SimRacingWorld Poll - Which is better: Project CARS or rFactor 2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 3lfk1ng, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

A total pain in the @ss getting my wheel setup. The software still isn't recognizing 900 degrees rotation. The ingame wheel moves at times when I'm not moving my wheel. Very odd!

It's a mix between Shift 2 and Dirt 3. I had some fun doing laps last night. I'd get it for $15 during the Steam holiday sales.

@Osella. The physics in GTR2 could be considered arcade by todays standards. ;)

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Was just about to say the same thing to Osella.

The stock gtr2 cars were pretty ****ty. The sim was so dumbed down to make it easier and more driveable. Probably why it sold so many copies. A dumbed down sim will please both sides, as long as they don't know any better. Stock un-modified GTR2 is simcade, actually a little better than simcade, not much though.

PCars is assssss so far. The physics are soooo dead, the cars barley move around. You barley need to correct, the oversteer is so slow and easy feeling, you just steer and correct almost like you are in slow motion and the car will correct.

I feel sorry for anybody that thinks it's currently a sim. It's just a game at the moment. Shift 2 with a pretty big physics patch/update.

It's getting better though, but thats like saying you're 12 seconds slower than your teammate instead of 15, sure you're getting better, but you're still in a completely different dimension from him, let alone even comparable to speak of in the same sentence lol.

3. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

You can tell from the setup screen alone this isn't a full sim. It's simcade at best and it would be tough for anybody to argue this fact.

I actually think the ffb in shift 2 was better than what I've felt so far. :p

4. osella

osella Registered

Alright then, I was under the impression GTR2 is considered a pure sim just like rF, at least on nogrip and few other places. That explains a lot really, pCars feels very similar to that.

5. osella

osella Registered

6. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Of course it's a pure sim, it might not be the best anymore, but calling it simcade simply highlights this crazy "harder to drive =reality" mentality that ruins iracing and many of the cars in rf2.

7. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

I agree, it lacks the quality of FFB and physics, and both GTR and GTR2 destroy this for FFB, physics and steering precision, though GTR certainly isn't perfect, but can still be driven very precisely.

8. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

The camber adjustments went in steps instead of fine tuning. I'm talking 90s stock car here. That's the only car I've played with setups.

I'm not bashing the game btw. I think it's alright, it's just not in the sim genre. I don't care what Ian Bell says. I was lurking around wmd forums and I'm really starting to dislike that guy. lol.

9. joker68

joker68 Registered

Never (or rarely) post here, but to me, based on what I've experienced until now from Kunos (netKAR), AC has a good chance to rule out both titles.
    I've bought rF2 and pCARS (and almost every other racing title that came out on last years), because I like to help companies to keep digging and producing new (and better) titles. That being said, I have a strong feeling that both titles will be erased from my hd as soon AC comes out. Of course, I can get disapointed if AC turns out to be arcadey, but judging by what I've seen and heard by people that actually have tried the AC alpha, physics will be top notch (and the gfx part is very pretty, too). Good AI and multiplayer. Moddable. What else do I need?
    Anyway, there will always be space for more titles, suitable to all audiences. Just pick one (or more) and be happy. :) We are living good times regarding racing sims, plenty of choices.

1 person likes this.
  10. osella

osella Registered

About AC... we really don't know much about it yet, I don't get, together with Durge, where the *extreme* optimism comes from.. OK, so screenshots are nice. There was one or two vids, looking nice. They are authors of NKPro, which was good. And that's about it, IMO not enough info to be so sure it will a perfect sim. It still can turn out bad.

1 person likes this.
  11. Niksounds

Niksounds Registered

"harder to drive =reality" is a little bit old as concept.. stop with this equation in ALL sense

Here we are speaking of brakes handling, inertia, mass transfers, road surface..

The equation and the alpha/beta discussions are for politicians...

12. tjc

tjc Registered

Well said osella...

Completely agree with every word. :)

13. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Both are great, both are unfinished, both will be better in the future.

14. osella

osella Registered

Oh, AC is also supposed to be modable. But nobody said to what extent. What if that means we'll be allowed to change menu background pic lol.
    People assume it will be rf-like modable without proof.

15. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I feel bad for Kunos. People have this expectation that when driving AC you will be touched by the hands of god. lol. This expectation brought upon only by the sim racing community has put AC in a spot that unless you live in everlasting bliss after driving AC it will be a disappointment. :p

16. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Both i´m playing...

17. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

From AC's site...suggests fully modable to me....without suggesting it going to be better, worse or indifferent. Who knows.

Every day simracing enthusiasts write to us asking for us to add support for modding and customisation to our products. We recognize that in the simracing community there are a lot of talented people able to recreate cars and tracks with accuracy and passion, often to a better standard than commercial products. As such, we have decided to design Assetto Corsa as a modular simulation system that allows players to express themselves at their best by creating the mods they desire.

Therefore, within Assetto Corsa the interface, overlays and the core software are designed to be fully customizable allowing additional mods made by the simracing community to enhance the simulation, allowing it to thrive. Can’t find your favourite car or track? With Assetto Corsa, you will be able to make it yourself! Also, Assetto Corsa will include several racing, practice, and competition options in order to satisfy any need for fun and entertainment.

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

AC will be a pure sim like rFactor 2, mark my words.

I've seen the characteristics of the cars on videos, you can tell from their behavior under braking, turn in, mid corner, little corrections, the way u use the steering wheel in general, how the car gets unsettled etc etc that it is a proper pure sim.

I am specifically talking about the BMW at Monza and the F1 at nurburgring video.

Also, make sure you watch a video where you can see the real life driver steering. Although it does a wayyyyyy better job than RFactor 2 in conveying physics through it's graphics, it's still not the same as actually seeing the real life drivers wheel.

Exactly, has nothing to do with harder to drive, or easier to drive.

It's about all the characteristics of the handling/physics. Nothing to do with harder or easier, although sometimes that can be a result of better or worse physics.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2012
  19. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

No, just as an arcade game is too easy to drive, so to a game that has all the trappings of a sim can be letdown by being too hard to drive.
    There's no car in these games that I can't drive to my satisfaction...

1..GTR
    2..GTR 2 demo+GTR 2 carpack for Evo
    3..RACE07+EVO+RACE+all ex packs and all mods
    4..Netkar
    5..FVA
    6..GSC 2012

But, both iracing and rf2 let me down with some of their cars.

20. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

I also agree regarding AC...I have no doubts this will be an accomplished sim as their developers have constantly mentioned a distinction between simcade and sim, and repeatedly mention how time consuming it is to work on just one car.

rf2 and iracings worst cars have the same thing in common, they spin despite an experienced sim racer trying to simply produce a reasonably paced lap....also, before one of iracings updates, the spec racer was the worst sim car I'd ever driven, it was so bad it outdid the horrid F3.5 pre b85{the bad ole days of rf2}.....however, even now the F3.5 is a laughing stock as it spins just when it's supposed to have much more grip, ie, 150-200kph corners.

Not sure whether this behaviour is absent or more detailed for people with nonG27's, but with my G27, it's BS.
    I've spent more time trying to sort rf2 than all my other sims combined over the 4 yrs I've been sim racing.
    The F2 OTOH has much more convincing levels of grip, but sucky FFB, and also feels like it's on a turntable at the last corner in Malaysia.

The funny thing about this forum, is that most here claim the 2 best sims are rf2 and GSC 2012, but GSC is a gripfest compared to most of rf2's cars, yet to me, GSC by an large have it right, with the Camaro being the no1 tin top of all time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.