Warming up tires at low speeds = crash (Clio)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTFREAK, Oct 18, 2012.

1. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

I have a hard time believing that this is intended behavior. I ran a race yesterday with the Clio at Mills. Decided to do the pace lap and was warming up my tires (have no idea if that even works). While moving from side to side quickly I noticed that the Clio was very unstable. So much so that it felt like I could crash the car at any second, and then it happened. I wasn't going very fast at all, maybe 45-50 mph at most. All of this happens with the default setup.

It just felt like the rear end was extremely light and could swing around way too easily. The car has this behavior in races as well, but I imagine that's just how the car is. At low speeds it shouldn't be THAT unstable.

Anyone else get this behavior at low speeds? Do you feel it's unstable?

On a side note: Damn this Clio is so much fun to drive!

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

40-50mph is quite fast, and with a fairly tall car like the Clio, you have to remember the weight transfer you are asking the car to cope with. Stiff suspension, cold tires and a lack of rubber on the track won't help, either. Cars aren't setup to go that fast, and weave like that... Think of the hairpins at Monaco, then think how slow you go. :) I'd go with driver error on this one...

3. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Not sure if this will help you at all but I find most of the default setups have too high steering lock. I usually lower it by 3 or 4 clicks at least.

4. smithaz

smithaz Registered

To warm tyres I just throw it into corners a bit more aggressively and over turn while cornering, maybe let it oversteer a bit for the rears. The clios are easy to spin while weaving I think because they oversteer if u let off the throttle.

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

That might be a good point... They probably will be more stable if you keep the same amount of throttle down while turning.

6. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

It's not as if I was purposely throwing the car around in an attempt to crash. Weaving the car at those speeds should be absolutely possible imo. When I say weaving, I don't mean a time trial with cones set up. I mean moving the car back and forth gently. You can definitely feel how unstable the vehicle is.

Again, this might be working as intended, and that's why I asked for others to comment.

7. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

I completely agree with you. The default steering lock is just too much for most of the cars I tried. I always tend to turn it down. I noticed a huge difference when turning by just doing this.

8. jtbo

jtbo Registered

With Cup car it probably should be much much worse because of tires which are more grippy but probably also more sensitive to weight and other changes to car.

Do you think it could be just that?

9. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

I'm going to try and replicate this to see what your talking about, to me the tyre warming seems completely broken/unfinished still so I don't bother.

10. Axly

Axly Registered

In the final race in the modsport class here in Sweden, a modified Porsche Boxter on wide slicks spun off at low speed while weaving/warming tires that he could do nothing but pack up for the weekend (rear wheel cracked)
    This is a very skilled driver (2'nd in the series at that point) and in a purpose built racecar, nowhere near a Clio... Just saying it only take a small mistake, even at low speed, no matter the car or driver, and in a tall Clio.. ;)

11. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Yes, the Clio is quite tall for it's overall size.

I do agree with Tim (only this one time) that it's more than likely human error. However, I do think that physics in general still need work. That goes for all cars. I'm sure they know this.

12. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Yes, it's a little of that of course. However, it's much harder to do that when accelerating as I was. However, this car is really prone to oversteer right off the bat, so it's more to do with the fact that I don't have the car set up correctly than anything else.

I'm sure I can correct this behavior to a certain point with a good setup or two, but I know it won't completely go away.

13. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

An interesting point for me was the option to let rFactor 2 automatically set your steering wheel range depending on the car you choose. So far it was spot on for me with all official cars and their default steering lock. The Clio has a very high steering wheel range, therefore the steering lock is pretty high as well.

It's a very nice feature in my opinion to get the original steering behaviour of the real life counterpart. :)

14. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

What I like about the Clio is the fact that you can actually feel what the front end is doing. When I stomp on the gas, the front end get's light. When I shift gears, the steering jerks. I have never felt any FFB in any game that compares to rF2 and that's saying a lot because there are some good FFB Sims out there.

I don't think the FFB is perfect, especially on some cars (as I've been saying in other threads) but I feel that they are definitely headed in the right direction. I still feel other cars need a lot of work.

15. clock

clock Registered

i agree with you, clios give one of the best ffb info and feeling that i never had in any other sim....

16. martymoose

martymoose Registered

This is the best warm up crash Ive ever seen, this one was due to lack of skill but the guy can drive just sucks at warming the tyres on the warmup lap lol.

17. tjc

tjc Registered

Ooops...

:p

18. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Big oops!!

I've seen that happen is other series as well. You almost feel sorry for them. :D