rather do it right the first time around. First next public release will feature all kerbs for the normal track layout. Turtles and grasscrete will be omitted from that one probably.

*source:
    http://designapplause.com/wp-content/xG58hlz9/2009/07/vectrix2.png

edit:
    probably also taking a different approach to texturing kerbs, first 'm going to texture them without paint and get that to look good. After that it's only paint and rubber to be added, hopefully this will get me the feeling of the 'stone' in 'kerbstone'! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2012
  5. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Slowly modelling kerbs and grasscrete (I know it looks ugly, but I prefer accuracy over looks atm :))
    [​IMG]

Also updated the resolution of the track while I was at it, I'm not going to make any big changes to elevation or turns anymore. Having another version out before Christmas, is not going to happen, so no need to be asking later :p

6. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Couldn't get a lot of stuff done, but I will definitely have an update in januari which is worth driving ;)
    (proper kerbs+grasscrete, mockup buildings)

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I have a motion rig so think I'll give this a miss, let us know if its corrected at some later stage

Thanks

8. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

would be nice if you can test the next version indeed, curious how you will experience the rumblestrips. Are you able to set different (maximum) strengths of force per surface for example? A problem could be for example, that is the rumblestrips have 2,5cm height differences, it can feel like a ditch through your motion feedback, but I wouldn't be flattening it down.

edit:
    Again following up on the comments that the track seemed wide at the first chicane. I'm starting to think it is not even wide enough. If I trust google maps, the track should be 11 meters wide at exit, and in my case, it's 8,5 meters wide. Trying to push with the Nissan, this is getting noticeable I have to say, so that will be fixed in the newer version as well. Whatever the result, january will have an update where that is fixed. These types of fixes have priority over some mockup buildings for example. The latter do have priority in their own right as well though, as it is quite difficult and frustrating to drive the track at this point because of a complete lack of reference points.

9. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Just to update, first chicane exit has been made wider matching the actual track now and as suspected the chicane is much more driveable! :)

I'm working on the grass next to the track right now getting that re-attached to the strip of grass next to the road, which is a higher resolution. Thats going to take a while since it's quite a long track but it will be worth it if I want to keep a clean mesh ;)

10. tjc

tjc Registered

Keep up the good work wgeuze. :)

11. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Will do, there's just lots of it ^^
    Before the end of the month I'll upload a new test version so it can be driven like it should from then on :)

12. tjc

tjc Registered

Sounds good. :)

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya

Yes I can setup the motion rig as needed but this is really for car type I.e downforce car or tin top classic car etc etc

To start setting profiles for each track ( & per car type on per track type ) would be a nightmare & would move away from realism as one gets use to feedback on a motion rig & if it was set different simply because there were faults in a given track it would really throw everything off , no problem on the odd big bumps that are on certain tracks ( some if iracings laser scanned ones for instance) but a false "teeth" effect in a user made one would just be very false feeling & annoying

14. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

That is why I am modelling them to size in the first place, so nothing has to be faked :)

I do have to find out how the PLR file works exactly though, because in there I have to give some values to the strips even when they are modelled in for them to be felt through my wheel. I don't know what data you use with your rig ofcourse so this could be something totally different. Just wait and see what the next version brings later this month and you will see how it works.

And yes, in the past I encountered some weird things as well, kerbstones 10 cm too high... ;)

edit:
    If I'm misunderstanding you, feel free to elaborate.

15. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Modelling in the details next to the kerbs, a tedious job!
    [​IMG]

This pic also displays the fact that I have doubled (or tripled in some cases) the resolution for the road mesh and grass :)

16. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Zolder V0.02:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?eeu6h8t63kik0u9

V0.02 (pre-alpha)
    - all kerbs and rumble strips modelled in
    - added seperate material for bare concrete kerbs
    - added new type of concrete wall
    - added grasscrete
    - added seperate material for rumble strips
    - fixed a guardrail section with wrong material id's
    - added mockup buildings for reference
    - increased resolution on road and grass meshes
    - pit entry and exit increased in resolution
    - realroad functional
    - fixed first chicane exit to be wider, according to google earth
    - turtles on grasscrete added

Depending on feedback, next thing on the list is probably modelling the pitlane and its buildings :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2013
  17. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

When I click on Race, I get a black screen with lots of dev menus. What I am doing wrong?

18. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

It's hard to do something wrong really. If you copied the entire Zolder folder into moddev/locations/ than it should work straight away without any other action required. I have read about a black screen in Devmode before.

Some questions:

- Can you open Joesville in devmode?
    - What build are you on?
    - Does this sound familiar?
    - Or this?
    - Did you run Zolder 0.01?

In case of the latter, try and remove that entirely, paste in the new version, delete the zolder data in moddev/userdata/logs

19. tjc

tjc Registered

Ahh, so this is for dev mode wgeuze?

No problem, just checking. :)

20. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Yes it is, it's not fit to race online with for example and the same for racing AI. To avoid crashes and other problems, until the track gets more functionality supported, it will stay in Devmode. That shouldn't stop you from having a go at it though ;)