Car reflections work, rims don't

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Tim Bennett, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Tim Bennett

Tim Bennett Registered

I've searched the forums and the tuts and just can't seem to find a specific answer to my issue.

On my main WCCARBODY setup like the tutorial, my car reflections work fine.

For my rims, i want to just use a cubemap add alpha reflect, blend is at 35%, alpha is correct on the dds itself.

I've tried exporting with and without live mapper checked (when checked i used REFMAP0), i've tried 1,2, and 4 for the mapping channels of the cubemap. I pulled the rf2 cubemap to try that as well.

No matter what i try, my rims have 0 reflection at all. Any ideas?

2. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I believe your rim texture needs alpha channel where white color represents maximum reflection and black no reflection. If you don't have alpha channel, I believe it uses it as black.

3. Tim Bennett

Tim Bennett Registered

It does, but i think it's my environment, what appeared to be my reflection on the carbody must have been specular, i just loaded up a different skin that has a chromed out skull on it and it's not reflecting. I'll have to track down joesville and see if it all works. Thanks for the reply Johannes.

4. Johannes Rojola

Yes if you have custom track that doesn't have environmental reflections set up then your cars won't have reflections. Joesville however should work correctly in this aspect.

5. Tim Bennett

Tim Bennett Registered

I've got more issues then i thought. My rims still don't work, but i could see reflection easily on my car, except for the parts i had almost white to reflect like chrome, they were still flat with no reflection. I went to edit my alpha channel to see if i could make it react differently, i saved it out and it turned my entire car all greytones.

View attachment 4450

It's been a while since i messed with rf2, but i didn't have these kinds of issues before, i'm on the latest plugins and coreshaders.

6. Tim Bennett

Tim Bennett Registered

Greyscale issue was because i was still saving out of DXT 5NM, but my issues are still there, here are my material setups, am i don't something wrong? Maybe something i'm missing on export that needs checked?

It's odd because on black you can see the reflection almost perfectly how i have it setup, but other area's where i've tried to create more reflection are just dull. Along with the rims still not working.

View attachment 4451
    View attachment 4452

7. RMachucaA

RMachucaA Registered

Dont hesitate to try out other materials, i've had some decent results with bump cube spec map T1.

8. Johannes Rojola

Odd, seems normal to me. Try change the cube blend to 100%. In general, you will see reflections much stronger in dark areas than in white areas so you dont need to worry that so much :)

9. Tim Bennett

Tim Bennett Registered

My issue in in the grey and white areas my alpha channel is white, to give a reflective and chrome look. It's like it's not reading the alpha on the skin. I'll try some different mats on the rims and see what i come up with.

10. Tim Bennett

Tim Bennett Registered

I've tried multiple material settings and i cannot get the rims to take good reflections. I got them to take a tiny tiny bit of refelction but it's barely noticeable.

Is there something i need to check on export so it uses the REFMAP0 ?

11. Tim Bennett

Tim Bennett Registered

Scratch that, it all of a sudden started working out of nowhere with the same export lol, who knows.