rfactor 2 Car models and lighting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FONismo, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

It's an interesting point u make (2 me at least, b/c I'm not sure if it is obvious or generally accepted) that there are only a handful of good modders. I never thought of it that way and thought about how this impacts the overall strategy by ISI. When I think about it, I can count on one hand the mods that stand out in rf1 as above the rest and in fact some are so good that it has influenced me to drive types of cars that I normally would not be interested in. So yeah it is interesting to think about how this will be in the future and for ISI and AC. For example, will everything change to DLC model with only the good stuff being released from third parties? I guess not since AC has embraced opening up to modders. It will be fun to watch it unfold over the coming years.

2. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

+1 I am going to have to call in sick when Historx 2.0 comes out. One of only a handful if worthwhile mods for rf1 IMO.

3. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

HistorX 2.0 is made for RF2 so dont expect it before Gold.

4. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

There may only be a "handful" of modders that are good currently, but the future may bring a lot more. It really all depends on what society produces and if the right people get motivated to do things for the sim. There will always be artists, modelers and engineers, but finding them and convincing them that a specific sim is a worthwhile platform to show off their abilities is something else entirely.

5. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Lets not loose sight of the fact that despite these debates on the topic, ISI set the best possible foundation for a serious and long-lived sim.

I'm no genie fortune-teller, but my bet is on seeing very little improvement to the graphics department overall. Simply because it's not their primary focus, they are a small team, what they have done for graphics I think is just sufficient for today's gaming graphics (modders can be expected to take it further). Time is money, money is time....you either know a little about alot, or a lot about a little.....jack of all trades, master of none. You get the jist.

For ISI to come out serving me a racing sim instead of a racing game which is a niche market, i can't really complain too harshly since I feel as if I'm still receiving the better part of the deal tbh.

6. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Again same argument :(
    First of all why we should care about team size? We pay for product, and product quality is what we are interested in.
    Second, is it really hard to hire one or two persons more who do the gfx job better, faster?

If ISI's goal is to write only genius physics engine, then they should do it, and sell it to another companies which would add gfx and sfx values. But ISI wants to release the title to end user as far as I know.

7. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Selling the physics engine on does not necessarily mean someone else would create an rF2 with better graphics. You would loose sight of ISI's vision, which encompasses the product as a whole.

When you buy a physics engine, it's not simply plug and play as well. The development process is dynamic and evolutionary, something not possible with others dictating deadlines and requirements at you. That's what happens to 90% of games when your not your own boss. It's a trade-off, one that i am willing to accept in the event that game play is much much better at the cost of graphics (but to a point! and each to their own in this regard).

8. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

ok, but today, after 4 years of development (or at least announcement), we have no modern gfx as well as no new single feature finished. So what trade-off you are talking about?

And again: I, as a customer, don't care about behind the scene processes. I can see (or rather can't) the result. With your definition, ISI may work on sim next 5 years being not pushed by anybody and release outdated already product (theoretically). But it wouldn't be good for us as well as for ISI. I just expect quality but what is quality doday, tomorrow will not. What was nice 5 years ago, today it's outdated. And there is no reason to accept it or at least to not talk about it. Time is pushing.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2012
  9. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Just because same arguement does it make it not valid?

Maybe you should run a consulting business since you seem to know all the answers.

Seriously, you spent $80 here? Where I'm from that is not even a nights out entertainment. Instead of spewing your same old arguement why don't you move on to something else? Your constant complaining and instigating is clearly trolling at this point in time. Clearly you're not happy with the product and you've had it since January, February? I hope you do know that if this was pCars Ian Bell would have banned you from these forums a long time ago just like the OP of this thread was.

10. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

+1

Enough is enough. You don't like, don't use it.

11. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I don't currently.
    But having no A class Mercedess, doesn't mean we cannot talk about moose test it failed.
    At the end I'm talking with some people, not even with ISI which again is mute like a fish. Yes, i expected some reaction,a few words about what they planning to do with graphics in near future or so. but I'm not even disappointed. It's predictable.

12. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

The trade-off of having vision of how to make a great product (as earlier said, knowing what should be the main focus and doing it with excellency). However, there are a number of problems with being so small a company and producing a product (racing sim) for such a small portion of the PC genre that's not all that profitable. My guess is that it has a lot to do with passion for racing sims and with so little expected net profits from such a genre, all the more reason to be your own boss/publisher.

I also don't think 4 years is that long a time from the point of announcement to now. I don't wish to presume to know when it's going to go gold, but my guess is not long, a year at most. The difference is, i pretty much consider the product as gold right now. Yes it's beta, yes it has bugs, but no other game produces a beta with this little number of bugs during that stage of development and has the confidence to make it 100% accessible to anyone in the public.

It all comes down to practicality and being realistic. With what ISI has at their disposal, i think they are making the right choices. My only hope is that they'll have enough steam left to up the ante on their graphics later down the line.

4 years since announcement should not be mistaken for 4 years spent on a beach. Well, not unless you have photographic proof of guilt :p

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2012
  13. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

BTW I have good news. ISI reads our posts.
    Doesn't matter that they give negative reps for any single post I wrote... but maybe it's worth the price ;)

14. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Hilarious, we are playing democracy in an dictatorship. 2 groups battle each others arguments and in the end ISI decides on their own. (More or less) and I think it is good that way.

This, of course, is just my observation from the last pages. No grading...

15. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

What would be really hilarious, would be me letting you, run my bussiness or my life.
    I accept your critisism or comments (up to the point of them being rude), but following them, well...

16. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Ideas, good or bad, described in short or long need to be shared/expressed/heard. You never know, a really good idea may only present itself out of every 1 of 1,000 but if you never spent time to listen in the first place, you would never hit that 1,000th suggestion that could possibly really make a difference to your game, sometimes even a "make or break" component. The devil is in the detail! :roll eyes:

And there is no such thing as true democracy anyway. :D

17. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Well as I said it wasn't meant to be rude in any way. It was just my feeling. It looks like the community itself isn't sure what to do best/next. So it is good Gjon has his plan and keeps going. :D

18. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

True.

Unfortunately the original plan/target/unrealistic hope was for the beta to end approximately 4 months ago. This has not happened, and there is no sign of the sim going gold anytime soon.

So my reading is, things are not going according to plan.

19. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Are we ever going to get back to the subject of car models & lighting?

20. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Sounds good. Did an image of the real bt20, the rf2 rendition and iracing's 49. At least something to talk about.

Sure the rf2 car is missing many bolts and shaders. What else?

Image5.jpg