Windows 8 and RF2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grubby, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Exactly what I don't want to have!
    +1 mate ;)

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I think we been shafted. lol

Giving you W8 for $14 after paying $500 for Retail Ultimate is just a slap in the face.

So what .......I now subsidize pimply faced uboobers on tablets. ? hehehe

3. Yarach

Yarach Registered

XD Wish that was the answer. Both are Full HD :p

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

@CRN

lmao :p what do you expect for 58 bucks :rolleyes:

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Only indication on the box is "VUP" on the label. Pretty badly done really...

6. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Think MS is trying to make sales with misleading boxes?

7. 88mphTim

Either that, or just wanted to make boxes that don't give a good explanation. The wording on them is pretty bad. "...can upgrade..." is not a legally binding couple of words... "upgrade" would have worked fine.

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

When W8 Beta was released overwhelmingly it " is smoother , faster, sims look better ". ...yeah, that was just because 90% of people don't take into account the difference a fresh OS makes.

Personally I never saw across all baseline test I ran, still I would have been happy to upgrade ( to full version of course ) as long as they got rid of that damn awful start screen.

When I install W7 fresh first thing I do is turn off every service and program know to man.
    Then I turn off EVERY windows feature in Programs, NetFrame too.
    Then I pin calculator to the start menu
    Then I delete the entire user/all user Startmenu.
    Now my W7 is nothing but a calculator shortcut.
    That is my ideal place to start building a Sim OS.

So knowing this is where I start with W7 you can understand why I have no interest in W8.

My advice is per 1st post, W8 runs fine in virtually everything, if you use social and devices and like Mac apps type stuff most certainly grab it.
    Still, block worn W7 SSD wants a zero-write first not a upgrade in any case.

My bet is down the track maybe Christmas they will release a full version with proper packaging.
    I can't see them throwing that market away, if they do for one they have lost me , I will never use upgrades, messy.

P.S. Oh yeah tell me if I am wrong.
    To disable Metro you can use one of about 4 methods all but one involves hacking OS
    one is clunky and the other needs re-setting at start-up.

The only app that does gets rid of Metro 100% you have to buy ! lol

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2012
  9. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Not sure about "hacking" but you can edit the registry to turn the Metro interface off, or at least you could in the build I was using. I do have to warn you though. Turning off the Metro interface doesn't disable any of the other annoying habits of Windows 8 such as not fully shutting down programs you close and things like that.

10. 88mphTim

But on the flipside, the task manager is nice now to shut them down. ;)

11. djt

djt Registered

I just recently bought a couple of copies of Windows 8 Pro 64 to test against Windows 7 64/SP1. Boot up and shut down are significantly faster than Windows 7 and game performance (I haven’t installed rFactor2 on Win8 yet) is about the same (on back to back clean installs of both OS’s using the latest drivers). If Windows 8 gets improvements to Direct X 11.1 and then later Direct X 12 that Microsoft keeps from Windows 7 then obviously Windows 8 will eventually take the performance lead and the cycle will go on.

The Metro UI takes a little getting used to (not a fan) but after a lot of experience with XBOX 360‘s dash board it’s not hard to pick up.

One thing that MS improved on with Windows 8 is adding new functionality while coming up with ways to reduce the memory consumed by existing functionality and the amount used across the board. I have seen tests where Windows 8 is consuming almost half of the memory Windows 7 is using at idle.From what I’ve read they’ve actually taken memory management to another level with Windows 8.

Memory combining, service start on demand and prioritization of memory allocations are just a few of some of the features that I’ve read about in Windows 8.

Here’s some improvements made compared to Windows 7 -

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/...celerating-everything-windows-8-graphics.aspx

There are already significant improvements in hardware utilization with Windows 8 that probably could have been included in a service pack 2 for Windows 7 but I wouldn’t be surprised if Microsoft keeps them from Win7 in order to get everyone on the band wagon with Windows 8.

I personally could care less, if the situation gets that bad for us mouse and keyboard jockey’s then more power to Linux.

Valve has already taken steps to prepare for this -

http://venturebeat.com/2012/10/29/va...mes-windows-8/

http://steamforlinux.com/

12. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered