Realistic shifting gears in Clio

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brolo, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Brolo

Brolo Registered

Greetings Everyone,

I would like to drive the Clio as realistic as possible so I'm looking for some information. Does the Clio use sequential shifting? If so, what is the procedure for using the clutch?

Thanks!

2. Maug

Maug Registered

I think they use sequential gearbox. Not F1 automated sequential, sequential with lever. I think they don't need to use the clutch on upshift but they do on downshift.

This is what i guessed from a video.

3. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Yes. It is sequential but not semi-automatic. Sadev Gearbox is designed to flatshift up the box..

4. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Well technically you don't need to use a clutch on almost any gearbox, especially dogboxes.

5. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

This video shows the drivers feet. You can get an idea of what's going on.

6. tjc

tjc Registered

Ok... he`s definitely using the clutch on the downshifts but not using it on the upshifts... seems to clear that up then.

Why is the clutch needed for the downshifting but not upshifting?

One more thing... what`s the blue flashing light top right (as we are looking) of the windscreen?

7. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

It primarily depends on the rule sets for different race series.

For example, in F1 you have a fully automated paddle gearbox, where you do not need to clutch on up or downshifts. Then you can have sequential gearboxes, like in some rally cars, where you have to use a sequential gear lever, but like a paddle box, you do not need a clutch for either down or upshifts.

Then the most common type in GT/saloon racing, is where you have a sequential box with no clutch needed for upshifts, but you must still use the clutch on downshifts.

From what I recall, (may be wrong), the only reason they use this kind of transmission is for racing purposes. It increases the required amount of driver input, forces right foot braking, and generally makes the car less "F1 techno bam" and more "car", whilst still using good technology. If that makes any sense! lol.

8. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

A sequential gearbox allows you to upshift without having to use the clutch. However, there are different variations of a sequential gearbox. Some allow you to be able to downshift without using clutch and some require you to use the clutch. I do believe, however, that all sequential gearboxes allow you to upshift without using the clutch. Otherwise I think it wouldn't have any advantage over a manual shifting car except being able to just pull back or push forward.

As far as the light, it's probably something specific to the series he's running. I have no idea what it is.

9. tjc

tjc Registered

It certainly does make sence and I appreciate the rundown... cleared it all up nicely. :)

10. tjc

tjc Registered

And seconded by your good self GTFREAK... cheers. :)

I asked about the light as it`s something I`ve never noticed before, from outside views or in car but as you say, probably something to do with the specific series.

11. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

It's to do with the relative speeds and loads between the shafts/gears in the box.

On my motorbike you could keep a constant pressure on the gear change lever and as it hit the rev limiter it unloaded the gearbox just enough to snick the next gear up. On the downchange you have shut the throttle and the load stays on the gears due to engine braking. If you can get it out of gear without the clutch you usually still have a hard time getting the next one down without doing something to match the speeds.

12. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Thats it actually.
    Clio has an ordinary mechanical seq, like a motor bike, where its easy to shift up, but difficult to shift down with no clutch.
    F1s and F2s have autoboxes, that do the rev matching by themselves, so you dont need clutch.

13. tjc

tjc Registered

Very interesting stuff, I never really knew any of this before... well not in so much detail anyway.

I`ll remember this when driving the GT`s etc from now on.

Cheers guys. :)

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

To complicate things further some, cars have a sequential stick but dont nessesarily have an auto-cut aka auto-lift, and you then have to give the throttle a super quick lift on the upshifts, now a days more and more racecars do have the autolift feature implemented into the ecu.

On down shifts, many sequentials still need to be blipped by the driver, many still dont use autoblip. Also i have seen some h-boxes (dogboxes) not using the clutch on the downchange, and h-box dogboxes not using the clutch on the upchange as well, just a tiny quick lift of the gas pedal and preloading of the gear into the next gear.

I have seen videos of guys in th same series and same cars using different styles aswell.

EDIT - ok I just watched that video, it's hard to tell if he's giving it a very small and quick lift on the upshifts but I doubt it, but the downshifts are what really got my attention. It seems to have auto blip as he isn't blipping the throttle manually, yet he still uses the clutch on the downchange, can this be modeled in rFactor?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2012
  15. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

In historic cars, before computer control, F1 drivers used to shift without the clutch as it was faster for them and they learned how to rpm match the engine to the transmission for up and down shifts. I would image the same went for other types of cars as well.

16. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

They do use a blue flashing light on the Nürburgring 24h Race. The fastest 40 Cars get one, so the other cars are warned when they want to overtake...
    Maybe it's something similar in this case...

17. tjc

tjc Registered

Indeed it could be... it`s funny, after all the racing I`ve watched I`ve never noticed this before as I`ve said. Mind you that makes it sound like I`ve watched loads but sadly have`nt really seen much Clio type racing at all...

18. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

And also support ffb shifter LOL.

19. Brolo

Brolo Registered

I appreciate everyone's responses. GTFreak, that's a great video!

Thanks everyone!

20. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I can picture it in my mind right now. Someone goes out and buys a shift with ffb thinking that it will shake a little to simulate engine vibration. He takes his shiny new shifter out on track at Sebring and clips the curb on the outside enough to rattle the car and pow, shifter is in neutral. Person who purchased the shifter doesn't notice this and wonders why he can't get the car to speed up now that he had an impact with the curb.....

:)