Jarama 1979 by Motorfx

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Mauro, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

Thank you for this new release ! :)
    This track is ok for me, no FFB trouble (I use G25 wheel).
    As Guy Moulton says above, I know motorFX's work because I've raced on lots of his tracks.
    So even if those tracks are not all perfect (we are talking here about wip tracks), your are the only one who gives us new content for rfactor2 for the moment, so Keep up the great work !

2. TurboGigi

TurboGigi Registered

I do not agree.
    I do not think that there are just content (tracks and cars) just to make up the numbers. In this way you will ruin quality of rFactor2.
    Better if there are fewer tracks and fewer cars but with higher quality.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2012
  3. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Ok, I had a closer look and track polygons are detached from each other as I suspected.

When you take a closer look you can even see thin gaps in road where polygons are supposed to be connected.

So it's another typical quick-conversion issue.

Others (apart from things I mentioned before) include:
    - shadows popping up right in front of camera
    - fences casting solid shadows
    - some dominant objects not casting shadows
    - missing polygons on buildings
    - flat shading of continous surfaces (ground, barriers)
    - smooth shading of flat surfaces (billboards)
    - improper lighting of trees (literally random)
    - no reflections on road, buildings, cars
    - no support for night racing (no objects react to headlights illumination, stock ISI cars looking weird)

And that's only after 5 minutes with this track...

I don't mind conversions or tracks that don't have very good looks. If better versions will be made, they will replace simplier versions.
    But at least some care should be put into it. Tracks should be up to minimum standards before being released. Unfortunately this Jarama is just a "minimal effort" kind of conversion.

Many people will surely enjoy it and have fun driving around Jarama, since it has nice layout, but I'm not one of them.
    I do understand not everyone has passion and talent to do textures like feels3 does. I do understand not everyone has the knowledge to get animated corner workers or new rF2 vegetation technology to work. I do understand not everyone has the time to put more details into the scene. And I do understand how much work it is.

Although these are more up to will than ability, I really don't mind if such, let's call him "less experienced" person makes a track. I'm sure people will still enjoy it and appreciate it even if I'm not one of these people.

But we should at least have the heart to make something more than a mass production. Stick to one track, experiment, learn - I don't think it's good to release one after another like that.

You don't have to be feels3, you don't have to make a track with quality of Croft or Putnam Park. And if you lack knowledge or experience but want to make a track - ask, learn, read, take your time - but get it right.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mauro

Mauro Registered

so, this is the cause of Force Feedback problems.
    tk for you feedback.

for me in this early beta period grafic isn't much important, but driving sensations are the most important aspect.

so, this is a great problem in this motorfx's circuits.
    I hope in future reworked versions.

5. tjc

tjc Registered

I agree also K Szczech... I`m not knocking motorfx and I know your not either but I do think that tracks should be up to a certain standard before they are released, even as a "first" version. I also appreciate that these tracks are an "early" release (for want of a better word) and that they will get the attention they deserve to improve them but as much as I agree that it`s all about driving feel in many ways I do like my image quality too...

If this is a learning process for motorfx as far as rf2 is concerned then that`s fine, I`ve no problem with that at all as we all have to learn and the tracks he`s doing are certainly better (waaay better lol) than I could do but I like my image quality too much to not notice these things at present.

One other thing I`d like to say is this:

As much as I`m blown away by feels3`s track work (and I really mean that) I think the ISI released tracks (Spa, Monaco, Monza etc) are just as good if not better in some ways. Each have their own set of qualities imo but I think it`s wrong (and probably a little hurtful imo) to say that his tracks are the best out there...

feels3 is an exceptionally talented track maker in every way but I think the ISI guys are just as talented and they are doing it for a living... if I was making tracks I`d try to get a standard that encompassed both ISI`s skill sets and feels3`s.

They are both to be looked up to imho. :)

---

I`d just like to add that I`m not being unappreciative of the work both feels3 and motorfx and others are doing on the tracks side of things... their work is very much appreciated and we would obviously have less tracks to drive on if it wasn`t for them. It`s just that I think a little more appreciation should be shown or mentioned to the ISI guys who also make fantastic tracks imo. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

I think there is too much "feels3" in this thread .

