Damage Control

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mjmueller, Oct 23, 2012.

1. mjmueller

mjmueller Registered

Hello,

I think it's time for ISI to issue some damage control. Modding groups are jumping left and right. The absolute lack of response, or generic beta response might not be working anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge rFactor Fanboy, but these little updates, or updates with no content are really getting old. We all understood this was a beta & that it would take time, but we also spent our money in hopes we would actually see something progress.

CDTP, Enduracers, etc. all thinking about jumping ship. This is a real concern to me, & ISI should be concerned as well.

Hope this turns around,

MJ

2. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

whatever...

3. RMachucaA

RMachucaA Registered

4. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Same from Wix i.e the WSGT team on that very page, shame. I hope ISI can give these guys something to inspire them again. It is afterall supposed to be a beta for modders to get a handle on

"Reading this, i totally understand what you mean.
    For us work on the WSGT2 has stalled to a slow tempo for exact the same reasons. Keeping motivation up the way things are evolving is very hard for the four of us.

I am still an ISI fan, but i can sense the modding community is holding its horses till the release of AC. and to be honnest, so do we.

Keep the fait. CTDP just has to stay alive."

5. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

They do realize this is a beta program right? Did these dev teams have access to rFactor1 when it was in beta?

6. RMachucaA

RMachucaA Registered

Beta= Content\features finished, everything is final and bug testing is the main priority.

Alpha= Content\features not finished, everything is wip such as shaders\models\settings etc.

People where expecting a beta when in reality what we are using is an alpha (less so lately, builds are getting more polished and closer to beta for sure).

1 person likes this.
  7. gpfan

gpfan Registered

Yes they are but as you said this is not a beta, never was, sadly i'm more convinced that they misslead everyone when they anounced this beta, test version as Gjon said.

I always love ISI work but the way they doing things right now will damage the future of RF2, less quality content from top Team modders, that means less quality overall!!! We are seeing gold being postnoted month after month, and no light To the end of the tunel....

8. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

I think you are over-reacting a tad. It's a game; development never goes according to plan.

9. gpfan

gpfan Registered

I quoted with Machuca post because He knows how things are done and is true, this is not a beta, this a alpha development stage!

The only thing i'm telling they could start from the Begining maybe everyone would be expecting less from them!!!

10. hushypushy

hushypushy Registered

What a bunch of whiners.

If ISI had not decided to do the open beta, we still wouldn't have a finished version of rF2 by this point.

And what does that mean? It means that modders, regardless of ISI's actions, would still be waiting anyway.

So what's with all the whining about the state of rF2? You should be glad you even get a chance to see this software at all.

Although, every day I care less and less about mods. For example, I'm not sure why I would care about CTDP's attempt at making an open wheeler, when rF2 already comes with the FR3.5, F2, and F1. And only the very very best, the top 0.01% of all track mods, can even hold a candle to the official content; the old rF style of glass-smooth track surfaces, low-res textures, and 2D "tree walls" just does not hold up anymore.

The next generation of sims (rF2, AC, etc) will either force a dramatic increase in the quality of mods, or ensure their obsolescence.

11. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Well i think the point is initailly this was billed as a testing beta for modders and mod teams to get a glance and learn the ropes with the new software. The beta was initially set out for a certain time frame and that has elapsed. While that has elapsed these teams in that time feel like nothing really has changed and feel like they have not really learnt anything regarding the new software that helps them do what they want to do or they feel whatever they do, do, next update something comes up that completely messes up everything and it's back to square one. If they have not got the tools they need then how are they supossed to prepare.I think it's fair enough from them tbh and don't consider it whining.

The mod scene is rFactors2's blood basically. Without it, it's just not going to work. A team like CTDP coming out like this should be a wake up call IMO.

12. blakboks

blakboks Registered

The problem is that now that we have rF2 in our hands, we can't go back to rF1. Whereas, before we could've just kept on keepin' on with rF1, being none-the-wiser as to what lays ahead. Plus, with AC (supposedly) going mod-centric, it's sounding like it's the first time that ISI has had any 'real' competition for modders. Sure, other games 'could' be modded, but there really weren't any that had that capability actually 'designed' into it.

FWIW, IMO, ISI either announced/released too early, or took too long after the announcement/release to develop the software to the point that modders are happy, and now potentially have to work to get the modders back on their side (as the OP is suggesting). If they 'don't care' about modders turning away (not that they've indicated this so far, though), then what's the point of going through all the (presumably) extra work to make the software open.

