SimRacingWorld Poll - Which is better: Project CARS or rFactor 2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 3lfk1ng, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reprobator

Reprobator Registered

Rfactor2 is maybe 5/6 years later graphic wise but common' pcars is 15 years late physic wise, it is ridiculous it may be very beautifull, it has the worse ffb and physic at the time, every thing they may add on top of that is useless if the game has no feeling.
    Pcars is annoying and feel like driving a dead horse.
    Every week i try the last build, 10 minute then close it, still disapointed by the thing.
    I'll wait beta phase to come back to this game.

2. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

I fully agree that physx can't be compared to rF2... at the moment. But still, there is weekly progress... as mentioned I'm not even sure if Pcars is aiming at high level physx. On the other side, everybody thinks it's normal that rF2 gfx is bad because it's beta... however everybody in this forum blames heavily Pcars for it's physx and it's alpha... for the other racing titles we don't know yet... but I think it's naiv to believe that nobody except ISI is able to write a good simulation. Let's see... hopefully within a few months, how the other compare. Competition can only be good for us...

3. osella

osella Registered

I got confused for a second, PhysX has nothing to do with car physics, just use the term physics when talking about sims :)

Thats where the problem lies IMO, as Tim said that ISI doesnt really care about competition, they work the same way as if there was no competition, maybe thats why the progress seems slow.

1 person likes this.
  4. Maug

Maug Registered

This kind of polls shows nothing. It's just about popularity and the rest doesn't matter actually... Plus i had never heard of this site, why should i trust it?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

the worst part is, there are people that actually think pcars, especially now that they got a beta out of their new tyre model out, is almost just as good, or just as good as rf2.

These people are either dilusional or have little to no understanding of true sim physics

6. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Not posting much and sorry for the long post but I bought into pCars yesterday (driver 344) so wanted to share this in case it is helpful to others. Just my opinion, no bashing of either game.

For pCars you have to be online because the game authenticates to their servers each time you launch it. This was deal breaker for me and they were very cool about refunding my money right away. So kudos to them for that.

Granted I didn't spend more than half a day with it but quality, especially the tracks, were inconsistent. I know it is alpha but from vids I've seen I thought it was further along. The full FFB effects on the T500 are not used like in rF2. Road surface is console smooth, very heavy steering on brakes (over done effect), and sort of a vague feel overall which might be because of the bland road surface. I did like the feeling of weight of the cars, something rF2 could improve on. It reminded me of playing GT5 with my G27 except the handling was a notch more realistic. Zonda R was a highlight in that department.

I couldn't get my steering to match, there is no set rotation for each car like in rF2 which was a pain to deal with. OOB FOV is odd as well, car was 1:1, projector set to about 70", but road was very narrow, didn't get it tweaked right but I'm sure with time it could be improved. Image processing was very smooth though, never had a problem with chopping running on ultra. Graphics as we all know, are very nice as well.

If you are coming from console sims or enjoy them, then this will be of good interest and a step up. It is fun and sounds good and when finished I'm sure it will be "the" driving sim for consoles. If the Zonda R is anything to go by then they are on the right path.

That said, after I uninstalled it, I launched rF2 and I had a new appreciation for what ISI has accomplished thus far. With rF2 I could just get in and drive, no need to figure out how the game handled. The road surface and use of the many FFB effects for the T500 bring the realism to a new level. There is just no going back (for me anyway) after experiencing these effects. If ISI can get rF2 running a bit smoother (I need to try upgrading my graphics card drivers as well) then it is just a matter of waiting for additional content to become available.

7. osella

osella Registered

Probably the latter, pCars is most appealing to those who no longer like pure arcade like NFS most wanted and alike but consider iRacing or rF too hard.
    Half of people at pCars forums believe that racing real cars is generally easy and that all the so-called sims prior to pCars just did it wrong and too hard.

8. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

Physx... obviously you're right... it's confusing.
    "as Tim said that ISI doesnt really care about competition". Of course they don’t ... we’ve paid already....-;)
    Seriously, I've not seen this post but reading it out of context: it sounds extremely arrogant and ignorant to me. Nobody can afford these days to ignore competition or quality standards. Even though ISI might have better physics these days, you just can’t launch a game in 2012 (or 2013, 2014??? who knows) with 5 year old GFX.
    RF1 was a big success but let’s not forget that rf1 also had up-to-date GFX when it came out!
    The SIM racing community is growing and growing.... > this means money > this means high investments > competition > the result is that 2-4 SIM titles are about to be released within 12 months... 2 of them(apart rf2) claim to have simulation level physics and they have already today amazing GFX. (at least looking at the teasers) They will also offer modding possibilities...
    ISI seems as well to have forgotten why rF1 was so successfull: because of the available mods... So far I’ve been reading several times that modders turn their back to rf2. If you’re loosing the support of your own community, you should start to be alarmed. However we continue reading in company posts: it’s done when it’s done- we don’t owe you any kind of information, you bought it... it’s your problem, nobody forced you to do so.... we did not promise anything, constant developement... blablabla... this is for the arrogant part.
    Honestly, I would not bet everything on the “nobody-else-will-ever-be-able-to-provide-good-physics”-card... and this for the ignorant one...

9. osella

osella Registered

He didn't say exactly that they dont care about competition but I remember he said something along the lines "we're doing things our way". Id love to find that post but its gonna be hard.

10. BrokkelPiloot

BrokkelPiloot Registered

Ofcourse ISI is aware of the competition. I think what Tim was trying to say is that ISI will not deviate from their current developmentpath/philosophy. ISI have stated many times that physics development has priority over graphics (and other stuff as additional modes etc). People are always complaining about the graphics of rFactor 2 compared to pCars. pCars developes the other way around. First graphics (and other stuff), then physics. I totally agree with Tim that ISI should draw their own plan and not focus on the development philosophy of the competition.
    I think it is actually arrogant to expect to get a vote in the way ISI runs its bussiness just because you bought their game (being fully aware it is not finished). Ofcourse ISI will listen to the community, they are not stupid. But listening to the community does not equal giving into demands from people complaining about the focus of development. Especially with the limited size of the team that ISI have.

11. osella

osella Registered

Yeah but to be honest, how many things that community shouts for actually made it to rf2 so far? The FFB torque filter implented into UI is the ONLY thing I can think of, nothing from the wishlists made it yet. Makes it look like that section is there purely for fun, for us, not for ISI.

12. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

If you worry too much about your competition you lose focus. ISI has been around for 20 years in a business that is VERY competitive. Maybe give them some credit for that?

13. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

To be honest I kinda don't want to see a ranking system in rF2. Seems like once you start adding leaderboards and the such you pretty much tell the racing community "READY , SET , GO NUTS". Laptimes seems like enough leaderboard for me. At least with laptimes guys racing online won't want to screw up for risk of ruining a good lap. A leaderboard for wins brings out the worst in people. So if there HAS to be some ranking system base it off laptime only. Forget about wins and such. I always get the best racing in rFactor2 over any other game.

14. osella

osella Registered

There is some truth in that, people tend to take ranking in car sims way too seriously, go crazy and feel frustrated if they aren't near the top and well, most people by logic can't possibly nowhere near the top :)

15. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

And ISI probably can't understand your reasoning or conclusions above. That likely makes us even.

16. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yes, or you spend a lot of time trying to BE the competition, and then all you're doing is diluting your potential customers, who have a choice between twin products. It seems some don't understand the basics. :)

17. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Dude that zipper face video that is one of the videos that is displayed after that is creepy!

18. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Actually, I believe other things have made it in too like saving real road and other things too but I could be wrong.

Also, Osella, I believe you but am shocked that you, who was involved in legendary 1937 gp mod, could play pCars. I literally cannot play that game. Help me to understand, please. What cars do you recommend? Any other tips? I'm not kidding. I cannot play pCars. Please tell me I am missing something.

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Ghost Car
    Better Shadow options
    FFB Filter (as you said)
    List View (UI)

Those off the top of my head, pretty sure theres more and those from the Wish List forum now. Many of the things in the original RSC Wish List thread have made it into RF2 already with more to come.

20. osella

osella Registered

Dont think youre missing anything, you cant really tune FFB in pCars, save for "tyre force" slider so what you feel you feel, but I dont know, I can play it. Admiteddly there is very little feel and character in those cars compared to decent rf1 mods/rf2 but the overall grip levels seem accurate, and that combined with good sounds, great graphics and even better online code makes it pretty addicting. Its definitely a sim, the physics still need tons of work there, often it feels so artifical but its fun.
    And then there are times where it actually even feels quite good, like I like that the weight of cars through ffb feels consistent, to be honest how light the steering in rf2 F2 sometimes become, its very strange, in pCars its more consistent. And theres also no rattling but well, thats probably because there is high filtering (which you cant turn off.. but IMO its better to have high filtering as a default so you dont scare logitech users, not vice versa like rf2 does it)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.