Graphics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Craigjw, Oct 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I know for 100% sure that they atleast updated shaders on tracks. There were articles, officials previews from iracing of old vs new comparisons and so forth.

Car graphics have been massively improved aswell, I remember playing the rtrainer about 6 months after iracing first came out and then seeing videos of it in the last year or 2, massive difference.

The car graphics improvements look personally to me to go much further than just core graphics engine improvements. The cars themselves seem more detailed and sharper, higher res???? I could be wrong of course, but that's what it seems like.

Anyways, i bet Fernando Alonso and others don't complain in their sims powered by 20 supercomputers that still have rf1 graphics or even worse, so who the hell are we to complain????

People honestly don't know what a simulator is, and some of you clearly don't get enough enjoyment out of the pure driving part, hence you are so concerned about visuals.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2012
  2. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Excuse me? because some of us have kit capable of better than average graphics and have expressed the desire to get them we somehow don't get enough enjoyment from driving? and don't know what a simulator is? comments like that are not like you, and you are wrong on both counts. I will forgive you though because you are one of the more informed and helpful forum members ;)

I drive all the main Sims and as anyone who knows me and drives with me will tell you, I think rF2 gives the best sim driving experiences out there, but its not perfect, and the graphics are it's weak spot at the moment, simple as.

3. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

I sometimes get the impression that people want better graphics more for their screen shots and videos than for the driving 'experience'.

The last time I rattled down the road with a helmet on at 100 and plenty mph it certainly didn't look a nice crisp 1080p :)

4. Knight of Redemption

Never taken a screen shot, or done a video...But I have rattled down the road at a hundred and plenty with a helmet on :)

5. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

If i could record what I saw and put it on youtube, people would accuse me of recording it with a potato. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Again, how is that anything to do with art passes on base art? :)

7. tjc

tjc Registered

I`ve got to say I take exception to that comment too... to put it mildly... that`s bo**ocks!

I get a massive amount of enjoyment from the driving and especially with rf2 but I do also like to take good quality screenshots and hopefully soon do some vids too.

Please don`t make comments like that as you have no idea what other people like or don`t like or what enjoyment they get from anything in their lives.

Nuff said. :)

+1... well put Knight. :)

Btw... I`ve also rattled down the road at a hundred and plenty (nice phrase btw kaptain) but not on two wheels as I`m a four wheel man.

8. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I hate being one of the ones to say this, but yes it does look like you have put your foot in it this time Spinelli.

I am never one to say that graphics should have a higher priority than physics and realism and I never will be. However, graphics can make the experience more immersive, so some attention should be paid to it. There are quite a number of drivers out there though that have, and will continue to get the most enjoyment out of the actual driving aspect and are still capable of seeking a more pleasing visual experience as well.

Can this be accomplished in rF2? I don't know for certain, but I hope that the 2 can be combined to some extent or other. I will however, not be disappointed if rF2 decides that the physics are more important than graphics in the end. I would imagine that most of us can't wait for the day that we strap on a helmet in our racing cockpit and really start to believe we are on a real track with real cars.

9. Vinceton

Vinceton Registered

All I know is, silverstone looks nowhere near as good as suzuka.
    Fiddling around with knobs, sliders, and maths mean nothing to me. You're still "polishing a turd". The base art is still not calibrated or taken from better sources as their newer tracks.

10. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

...and they are also driving too slow LOL. Maybe they should try 60s F1 and see how much time they have to be staring at the sky LOL

11. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

But I do drive the Spark F1, and I still have time to look at everything, especially as I am picking myself up off the fence and limping back to the pits :)

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

You guys mis-understood me.

Everyone would like better graphics, me, you, everyone, BUT, the graphics in RFactor 2 are not horrible, just nothing special, they are decent, and in some cases under certain lighting conditions, especially if u max out everything and use supersampling aa, instead of any kind of other forms of aa, pretty darn nice and realistic feeling, without having that over the top, edited film like feel of another game.

What I dont understand is how there are so many threads and complaints regarding graphics.

