Windows 8 and RF2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grubby, Oct 27, 2012.

1. fobban

fobban Registered

I have a G27 wheel and run rF2 on Windows 8. I installed the Logitech drivers in Win7 compability mode and everything works fine.

2. yoghurt

yoghurt Registered

Thx.
    Ok, I will try this tomorrow.

3. Yarach

Yarach Registered

So I just installed Windows 8. Everything works perfect. I just had to re-activate the game. That is all.

4. TurboGigi

TurboGigi Registered

I solved it by uninstalling and reinstalling.
    Has created some error in the transition from Windows 7 to Windows 8.

5. Grubby

Grubby Registered

ok after reading all your post I decided to still install Win 8, what's the worst that could happen I would have to revert back using my backup image.
    Everything worked well except the Logitech Profiler, it wouldn't open correctly, kept saying unable to detect any gaming hardware or something like that (couldn't detect wheel).
    I uninstalled the profiler and reinstalled, before I ran the setup file I went into the properties for that file and selected run as admin and compatibility mode for Win 7. It installed no problem at all and found the wheel straight away.
    Open RF2 and the Logitech profiler and I have full control over my steering as I did prior to Win 8.

Very happy here, all works perfect.

Thanks everyone.

6. Spadge

Spadge Registered

Good enough for me :)

Thanks Grubby,

7. yoghurt

yoghurt Registered

Uninstalling and reinstalling the Logitech software solved the problem for me, too.

8. elbo

elbo Registered

My win8 intall worked good. The sli still does not give any benefits but it didn't under win7 either.
    My only problem is i am using an srw-s1 wheel bolted to a g27 and now under win8 it has assigned contoller 1 to the srw-s1 and controller 2 to the g27. I'd like to have that the other way with the g27 being contoller 1.
    If any one knows how to swap that i would greatly appreciate.

9. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

I run it without issues. Win 8 x64.

10. I'm on W7 x64 for a good time now and won't upgrade to W8 since the core hasn't improved that much! It's just graphically different! And I'm an iPhone user so... ;)

11. Yarach

Yarach Registered

Well actually the code is rewritten in big parts. The DirectX in Win8 is almost twice as fast as in Win7 for example.

Here are the results: Both are done on a clean install with an HD7850 OC Edition.
    PLABenchmark

On Windows 8
    View attachment 4515

On Windows 7
    View attachment 4516

12. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

All of that is bull.... DirectX in Windows 8 is NOT twice as fast as Windows 7. The differences between them are a couple of percent sometimes for former OS other times for latter OS. Especially in gaming the differences are minor.
    See review here:
    http://www.techspot.com/review/561-windows8-vs-windows7/

13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I actually thought Windows 8 was pretty nice. But I can't use it as my OS. Main reason being that if I start an app from the start menu which is built for W8, it opens in the start process, but if I want to do something on the desktop, I can't access the app there. Typical example would be Skype, which needs a desktop app and a Start app, or the browser, which you can't move and keep the session. I think the OS performance was fine, but the lack of shared processes and sessions made the start screen useless, so I effectively lost the start menu.

14. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Yeah... I agree. On my HTPC or a tablet the interface works. It's probably OK for my sim rig PC too as all I need are shortcuts to TeamSpeak, iRacing and rF1 mods (though I won't upgrade that system there's no point, performance-wise).

Where I know I'll hate W8 is on my development box and the VMs I use for testing. I'm pretty well chained to a workflow using the Start Menu especially with pinned shortcuts and MRU flyout lists. Fumbling around with Metro and the desktop last night, I felt like an elderly man trying to understand a smartphone. :D

15. That makes me believe with some conviction that W7 is the last real desktop version! I'm not a fan at all of that metro style/process! I have the feeling not to control 100% my computer anymore!
    So LONG LIVE to W7! ;)

16. Yarach

Yarach Registered

Strange. So how come the performance (and not only this benchmark) is almost twice as high on Windows 8???
    I am getting confused :p

17. Ricoo

Ricoo Registered

The screen resolution is not the same... :rolleyes:

18. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yeah, I don't see any which are that much better. A little bit, yeah, but not that much.

19. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

Not sure if I understand correctly but I if you start the browser from the desktop it will stay on the desktop - exactly the same as in Windows 7. Probably the same goes also for all other applications. Also Alt-Tab still works so you can always access all applications.
    And there appears to be a quite a few start menu replacements, some are free some are not (like Start8 from Stardock).
    List of replacements:
    http://www.ghacks.net/2012/10/09/whats-the-best-windows-8-start-menu-program/

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

It is not 1/2 percent faster !@! more baloney ;)

Most are that close you can't split them. IE: LESS then 1 FPS

At the very most it is 1/2 fps in some games , in others it loses by a frame.

Here is a decent compare with 20 games, knock yourself out.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Microsoft/Windows_8_Graphics_Performance/5.html

What is W8 a worn out last generation OS with a half arsed app bolted to it that dictates the way you use it.

Gee no wonder they are selling it for 14 bucks lol .... me they would have to pay to use it.

Touch screen, ipad, community gobbly gook got no right near a sim tower.