I did only two tracks so far and I'm still learning. It's just my first step in modding and I appreciate that you like my tracks but calling me as a benchmark (I read this in few threads) is big overstatement.

7. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

We could refer to VLM instead, but it's better to show what one person can do, if he has the will.

Not that big :)

Yes, maybe your tracks are not as good as they possibly could be - I can see a lot of things that could be done better. As I'm sure you do, too.
    But that's mainly because you left some features out for later. When the time is right, you can improve your tracks, but for the time being, what you did is just about right for current rF2 engine state.

People often take many shortcuts in their work, because they're aiming for the easiest and quickest way of doing things. You don't take such shortcuts. You work on your tracks piece by piece, feature by feature.

That kind of approach is something we would like to see more often, so in that way - "sorry man", but you are a benchmark :) Appreciate the modesty, though :)

1 person likes this.
  8. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Your and ISI's creations are ranked as high quality tracks in my personal scale - like it or not. :) And that's the quality I'll demand for finished "products".

I just hope you're able to continue modding more awesome tracks and keep your enthusiasm/motivation up.

9. tjc

tjc Registered

Well you are doing very good work feels3 so that has to be complimented and will be.

The fact that these tracks are your first step into modding (I think) is quite amazing really and deserves the credit you get. Glad you said what you did above though as it shows youv`e taken my comments and opinions the way they were meant.

Btw... I also appreciate the modesty.

:)

10. tjc

tjc Registered

This deserves a big +1 K Szczech. Well put. :)

11. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I like the driving sensation in this track(I made some run with Clio) and I have a good ffb but the overall graphics quality is from the prehistory!
    Ps:there is no one online,so I' playing offline lately:(

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I agree with most everyone I can see the points of view.

First off I wish people would delete their old mods from manager and/or remove from server.

We should have a standard 1960's mirrors mod to download.

Abriel's torrent could be taken a step further by using more torrents...
    This is going to be a important part to rF2 imo

So to start
    One for all official builds and packages (rather then 10 seperate torrents)
    One for tracks which is spot on as is.
    One for any add-on content people want to submit for uploading.

These torrents could be further divided when needed

ie: the more individual torrents you have the less downtime whilst upating.

( all permission no rips of course )

I be willing to help anyway possible.

On the track FF jolt I have turned my PCW back up to 1.00 and on Jarama and the others
    and they still feel great although I pulled a 10" g clamp loose from board holding wheel. lopl

On quality ...for me it is already there ? the garages, fences look real at speed, the buildings...the skies and horizons and backdrops and trees and whatever else will come.

I still can't get over the big signage at Monza and Spa and the construction. lol

And the old circuit paths, the 2 hairpins at Stavelot and Eau Rouge are there someone could do the whole 9 yards for vintage mod. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2012
  13. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I like this track. I really haven't been too excited about the 370's until I tried 'em on this track.
    For some reason the layout on this track rejuvenated interest in the 370.

14. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

this rapid conversion to 3DsimED 3Beta? With the exception of the track.
    I gathered during its history of more than 8 tracks for rF1. The public version is only one.
    Train with rF2, but unfortunately my computer does not pull the maximum graphics quality, to configure what that thing on the track. So I did not try to do now for rF2. And almost threw it. ((

15. Philip00

Philip00 Member

Hi all!

I played with this and gp79 mod, and in race settings, i setup full reany weather in 5 lap race. In the first 2 laps all was okey, but in the 3rd lap the rain stop falling (despite i set full rain in whloe race)and ideal line became dry after half lap. in the 4th lap rain start falling again and all track became damp again. I check time scale in option but was in normal.
    Why this hapened( build 590)

16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Did you read anything in this thread before posting?

17. LaZanzaraRombante

LaZanzaraRombante Registered

18. philrob

philrob Registered

19. Louis

Louis Registered

yes

20. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

If you added a . it could have been one button Press per year since the question was asked , lmfao