Sure they are not awesome graphics (generally speaking), but if the physics ad overall gameplay are awesome, then aren't they good enough?????

When I play RFactor 1, or once in a while Netkar pro, or GSC 2012, or sometimes the race 07 series or an updated and modded Richard Burns Rally, I sometimes start sweating, I am concentrating on how I apply the brakes, how I release them, balancing the car mid corner, how setup affects my handling/feel/line etc etc etc etc etc etc etc and doing all that corner after corner, lap after lap, how does needing better graphics affect all that stuff????

The only time I notice crappy visuals is when I start the car in the garage and I'm slowly going down pitroad, and also when I watch replays. Even during replays, the car's physics graphical movements (something ISI has improved on, but I really hope improve much more) are more important in gettin a realistic viewing experience, rather than having more sun flares and more sharper and detailed cement on a wall somewhere on the infield of the track, or having the sun glare off some peice of glass of some irrelevant building that would barley make a difference if it was even there in the first place.

Basically when I'm playing, I play to drive, to race, and i thought thats what sims where for. I play these games to drive, pushing to the limit and using every bit of courage, concentration and hopefully if I have any, skill lol.

When I'm doing all that my brain goes into "pushing the car with all my skill and concentration, while analysing what I am doing with my steering and pedals, and analyzing setup changes, how all that affects my sector times etc etc" mode. So when I am doing that, it makes no difference if a tree is in 2d or 3d, if the grass on the outside looks repetitive, if the crowd of people watching are just pictures but don't actually move.

I mean really guys?? This stuff makes that much of a difference for u guys when you are trying to manage a lap or entire race?

I'm not saying I want to play a game with nintendo 1 graphics, because all I care about is physics, but when they are this "decent" shouldn't anything more just be a bonus?? Rather than worth so many threads and posts and complaints???

Really guys???

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2012
  13. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

i dont care about graphics

14. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Again why we can have the well know rf physics and good graphics? is that too much? can we? we gonna die with that argument "i dont care about graphics" or "I play to drive, to race" or "i dont look at the trees" or "some of you clearly don't get enough enjoyment out of the pure driving part, hence you are so concerned about visuals"? man!!

Rfactor is the most sim/game pc that i ever played in my life, because the feeling, obviously not graphics, so is crazy to ask better the graphics? thats makes me a not pure sim racer? also if someone thinks im slow because i look at the sky, we can check that.

15. Knight of Redemption

I didn't misunderstand, I disagreed, and still disagree with your stance. You are happy, I get that. You are unaffected by the average visuals , I get that. But you did choose to be less than diplomatic about those of us inquiring into the state of the graphics and asking for improvements, and that was wrong of you. There are many times on track when there is time to absorb your surroundings, parade laps, slow corners, long straights to name a few.

So if you are happy with the visuals and see no need for improvement, you have nothing to add to a thread discussing how and what others would like to see improved, and by telling we are wrong to ask for it or are less of a Sim racer because we do, well that is not really productive in any way.

16. tjc

tjc Registered

No Spinelli, we did not miss-understand you at all... you made a comment claiming that because some of us would like to see better graphics in rf2 then we "honestly don`t know what a simulator is, and some of you clearly don`t get enough enjoymentout of the pure driving part, hence you are so concerned about visuals..."

That "some of you" means me as I`m one of the ones that want to see better graphics in rf2 and as I`ve said, I took and take exception to that...

If you don`t think graphics is an important part of a realistic simulator then that`s up to you but don`t tell me (even in a round about way) that I`m not a true sim racer or someone that "does`nt know what a simulator is" just because I want better graphics in sims... that`s offensive.

You also contradict yourself... you say you want better graphics but then go on to say that graphics are`nt important to you when your driving... which is it to be?

My point, and I think the point of several others here that want better graphics is quite simple... it`s 2012 (soon to 2013) so why on earth can`t we have both outstanding, very realistic physics coupled with outstanding, very realistic (but NOT ott) graphics?

If this can`t be achieved in this day and age pc simming has`nt come very far...

I want a very realistic and top drawer sim in rf2 and to me that means good graphics as well as good physics...

And btw, I don`t just want good graphics to look at the sky either except as when Gearjammer say`s, I`m picking myself out of the hedge. :)

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I'm gonna make a controversial post and one I believe is not true but:
    Have ISI got the talent to make exceptional graphics that some of you desire?

It's one thing creating a game, creating physics, creating graphics, but if you don't have the talent in the team then you're never gonna get the very best that some people want. Maybe other developers have better modelers, others have better sound artists, others have better graphical designers. It's all well and good wanting the best, but you have to be realistic and accept that maybe the talent just isn't there at an exceptional level to attain what some desire.

I'm by no means saying ISI are bad or worst of the bunch, they have proven to me that they're good enough to produce high quality cars and tracks, it's just I'm realistic and realize that maybe other companies have better talent in specific other areas.

I find it very hard to believe any one company has the very best of talent in each specific area, sure they may have very good talent but another company may have better....see what I'm getting at?

Again just to reiterate this post is not intended to say ISI lack any talent, before anyone reads it the wrong way!

18. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

I can understand everyone's stance on this to be honest. I get what spinelli is saying, that graphics are not the most important part, but I also get what people like tjc are saying, that graphics are actually important. in addition to the physics

For all of us here, as simulation and racing enthusiasts, physics are the number one thing. We come here to race and have fun. However, graphics are very important as well. Physics might be the "core" of the experience, but graphics do add to realism as well.

Things as simple as tyre smoke, rain effects, reflections, and track details can actually improve the realism of the simulation.

But it is not just about that. You also have to accept that in 2012 there is a minimum of what should be accepted as reasonable graphics. In my opinion, rFactor 2 definitely meets the minimum for 2012, however, it is also falls short in some areas. But on another note, I don't care yet, because it's a beta.

As far as I am concerned, I am playing a sim that is not out yet, almost as if I have got a pirated version that a naughty developer has leaked a year early. So I feel privileged to be trying an unreleased game, and as such, I will not rate it yet. I will merely give feedback to the devs, so they can improve the game before it is released.

The feedback I would give right now is that the simulation first needs to be optimized better, as many people with very good PC's can't run the game well at all. And then there are the ones who do run it very well, and they want better graphics to match their great PC's. This is definitely fair enough! But I think people maybe could be more patient with the graphics side of things, at least don't be hating on ISI until the game is gold.

That's just my take on things. I understand where everyone is coming from, but I think we need to realise we are just beta testers. Pretend you are working for a developer and your job is to give feedback and report problems. That is what we are doing, and that is how we should treat the sim.

I know we paid money for it, so maybe some of you expect better, but you made the choice to pay for the beta, so that you could experience a new sim early, so you can't complain! :)

Kind regards,

Richie.

1 person likes this.
  19. tjc

tjc Registered

In short answer to your post, yes I believe ISI do have the talent to produce top drawer graphics... I see no reason why they would`nt have that talent tbh. I see what your saying and I know your not slagging ISI with your post but I think they could show us the graphics we want as long as they want to... they have the talent and the engine has the capabilities afaik so yes is my answer. :)

20. tjc

tjc Registered

First off richie I completely accept that what I bought into was a sim in development... a beta software that would have lots of bugs and problems... run good on some pc`s and not so good on others.

I have no problems with that and actually enjoy testing the software and contributing to the process.

I for one, am certainly not rating rf2 as of yet as that would be pretty stupid and I`m perfectly happy to give my feedback to the devs as that`s what we`re here for after all...

I also accept the graphics as they are atm purely because this is, as has been said, beta software.

Those of us that are asking for better graphics are not saying we want them next build or that they are more important than anything else realted to the sim`s development. We`re simply hoping that at some point, when ISI feel it`s right, that better graphics will come along... nobody as far as I`m aware is "hating" ISI in any way mate...

I did pay money for this sim in development yes but I knew what I was getting into when I did that and have no complaints. That does`nt mean I can`t say what I`d like to see implemented in the sim though and I will say what I`d like to see happen with rf2 and that`s not complaining... :)

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.