The flip side to that, though, is that tracks, at least, are by and large just content, and should be pretty easy to convert from AC to rF2 and vice versa (assuming the modder has the original files).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2012
  13. Golly

Golly Registered

100% agree with you blakboks, I think for a "modders release" so to speak it was not showing its true capability for modders to work with. I would have been more than happy to see pretty screenies of what is to come rather than have it and not be satisfied considering what I paid for it. I think the modders release should of waited until all was able to be modified with all it's features for modders. Hind site is a wonderful thing though....Saying this, the latest build is getting better and it looks like fun times ahead for leaguers. Hopefully with development, modders get that same opportunity to create beauty for RF2, cause RF1 was a raging success due to the modding community. I believe the community will be swamped with such art once gold, its just the wait and disappointment like taking candy from a baby feel that modders are going through at the moment. Life evolves, people move on, real life takes priority, new talents will arrise and I believe groups will either reform or new groups will pop up. It's easy to talk the Mrs into getting more PC time to produce the mod that everyone is eagerly awaiting haha, but without the tools and drive real life takes a strangle hold lmao! "What do ya mean I cant spend 8hrs straight researching skins and textures baby? What.... you want dishes done ?" lmao!!

14. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Personally, I had stopped playing rf1 more than a year before rf2s release and had turned to other sims. Since then (release), Im amost everyday online and Im having a wonderfull time.
    If we had it your way, ISI forum would be full of incredible posts, like "I want it NOW, WHY it takes so long, GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE".
    I really cannot understand how people forget so easily the incredible pressure ISI had a year ago, to "release something, anything" (thats a quote from those days).

As for the modders, as much respect and gratefulness I have for their work and offering to the community, I cannot really accept OPs tone
    with hints "do it my way or Im leaving".
    Thats not what Im used to from the modding community, sorry.

15. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Not sure if this makes sense or if is obvious but just for fun I am wondering would it would have been like if ISI did a three phase release something like phase one is getting rf2 ready for and only what needs to be ready for (I.e. only example content like rtrainer) modders and only modders to test. Phase two is modders testing by creating mods and giving feedback and ISI incorporating. Phase 3 modders only release with no content and true mod development by modders with focused support from ISI. Phase 4 is general release with kick ass only modder content like feels3 tracks and Historix 2.0. Wouldn't THAT be cool? Having Feels3 and Historix teams be part of overall initial general release standing together at the launch party with hot chicks everywhere and......... Sorry I digress :p

16. Tiago Guerreiro

Tiago Guerreiro Registered

This is all about ISI lack of communication guys!!! Modding teams want to hear some statment from them, the beta was suposted to be 6 months and we are already almost 1 year on beta without knowing what going to happen!!!!!.....

Comunication guys!!!!

17. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

Essentially what you are reading here is a few folks crying very loudly to mommy and daddy - - I WANT I WANT I WANT AND I WANT NOW NOW NOW - - WAAAAAAA!

1 person likes this.
  18. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

However you name it, we have rights to do it.
    So go away and don't disturb.

BTW: have you noticed that in most areas rf2 is step back comparing to latest version of rF1 (damage, replays)? And excepting of a few new features like RealRoad, new tires and some improvement in gfx engine, game design does remain unchanged (I mean controllers support, replays mechanics, sound). It looks like rf2 is built on rf1 base and suffers from this a lot.
    After year of public testing rf2 didn't even reach the rf1 level regarding playability/stability/features. I'm not sure is everything ok with this project.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2012
  19. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Not that I agree with everything u are saying but ISI was indeed very vague to ISR about whether engine was new. They said something like "it's code" or something like that. U can look up interview but I was indeed let down. Having said all that I do not believe the Spark F1 would be possible in rf1.

20. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

I'd have to disagree with you on the "features" bit. rF2 has twice as many features as rF1 did. RealRoad, Dynamic weather, Dynamic track surface, visible tire wear, incredibly improved tire model, incredibly improved AI, incredibly improved physics, incredibly improved FFB, Animations that weren't there before, built in mod manager, and I'm sure there are others I have missed. Some of those are just improved from the previous Sim, but I would consider those features.

rF2 is revolutionary and I think once it evolves a bit more it's going to be THE Sim.