Wow, it's been so long since an update people aren't even complaining any more...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kknorpp001, Nov 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Wow, nothing like confirming that there is NOT going to update to quiet the community...

2. Hectari

Hectari Registered

I would think it's coming this week as long as the track has been green lighted for release :cool:

...and if it isn't released this week i'll think exactly the same thing next week lol

3. Richard Chmielewski

Richard Chmielewski Registered

who has time to complain when there is racing to do?

1 person likes this.
  4. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

Beyond it, really. Tired of waiting. Who would have believed, when they first saw the public beta opened, that almost 12 months later we would be right here? I figured that the large financial injection they received from requiring people to pay for an early beta, would empower them to move development along quicker. Surely, that is what it was for - to employ extra people - pay current staff more etc - more man hours, working harder. But it appears the reality is "Quicker than what?".

In the end it doesn't matter - they have my money, and therefore my vote is already cast. I enjoy the game as is, but can definitely see more room for improvement. I just wish CORE updates would hurry the ^%$# up. The quicker the game reaches Version 1.0 the quicker FURTHER development can happen. Eventually, another competitor will rise with state of the art physics, state of the art well optimized DirectX 11.1 graphics, AND a great overall simulation "feel". How long? Who knows? Just like when will rF2 reach "gold" (V 1.0)? Who knows?

EDIT: All these crash to desktops that everyone is having might have stumped them ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2012
  5. Golanv

Golanv Registered

I sorta do share your heartache, there is things heading our way, and why I say our way I mean sim lovers way, but deffinetly one of these "things" is rF2. I deffinetly would like to see a faster progress and new stuff, plans, kick ass teasers of things to come, but things go as they do and only thing I have to do is wait, (which I Hate) and thats all there is to it.

These state of the art physics and graphics you talk about...
    Well the graphics part would atm. be going for pCars which is gonna have hard time having anykind of physics for console merket with that appearance, and physics in Shift series is terribad so Im not holding my breath. Assetto Corsa which has a very good change of bringing the physics with the pretty aswell, is so far from being a finished product that its gonna be far into 2013 before it sees the day light, even if their release date still says TBA 2012.
    Only thing that we KNOW has the physics is rFactor2 and boy is that worth every penny or what.

Im not going to go and blame ISI for being slow, or wasting money, I have no idea what they are even doing, and what ever it is Im sure I wouldnt understand even half of it anyways.
    The fantasy of a nextgen physics is so tempting that I dont see any reason to whine, and what glimpses we already have witnessed of this product are more than encouraging.
    Only thing I find little strange from marketing point of view when it comes to ISI is that they didnt go and do something pretty before starting to go into the physics endgame. We all know how the screenshots and videos are the biggest interest gatherer in gaming industry and if you want to make quick buck (beta sales) and keep the bigger part of the audience thirsty for more, you have to show them something pretty.
    Im not saying that you need to have everything picturesque and photorealistic, but show something to expect from the futere, something... pretty.

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

RF2 is already better than a lot of other Sims out there, the futures good whichever way you look at it.

Roll on the next update though, would like the skip barber and new track this week!

7. kro388th

kro388th Registered

View attachment 4771

:p

8. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Having been involved in software development before myself, I understand how plans don't always go to plan and just when you thought you have thought of everything you realise there's a whole new world of hurt opening up.

I wasn't expecting gold to be released within the first 12/18 months at all, so am quite content with where things are at now and I believe what we have is a great base to work from - so good work ISI!

My only gripe is that there seems to have been too much emphasis on creating new content, i.e., new cars and new tracks. I'd have preferred them to have released 4/5 tracks with 3/4 cars and that's it. Get the basic game working, like realroad, weather, spray, physics, tyre model, sound and graphics issues. No use in having a selection of 8 different cars and 8 tracks when I can't drive any of them because my fps is down at 25. And if that is working to an acceptable level, no use driving a wet weather race with all these different types of cars on new tracks when the wet tyre grip doesn't work.

I personally think the time is better spent on the rF2 engine rather than content especially at this early stage. Finish the engine and everyone will be captivated, then over the coming years release the content as that will keep people interested and coming back. It won't work nearly as well the other way around.

9. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

exactly...

10. coops

coops Banned

glad you posted this nothing else interseting at the moment to post in.

11. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

come on...
    "thou shalt not ask for updates"... you'll be shot, burnt and then drowned...

12. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

There are different people making cars, tracks and game engine. So taking car or track work out of equation doesn't make the development any faster. Hiring more employees is not a solution for short term either. It takes anything from 6-12 months for new people get adjusted to new tech platform, before they really start get productive.

13. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

so it seems to be fate... as nothing can be done...To make it clear: I'm not asking or suggesting ISI anything... I'm just replying to Johannes thread.

if you hire a butcher and have to teach him programming, it will probably even take more than year to get him productive... if you employ skilled people, they must contribute within 100 days. if not, you've hired the wrong people. on the other side, you're suggesting that rf2 will go gold within 6-12 months, how do you know?

14. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

+1 to Rojola there. Track Artists are no Code Developers.
    To Golanv: I have the suspicion, that ISI don't WANT to attract to many people into the Beta. The community is big enough to test RF2 properly...more people would result in a much messier forum. They would need to hire another two Tim Wheatleys just to keep up with the forums.
    I guess that ISI doesn't need the sale-income yet. Would be stupid to have such an insecur business plan. I think they will wait with attracting more people until RF2 really goes towards gold.
    And i really don't have anything against that. at the moment, i would much rather see proper all-wheel drive implemented, the turbo-code perfected and the engine-simulation enhanced, than having pCARS graphics. You first need to dig deep, do the dirty work, before you can start to clean up the outside. Which barby-doll girl puts on the Makeup before it gets it's breasts done? ;)

15. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

It doesn't matter how skilled people are, new tech and company workflow always has a degree of learning curve. This is basic stuff in software development world. Yes, you have also the risk that you hired the wrong people. But it can take relatively long time to actually figure it out.

I am not suggesting any time frame, my prediction is that we have gold by Christmas 2013 :D

16. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

"I am not suggesting any time frame, my prediction is that we have gold by Christmas 2013", I actually think this is a pretty realistic timeframe.... let's hope that rf2 will be compatible with windows 9 when it's released;)

17. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Sorry for miss it, but, wich track are you talking about?

18. coops

coops Banned

im pretty sure i read somewhere that ISI has enough $$$$$$ to FUND rfactor for a LIFETIME... with its other products and sales from years gone by.

19. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

It's quite common in the engineering industry in general and aerospace in particular to go on a mass employment binge for short-term contracts to do work required to be done ASAP. There's no use employing guys who do seat fittings if there aren't enough engineers to design the aircraft in the first place... And trust me, being a contractor in aerospace if it takes you 6-12 months to get up to speed, you'll be out the door quicker than you can say 'what the'. Talented people don't need a year to learn the ropes, if they are, they're not talented.

Perfect example, aerospace company GKN setup an office here in Oz for which I worked for. We were an office of 35 people, we won the Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) contract which required us to employ an additional 320 people increasing our company size nearly 10 fold on the premise that these contracts would last from between 6-36 months. We filled those seats and emptied them as planned, work completed and job well done.

Whilst I appreciate there are designated jobs to designated people and it essentially doesn't 'hold-up development', that's not efficient and you'll find yourself behind your competitors sooner than you realise. Like I said, we can have a huge selection of cars and tracks but at the end of the day, are you going to drive a wet weather race when half the wet weather functionality is not working?

20. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Tim gets paid? I thought he functions with credits and points. :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.