How do ISI prioritise Licensed Car releases

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Nov 10, 2012.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

More aimed at Tim I guess but, with the recently announced Skip Barber license it got me thinking how they/you prioritise which ones to model & release first. I've seen Tim mention he has licenses for some classic cars but they're "down the list of priority" so does the Dev Team, modeler and/or Gjon just say "this car is next, then that one, then that one"? or "we need more type of this car so they come first"?

What if a license comes along and the owners declare "we want it out as soon as possible for RF2", does work immediatley stop on the current car until the new one is complete, that ever happen?

Guess I'm just intrigued by the whole license area as surely theres a bit more to just getting a signature to aking the car, same goes with tracks too.

2. Richard Chmielewski

Richard Chmielewski Registered

The interesting thing is ISI are not the only ones who can get a license for a certain car or track. The modders of the community can ask for one also. So if you are friends with your local track owner, get out there and ask around, it can't hurt!

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yep, lots of licenses (mostly the historics) were free. There was a few I've known since the GPL days when I first started to try to do personal research, made it easier. Was nice to be able to actually do this licensing (which wasn't something I was supposed to do, it just happened).

There's many reasons why a car goes up or down priority. The rTrainer was going to be the next car released anyway, whether it had Skip Barber on it or not. I just took a shot, contacted them, and got it. So then the 3D artist made what changes he had time for, the physics guy completely reworked the car, and it seems like the AI guy is going to have to re-write some code (though not sure if it'll happen for first release of the Skip Barber 2000). That's all work that wasn't planned, but was important to get done.

Where things slot into the list from here to the future? Well with a lot of the historics, we already had some historics. We try to balance between modern and historic, but also balance the type of racing. It's not always possible, and you've seen a bunch of open-wheel cars, and are going to see a couple more before something else comes along I think. Each piece of content seems to have a force pushing it back, and a force pulling it sooner. :)

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Nice thanks Tim, interesting about the SB AI, is that to do with the physics changes to the car I presume? One thing Id like to see altered with the AI is for them to take on better physics, more human like the better as currently they get away with a lot of strange behaviours!

5. 88mphTim

They don't (can't) drive the car how it is supposed to be driven while near other cars. Their panic seems to cause them to adjust, and that isn't smooth enough for the car not to spin out. It does look rather spectacular when they spin, but it does make racing the AI difficult right now until they begin to spread out (although they sometimes still spin then). It tends to only happen on fast turns.

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

aahh ok seems like an over exagerated symptom of what they generally have already in all mods, they are very tentative around the Human driver at times especially when side by side going through a corner, tendancy to just lift off and drop back too much without fighting for position (even at 100% agg). Sounds like the SB AI are just worse than this hehe!

7. rhamm

rhamm Registered

Hopefully there are several Can-Am historic licenses in there somehwere.

8. MrDarceh

MrDarceh Registered

Are you talking about that oh-so-grating noise that the cars make when the AI attempts to feather the throttle? Constant reminder of how hard it must be to make decent AI

9. 88mphTim

You mean you don't appreciate the "bah, bah, bah, bah, baaaah, bah, bah" noise in the turns? :)

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

AI feathering is one thing, timid alongside a Human is another. Feathering also happens on the straights, just watch them touch go on/off the brake in the opening laps, seems their collision detection may need some work (amongst others).

11. MrDarceh

MrDarceh Registered

Depends, is it a feature or a bug? ;)

12. ElPronto

ElPronto Registered

I see a new ISI product

Velcro driving gloves. I think they make them in New Zealand. LOL

Paul

13. 88mphTim

They should stop attaching velcro to the pace car, then it would be easier for guys to drive by without hitting it. ;)

14. PMC

PMC Registered

lol SVG hits medical car:rolleyes:

He's a Kiwi and i'm sure a medical car counts

15. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

served the medical car right for passing under yellow :p